It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apache AH-64 Downed by Bolt Action Rifle?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 11:44 PM
link   

The following pictures are of the US Army AH-64 Apache gunship that was alledgedly shot down by a farmer with an old bolt action rifle. Two things to note. The composite material rotors shred when hit by large caliber objects. The "bullet" shown in picture six, which was taken from the downed Apache, is a 23mm Russian made anti-aircraft projectile. It is not fired from a bolt action rifle.

[Edited on 29-4-2004 by jetsetter]

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 11:59 PM
link   
where on the website is that article? i'd like to read the whole thing, but i can't find it.

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 12:17 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 02:31 AM
link   
I highly doubt this is the same helicopter. The apache that SHOULD(i think it was just Bagdad Bob propaganda) be taken down by a farmer was bombed and destroyed later by the american jets. So don't think this is the same helo

[Edited on 30-4-2004 by longbow]

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 02:55 AM
link   
this is the orgional pic:
Source

Notice there is grass on the ground.

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Ummm....The subject says "Apache AH-64 Downed by Bolt Action Rifle?" Yet the quote made in the first post, by ye who started this post, Jetsetter, was

It is not fired from a bolt action rifle

So...Well, feel free to call me a liar, but your subject seems to directly contradict your quote...('nother print screen clipboard image pasted into word, just in case
)

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Jetsetter what happened to the russian forum? Im Crazy_Ivan from there.

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 05:05 AM
link   
for this kind of things we have to have a explosive trigger device on the copter because when pilot are out they can give a self destruct signal to blow the plane up..

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I wouldn't doubt that a round from a high-powered bolt-action rifle could down a helicopter, but I seriously doubt a hit on the rotor would do it. Fuel tanks, weaponry, thin skin; helicopters are full of vulnerabilities, but the rotors aren't really one.

Tricky things, helicopters... I've heard them described as "not really one machine, but two thousand parts flying in close formation"

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Hitting a fuel cell won't bring it down, they are self sealing. The thin skin makes no difference as its only skin. With the redundant systems its even harder to take out the right system to drop the helicopter. Hit one of the gearboxes and life is going downhill rapidly! As far as the blades, there are variables involved, but yes, one can be taken down that way.

My ex-father in-law was taken down in Vietnam by a strike to the blade. Of course the fact that he was in a huey (two main blades), the round was artillery, and it took off three feet of a blade were enough variables to make it a bad day!

He survived just fine, BTW, before anybody calls me an arse about laughing about it.

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 01:45 AM
link   
In Zion's post, there is a picture of a guy holding up what looks alot like an AK-47. But it has another grip after the magazine? What kind of gun is this? Thomas, my dad was in Vietnam too. He was one of three air-traffic controllers on the helicopter carrier Princeton, a refurbished WWII carrier. Was your dad flying off of a carrier or out of a land base?

[Edited on 5-2-04 by xenophanes85]

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 04:11 AM
link   
The gun the guy in the pic is holding is a AKM a modernized AK-47 The grip you see is just a foregrip on the AK they can be put on most AKs

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by CoMrAdE_IvAn
Jetsetter what happened to the russian forum? Im Crazy_Ivan from there.

we are buying a domain name
, ill u2u you when its ready, or give me your msn.

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 11:13 AM
link   
it is possible to down a chopper witha rifle using armor piercing bullets and if u hit it in the thing that spins the proppeller on the top.

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by machinegunjordan
it is possible to down a chopper witha rifle using armor piercing bullets and if u hit it in thing that spins the proppeller on the top.

Maybe, if you can hit it. I dont believe a single bullet will bring down a chopper. I would think if you hit it in the fuel tank, Thomas said that not a option.

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 11:24 AM
link   
i dun no y no one proposed this but y not shoot the pilot maybe the glass is bullet proof. and hittin that thing wouldnt be too hard cuz apaches fly low to the ground and sneak up they r quiet sometimes they fly 180mph 5 ft. off the ground but they fly below tree level a lot.

new topics

top topics

join