It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WORLD: Korea Showdown - Latest News and Updates.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by JanusFIN
This suicide of Ex-President of South Korea is very strange, something to remember for possible future revealings... Timing is - "There is no coincidences in politics" ... So was it to silence the one who knew, or he oppose the future decissions? Just thoughts...

Good catch! So, the ex-President's suicide happened this past Saturday, May 23rd? Just about 24 hours, or so, before NK's recent nuclear test? I'm not sure why this isn't news, at least I haven't heard any mention of it.

Here's a quote from the link, you provided:

Roh traveled to Pyongyang for a face-to-face summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong-il in 2007 and gave billions of dollars in unconditional aid to the north. Relations between the two sides quickly deteriorated after Roh left office and was succeeded by the harder-line Lee Myung-bak.

This could just be coincidental, but I would certainly be interested in learning more.

[edit on 28-5-2009 by SourGrapes]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by JanusFIN

So basically the UN is playing the same toothless game it has all along; hold expensive meetings where they discuss the same things again and again, and then they come out of it repeating exactly what they said last time.

Wow, why are these people in their respective positions?

I'd love to be paid what they are paid to sit in a room for a few hours and argue over how best to word a statement to tell a nation that they've been very naughty.
How do I get a gig like that?

I don't think we should pay any attention to what the UN states, they're obviously not making any moves of note. If anything is going to happen it'll be the military spokespeople, NATO and government leaders making statements and proposals that move things in any direction.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   

I don't think North Korea realizes it's powerless though. I think Il thinks he's a superpower on rate with the US, since he has nuclear weapons.

I think this is what the NKorea population thinks, hopefully not the leader. But sometimes leader are buying into their own propaganda.

I don't know about a coup. I remember hearing on CNNInternational yesterday that the NKorean military removed people what wanted to start a coup.

That is really possible. The people in NK are brainwashed, the only ones who DARE to ask question are those who are in contact with the exterior, for example, the NK soldiers at the DMZ.

I wouldn't say being able to kill double digit millions of people *powerless* but hey thats me...

I'm talking in military terms. Meaning invading, taking ground, maintaining ground... But yeah, they are not powerless in the sense of killing millions of civilians, otherwise NK would already be under NATO control.

Although i personally believe this whole scenario will die down within a week.

Likely outcome. But we'll probably see more... we'll probably have a few shootout, TOP..like in 99 and 2002. The difference is that now there's a hawk in Seoul... and Kim Jong Il is probably near death.

What is situation with US satelites above North Korea - and other surveillance systems now?

To respond to your question, they've increased surveillance activities, meaning UAVs, stealth aircrafts, satellite... everything. But yeah, seeing everything is impossible. All NK military airports are UNDERGROUND. They have hundreds of tunnels all around NK for troops.... so yeah basically it would be hard to see... They MAYBE would be able to pull off a surprise attack, but to go where? Seoul? Seriously?

In the 50s war, the UN/NATO was losing until the NK-China had no more air coverage.... today, they have NONE. And even if they have, F-22 and F-15i would kick their butts in a few hours.

An important article... new interesting info...
US, SKorea militaries gird for NKorean provocation

Seoul moved a 3,500-ton destroyer into waters near the Koreas' disputed western maritime border while smaller, high-speed vessels were keeping guard at the front line, South Korean news reports said. Yonhap said the destroyer has artillery guns, anti-ship guided missiles, ship-to-air missiles and torpedoes. Air force fighters are were on standby, the report said.

So a destroyer...

The defense ministry said the U.S. and South Korean militaries would increase surveillance activities.

There you go, more surveillance.

Pyongyang, meanwhile, positioned artillery guns along the west coast on its side of the border, the Yonhap news agency said. The Joint Chiefs of Staffs in Seoul refused to confirm the reports.

They already have a bunch of them... 12.000... at this rate, it doesn't matter if they put a few hundreds more.

Seoul has said its military would "respond sternly" to any North Korean provocation, and that it would be able to contain the North with the help of U.S. troops.

SK troops are under US command BTW.

South Korea's mass-circulation JoongAng Ilbo newspaper said more anti-air missiles and artillery were dispatched to military bases on islands near the disputed western sea border with North Korea.

Which NK threatenned to invade.

A Russian Foreign Ministry official said Moscow did not want to see Pyongyang further isolated. Andrei Nesterenko said Russia opposed sanctions but did not object to a U.N. resolution.

There's conflicting reports on Russia and sanctions. From Japan, we heard they push the sanctions, and from US sources that they did not...

China being 'very helpful' on North Korea: White House
We'll see what's done in the end...

Update: Likely BS...
U.S. orders Non-Essentials off SK Bases

[edit on 28-5-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SourGrapes

The "suicide" of the previous S.Korean leader was reported in the UK. I saw it mentioned a few times.

I was immediately suspicious. When any leader or government official (past or present) takes such a step, it has to be viewed as suspicious.

I certainly believe he was killed, either to silence him or to make a clear point that the South then tried to cover up by making it a suicide.

But that's just my take on it.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

I think kim john il will take his own life also. For one hes old leading a country that should just destroy itself anyway because there poor and all screwed up. He will end up attacking someone and he might just kill himself if he realizes his gods toilet of a country comes to an end unless we kill him first. But i also wonder what do people think in Nk about there own country since it is pretty isolated they might just think they are a superpower

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
i dont think this will die down as easy as everyone thinks in here. A proven way to help the economy is a war. All economies are struggling right now so they wouldn't oppose.

Lil Kim is also a nut case that's on his last legs and has small man syndrome thanks to his father.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
A list of headlines coming up on my ticker.
Not articles except the last one.

N.K Headline

N.K Headline

N.K Headline

N.K.Headline

N.K Headline

N.K article

[edit on 28/5/09 by gallifreyan medic]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
N korea nukes paid for by the US? This article on infowars thinks so.
www.infowars.com...

When this all started to show itself on the news i thought that it will be like everything else and nothing will become of it. There will be some squabbling here and there but it wont amount to anything. But since N korea have scrapped the peace treaty and threatened military action this has quickly gotten far more serious and i honestly think there may be conflict. Whats even more worrying is if it does result in conflict then many countries could get dragged into this. It could get very nasty very quickly.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Yeah I see your point - so worthless UN has been in all Mid East issues, and when real crisis is going with huge human sufferings, like Darfur, Gaza, Pakistan... Its just no where around.

All what I wait from UN is SCO stance in this issue - and what that table of empty talks can offer to learn situation in geostrategical game - and if we can see signs from conspiracies in action.

If this is NWO operation or not, signs of that will appear in UN resolutions... Between the lines. If there comes no resolution at all - we can see that conspiracies are very strong and divided.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   

You know, I was just thinking the other day, "how convenient all of this nuclear and missile testing would be for the U.S., amid it's indebtedness to China".

Let me explain, quick and simple.

Let's just say that the U.S. has reason to take out Kim and dismantle his nuclear and missile capabilities.

Then, with the help of the new SK administration, rejoin the two countries, erasing the DMZ and reuniting long-lost families.

After only a few months of hugs and kisses, just hand it all (both NK and SK) over to China, in a big negotiation to satisfy most (if not all) of our debts.

If the previous SK President knew (or caught wind of) any of these plans, would he have squealed to NK?

Crazy thinking?

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Also, i am very surprised that not much is being reported in the mainstream media. I wonder if it is being deliberately downplayed due to its seriousness.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaceMonkeys

hmmm, well that certainly would go along with the hypothesis in my previous post. It just seems so orchestrated.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by octotom

I was telling some one the other day, that North Korea has delusions about how powerful they really are. Their latest Nuclear Test might be making them THINK that they are powerful enough to impose their will without negative reaction.

But notice they've stopped saying or doing anything, it's the same old chickenSh*! North Korea, lots of talk and no show.

They do just enough to get attention then they stop. Like a country full of little kids that throw a tantrum when they get ignored. China is like North Koreas Parent...

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceMonkeys
Also, i am very surprised that not much is being reported in the mainstream media. I wonder if it is being deliberately downplayed due to its seriousness.

Exactly! Why isn't this on the U.S. news, or at least a ticker or two? Unless, of course, the U.S. had something to do with it.

I could see the suicide not making main-stream news, or it being pushed to the side, IF all of the NK saber rattling weren't going on. Given Kim Jong Il's most recent events, the suicide just seems like it would be thrown in somewhere. At least as a, "in other Korean news".

See what I mean?

Edit: oops, I just realized the name of the thread and the intentions. I apologize, Janus, for derailing it with conspiracy rhetoric.

[edit on 28-5-2009 by SourGrapes]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceMonkeys

How un-skeptic of you...

The fact that no major media outlet is giving this much attention is just that, it's nothing new from North Korea, until they blow up a ship or open fire on someone, it's the same ol' crap coming from them.

And I'd sh@! a brick if they actually did something that they knew they could not get away with...

They aren't so I'm pretty sure my butt will remain intact.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   

thats just messed but, when i think we should and hope we will destroy NK thus most likely joining the 2 together, i dont think we would give China it, but who knows even i do think its unlikely that would do it now but we could find ourselves in a situation to go to war with Korea in the future not to give it to China but for other reason but maybe give it to china if the country just falls apart.

Thats if we destroy the North first which i fully support and i dont care if we nuke them just do what must be done and do it quick.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
North's return to U.S. blacklist hinted

Prime Minister Taro Aso gave signs Thursday that the government is urging the U.S. to put North Korea back on its blacklist of state sponsors of terrorism in light of Monday's nuclear test by Pyongyang.

search.japantimes.co.jp...

EDIT - Looks like this one was older news, sorry!

Draft U.N. resolution condemns North Korea nuclear test

UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - A draft resolution being circulated among key Security Council members strongly condemns North Korea's nuclear test and urges U.N. members to begin enforcing previously approved sanctions against Pyongyang.

The council "condemns in the strongest terms the nuclear test conducted by (North Korea) on 25 May 2009 in flagrant violation and disregard of its relevant resolutions," said the draft, which was obtained by Reuters on Thursday.

It "calls upon all member states immediately to enforce the measures that were put in place by resolution 1718," passed in October 2006 after North Korea's first nuclear test.

www.reuters.com...

- If they start to shoot, they will do it tonight. Thats my opinion... After tomorrow its all about empty words, endless diplomacy and yet another UN resolutions... But for many people - Peace and another sunshiny day

[edit on 28-5-2009 by JanusFIN]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   

ive always been a firm believer that everything that happens in politics happens for a reason, its there because it was made that way. The people dont even get half the real story and this is how the elites get away with what they do. This is why the UN always make it look as if they are doing something about it yet never do, they are pretending to be incompetent and pretending to fail. I know many people dont like reinhardt and think he's a fraud but one think he has got spot on is when he says "the primary function of government is to pretend to fail", to hide their real agenda.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   

It's certainly interesting, and there is a lot that we'll never know. The CIA and other intelligence forces around the world are all intertwined in all of this. It's so vastly complicated.

But I have thought for a while that there needs to be a war. For the economic and social stability of various nations right now, a war would be a plausible thing.

It would solidify patriotism in the U.S. It would boost the economy (I haven't looked into HOW this happens, just that there is evidence that it does). And it would likely improve relations between the U.S. Russia and China (if they agree, or have no choice but to agree, on military action).

I don't think it is inevitable, but I do think that if NK steps over that DMZ, a major war could result.
And maybe that's what several nations are *hoping* for?

How the previous SK leader plays in all of this is anyone's guess. But I am certain he was murdered for a reason.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual

It's certainly interesting, and there is a lot that we'll never know. The CIA and other intelligence forces around the world are all intertwined in all of this. It's so vastly complicated.

But I have thought for a while that there needs to be a war. For the economic and social stability of various nations right now, a war would be a plausible thing.

It would solidify patriotism in the U.S. It would boost the economy (I haven't looked into HOW this happens, just that there is evidence that it does). And it would likely improve relations between the U.S. Russia and China (if they agree, or have no choice but to agree, on military action).

I don't think it is inevitable, but I do think that if NK steps over that DMZ, a major war could result.
And maybe that's what several nations are *hoping* for?

How the previous SK leader plays in all of this is anyone's guess. But I am certain he was murdered for a reason.

It would improve our economy if we were a manufacturing state but, most of our manufactuing is now over seas. A war would not help economically, unfortunately.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join