It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Chinese Stealthy Fast Attack Craft

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Here is an interesting new design from the Chinese. I like the look.

The Chinese navy has developed a new stealthy trimaran fast attack craft (FAC) design. It will probably grow into a larger more versatile platform, similar to the U.S. Littoral Combat Ship (LCS) program. The use of advanced trimaran hull shows that the Chinese are able to incorporate advanced European and Australian fast ferry technology a bit faster than the U.S., as American programs to use these ships and this hull technology are only in the design and experiment stage. While the U.S. did use some Australian designed fast ferries in the 2003 Iraq invasion, the U.S. does not have ships coming off the lines, like the Chinese do. On one level, this new FAC is a Chinese program to replace old conventional hull designs, and to exceed the capabilities of Taiwan's new stealthy FAC design. The trimaran hull configuration confers greater high speed capability in heavy weather, while providing a large deck space for multiple uses.

This first ship appears to be focused on the FAC mission, and appears to be designed for the installation of anti-ship missile launchers amidship (in the middle of the ship). But we can safely expect that the Chinese will soon design and build larger models that can carry UAVs and small boats for landing commandoes, as the U.S. may soon be doing. The Chinese will probably already have its version of the digital connectivity which lies at the heart of the LCS program. So here we have an area of military technical competition in which the Chinese are demonstrating creativity and a potential ability to match the U.S. just as it is embarking on a new direction in naval warship and combat tactics modernization.

The new Chinese FAC design also demonstrates that the real naval threat from China is not aircraft carriers and large destroyers bought from Russia. No, the real threat is quiet diesel submarines and small ships like this new FAC. The real potential of this new design would be its use in co-ordination with their diesel subs and, possibly, theater ballistic missiles with precision guidance. A combination like that could enable the Chinese to deny the U.S. Navy the ability to safely move in some vital areas, such as the waters surrounding Taiwan.

[Edited on 29-4-2004 by jetsetter]

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Do you know where these photos took?

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Nope, sorry I do not know.

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 09:41 AM
link   
i wonder whether they are doing stealth research or just made it look stealthy

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 11:34 AM
link   
i once found it on a chinese frum, remember it was taken in Dalian

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 09:28 AM
link   
looks more like a wave piercing cat than a trimaran

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by paperplane_uk
looks more like a wave piercing cat than a trimaran

yeah id have to agree. the 3 struts are not spaced out very far are they.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Saw this way to many times. But its a cool craft and a tech jump for China. They need it.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 02:07 PM
link   
This might be some new info that i found but maybe most of you already saw it.

The PLA Navy has launched a new missile fast attack craft (FAC) based on a unique wave-piercing catamaran hull with apparent stealthy features. The vessel, carrying the pennant number 2208, was first seen in Qiuxin Shipyard, Shanghai in April 2004. No further building of similar vessels has been identified so far. The boat 2208 might merely serve as a technical demonstration platform, based on which new concepts and technologies could be tested.

Rest of the article

The PLA Navy 2208 boat under sea trial near Shanghai.

When travelling at a high speed, the hull of the boat is lifted up to above the water surface to reduce the water resistance.

The hull of the boat 2208 bears apparent radar-cross-section (RCS) reduction features. The aft structure may house two to four anti-ship cruise missiles.

Out,
Russian

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Interesting, I do believe this is a major jump in technology for China.

Good Job China!

I wonder how many stealth cruisers America has.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Yes its a tech jump for China.

Out,
Russian

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 10:19 PM
link   
USA has a similar boat, is little and udetectable for the radar, the boat can carry and shoot a nuclear bomb. Right now I dont remember where you can find info about it.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by wrath_of_god
USA has a similar boat, is little and udetectable for the radar, the boat can carry and shoot a nuclear bomb. Right now I dont remember where you can find info about it.

You don't shoot a nuclear "bomb." Bomb would imply drop. So technically you'll drop the bomb into the water
. If you meant shoot a nuclear missile, it's called a nuclear submarine - all the world powers have that, it's nothing special that the US has going here.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 02:35 AM
link   
It would be interesting to know if it is actually stealthy and how fast it is.

It also looks like something that can be massed produced and not as complicated as a hydrofoil design.

It could also be an Edsel.......come any 50s car buffs out there?

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blackout

You don't shoot a nuclear "bomb." Bomb would imply drop. So technically you'll drop the bomb into the water
. If you meant shoot a nuclear missile, it's called a nuclear submarine - all the world powers have that, it's nothing special that the US has going here.

Actually the U.S. did develop a nuclear round that if fired from an artillery gun. I don't see it being too far fetched to say that it could fire a nuclear round. I don't believe that they use them much anymore, but who knows.

Nuclear artillery

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Please if you post something like this.... Have some back up.

Out,
Russian

top topics

join