It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WORLD: Korea Showdown - Latest News and Updates.

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by gallifreyan medic

If NoKo does do something to SoKo, the US will be dragged into it because of our pact with SoKo.

If NoKo does anything, it will most likely be to SoKo, to try and reunite the peninsula.

If NoKo does anything, the US will be involved.

Beyond that, NoKo is an oppressive regime. I do remember then candidate Obama in a debate saying that the US has an obligation to go in and free oppressed peoples around the world, no matter where those people be. That is one reason why I (have) thought that we should at least do something to quiet down Kim. [As an aside, I always wondered after that statement why Obama wasn't in support of the Iraq war, though the intelligence was faulty, the people were none the less oppressed.]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   

North Korea test-fired a short-range missile Friday off the country's east coast, a South Korean military source said. It would be the sixth such missile test since the country conducted a nuclear test Monday.

Also Friday, North Korea upbraided the U.N. Security Council for slamming its nuclear test, calling the members of the body "hypocrites" and warning of "stronger self-defense countermeasures" as the world body considers more sanctions against the country.

cnn

fired another short range missile with plans to launch a long range missile this weekend.. interesting times we live in, such a great distraction from what really matters...

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   

the threats...
Against America, and SoKO, and japan..

I wish to listen for the rest of the night yet since no one spoke up I am responding.. My child stays at a daycare I see all kindsa kids and do what I can to be a role model for them, I don't wanna see my kids hurt in any way.. So I guess thats my response. not to mention my kids are of all heritage.. Their my kids.. American..

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   

As has been said countless times, the US is in an agreement to extend their protection to both Japan and SK.

That is why there is an assumption or belief that the US will act in this case.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by octotom

Thank you for your quick response.
Is it really that an oppresive regime as we are lead to believe?
N.K is meant to be big in using propoganda.But have we not learned yet that we are subjected to excactly the same thing?

N.K has basicly been a closed country for many years so what we really know of the place may not be totally true.
What has occured at times with north and south is no different than what the US has and still does.Rubbing at a wound to get a reaction and then say we have to do this.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Activity at two missiles sites implies that NK is kind of scared of one missile being striked by Japan, US or Korea...so they put 2 ready to shoot.

Strike both sites at the same time.. it's kinda hard.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by gallifreyan medic
reply to post by octotom

Thank you for your quick response.
Is it really that an oppresive regime as we are lead to believe?
N.K is meant to be big in using propoganda.But have we not learned yet that we are subjected to excactly the same thing?

N.K has basicly been a closed country for many years so what we really know of the place may not be totally true.
What has occured at times with north and south is no different than what the US has and still does.Rubbing at a wound to get a reaction and then say we have to do this.

All I can suggest is that you do some indipendent research into NK.

There are a few first-hand reports of what it is like in NK.

They have three TV stations, all government controlled and showing propaganda about their "great leader" on loop 24-7.
They have access to about 6 internet sites, all controlled by NK leadership.

So their propaganda is a lot worse than anywhere else on Earth. At least the Chinese have the ability to leave, to communicate with the outside world, to bypass certain net blocks if needed.

The poverty there is immense, with reports in the last three or four years of their people resorting to cannibalism to survive.

Defectors have often backed up the reports being made.

The military on their borders are there primarily to prevent people from leaving (what use is a dictatorship if you have no people left to control?)

It's a wildly depressed nation, just one look at any aerial images of NK will show a pretty eerie nation. Where are all the people?

The roads are all pretty empty, you can make out a few people here and there in a few places, but even in pyongyang it looks pretty desolate.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Adrifter

Ok the threats.
But were'nt the states a bit peed off when russia was parked in cuba?
N.K has had that exact situation for many years,so why should'nt they be peed off?
You can bet the only reason the US is interested in being there,and it is not for the south koreans or japanese.But for the good strategic position it has in the asian region.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
This story/analysis just in from AP on Yahoo News

news.yahoo.com...

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Aye, but for once I hope we have learned that lesson of the past.. the US that is.. Cuba, wow, different time.. Also space. good night folks.. hope we get some good stuff to debate tomorrow ..

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

They have three TV stations, all government controlled and showing propaganda about their "great leader" on loop 24-7.

We had 3 in the UK up until 1982 and then not 24/7 but she was on tv a lot.
I remember the net when there was not much to start with.Contolled by the only people at the time to do it.

So their propaganda is a lot worse than anywhere else on Earth.

Do you have a car,wear only certain clothing,drink a certain drink,have a TV,
watch whats on it,the news and read newspapers.Telling you Iraq had WMD's.
Bin laden alive even after a certain asian lady said of him having been killed?
Told N.K is a certain way?

The poverty there is immense, with reports in the last three or four years of their people resorting to cannibalism to survive.

In the US there are slums,ghettos and lately tent cities.
Cannablism?Maybe maybe not.Someone defects and is told to say this and that you can live somewhere nice.Im not saying thats true but it can come down to the propoganda machine.

The military on their borders are there primarily to prevent people from leaving (what use is a dictatorship if you have no people left to control?) It's a wildly depressed nation, just one look at any aerial images of NK will show a pretty eerie nation. Where are all the people? The roads are all pretty empty, you can make out a few people here and there in a few places, but even in pyongyang it looks pretty desolate.

Not being able to leave.Can you leave the US if you have a criminal record?There are also a few other reasons for not being able to but thats another thread.
At this moment there maybe one,two,many depressed nations with the economic climate.
I have google earth aswell.Wonder where all the people are in the towns I look at all over the globe.

I am not making this reply to cause any offence,just to give you a view of how it can be.Some may hate living in N.K some may not.

The same the world over.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Sorry.Wanted to get the bigger done first before mind does what it,What was I going to say?

I do sincerely hope that not one missile is launched other than that for testing.
Hell why moan at spears when in the states own back yard,god knows what is tested.Bet your left nut its probably more capable of mass deaths than what N.K has.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   

But were'nt the states a bit peed off when russia was parked in cuba?
N.K has had that exact situation for many years,so why should'nt they be peed off?

The situation in Cuba during the 60's was not analogous to the one in Korea today. Russia was not simply, "parked," in Cuba. They installed Nuclear ICBMs in the country.

A bit different, wouldn't you agree?

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Watchman

And there wouldn't be any sat just off shore of south korea.Would there?
Tins of tuna just merrily floating under the surface thats all.

Come on Night Watchman.I have seen you around other threads.I respect your posting but that was a little under par for you.
Give you a star though.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
just been watching the bbc news channel and they are saying that N korea are preparing for a long range missile launch. Its edgy times because if the US or anyone else shoot it down then there will be war.

[edit on 29-5-2009 by SpaceMonkeys]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaceMonkeys

Nuked,swine flu or a slip/trip fall bang head hard as you go to get a coffee or tea.
Hope this video will let you hold on to what is important.
The now,enjoy it.

Dont be put off by the title and doom.See it as it is.

Cannibalism.

[edit on 29/5/09 by gallifreyan medic]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Well that was funny in a depressing kind of way! Unfortunately there's truth in his prognostications. Except for this one: All our current difficulties lead to one thing. He's obsessed!

Thanks for the link. I enjoyed it. And it's short. I need short tonight.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
IMO they won't launch until next week... after all, they want to make the front page news!

NKorean nuclear test could spark arms race in Asia: Gates

What? It didn't in 2006, it won't now. NK is NOT a threat to anyone but SK and SK is protected as much as it can right now.

The only thing that could happen is Japan going public about their nuclear arsenal. But doing so would be stupid because it would tip off China.

The arms race wouldn't be because of NK, it would be Japan, then China, then Japan, then China... So NK would set it off, but it would end up being between Japan and China, not NK and Japan.

Update: Airmen, F-22s support Pacific presence mission

North Korea to move intercontinental missile: report

"We will not stand idly by as North Korea builds the capability to wreak destruction on any target in the region or on us," Gates told a meeting of Asian Defense ministers in Singapore. "We will not accept North Korea as a nuclear state."

What does that even mean? How will you stop them being a nuclear state without military action? Sanctions don't work.... or you're making empty threats like NK?

[edit on 29-5-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   

We had 3 in the UK up until 1982 and then not 24/7 but she was on tv a lot.
I remember the net when there was not much to start with.Contolled by the only people at the time to do it.

It's hard to make a comparison, but from what I have learned, NK TV is just looped footage of their leader, military parades and speeches. That's it. A little different to what we had in the UK until 1982.

Do you have a car,wear only certain clothing,drink a certain drink,have a TV,
watch whats on it,the news and read newspapers.Telling you Iraq had WMD's.
Bin laden alive even after a certain asian lady said of him having been killed?
Told N.K is a certain way?

No, actually. I don't have a car, I don't wear only specific brands (I'm a metaller), I don't drink only specific drinks or watch specific news. I don't trust the BBC to be independent and I don't trust a word my government says.

There is a BIG difference between our lives in the UK and those of the N.Koreans.

In the US there are slums,ghettos and lately tent cities.
Cannablism?Maybe maybe not.Someone defects and is told to say this and that you can live somewhere nice.Im not saying thats true but it can come down to the propoganda machine.

There are slums in every major nation, but to resort to cannibalism (as has been suggested by agencies) goes WAY further than your run-of-the-mill desperation.
In almost every other country people have access to health systems, charity and aid. In NK there are no such systems in place.
The people who would likely wish to help their fellow countrymen are just as impoverished.

Not being able to leave.Can you leave the US if you have a criminal record?There are also a few other reasons for not being able to but thats another thread.
At this moment there maybe one,two,many depressed nations with the economic climate.
I have google earth aswell.Wonder where all the people are in the towns I look at all over the globe.

Not being able to leave because you have committed a crime is a lot different to not being able to leave because you and your family are literally starving to death. I' surprised I even need to point this out.

No other place looks similar to NK, in almost every other nation you have signs of construction (beyond the military), signs of social events, car parks, planes, trains...
In NK, what I have seen shows none of this.

I am not making this reply to cause any offence,just to give you a view of how it can be.Some may hate living in N.K some may not.

Likewise.
But I think you have failed to actually see the country for how it is.
Your comparisons are inadequate to explain the situation there for those people.
I understand that some would probably love to live there, but I doubt that they are in the majority. If they knew what the rest of the world was like, I can guarantee the youth would rebel in an instant.

Again, all I can suggest is that you look into the facts for yourself and then form you own opinion, but I think you've already made up your mind that our democratic nations are just as bad. They're not perfect by any means, but they're certainly not as bad as living in NK.

TBH, we all complain about how bad things are in our own countries, but even in a worse-case-scenario, we're better off than the people of NK.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual
What they have threatened is an an immediate military attack should any of their vessels be stopped and searched.

Perhaps NK has been shipping rockets to Hamas via Iran, and know that when they are caught, all hell would break loose anyway...so why not go out with a bang and fire off some of your toys before the precision guided munitions turn them into smoking craters. Perhaps NK is acting in collusion with their best customer, as a distraction too... Perhaps....Perhaps that money from Iran may be all thats left to feed his people and oil his weapons...

Iran has been building what appear to be many hundreds of underground missile facilities, goto google earth and zoom in on the iranian side of the gulf of hormuz and some of their little islands...there is lots of stuff to see...facing the gulf...

And yeah the world "economy" needs a stage prop, a distraction...to buy our masters more time.

Sidebar: The most dangerous enemy of all has nothing left to lose.

[edit on 30-5-2009 by seataka]

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join