It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toledo, OH Police Layoffs Leading To Gun Buying

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Toledo police layoffs leading to gun buying

TOLEDO, OH (WTOL) - The first round of Toledo police layoffs, in which 75 officers were let go, may already be having an affect on gun ownership.

"I just don't feel safe with the amount they're laying off," says Jonna Ewing. "I think it's going to be a longer respond time."

She is spending the day at a conceal carry class. She's been thinking of getting a gun for awhile, but feels now's the time due to the recent layoffs.

She's not alone. Case in point, someone in Jonna's class wears one those infamous police t-shirts: "I called 911 and all I got was this lousy garbage can" that showed up soon after the TPD cuts.

Tom Urbanski runs Ski's Firearms Training & Consulting. He also teaches the conceal carry classes.

For him, the layoffs mean big business as people are taking safety into their own hands.

"People are panicking, they're figuring the only way they can protect themselves is for them to protect themselves," says Urbanski. "So yeah, my business is booming."

Urbanski says since the presidential election and the collapse of the economy, people have become more interested in owning guns.

He says locally the police layoffs and recent attacks on the elderly are only fueling the fire, especially for senior citizens.

"They don't have much support out there. Their family is not visiting as often so they're having to be their own protectors. I'm seeing an increase in the elderly."

For Toledoans like Jonna, having a gun and knowing how to use it means she'll sleep just a little better.

How many here are feeling less safe and have invested in self protection since the turn of the new year about 5 months back? I personally have owned a handgun for quite a few years, but I haven't taken a CCW class yet. I am seriously thinking about it before the end of the year, though.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I'm in Ohio. I keep trying to bring up the importance of this topic with my husband. He just keeps avoiding the subject. Soon, with all the layoffs in emergency responders, personal protection will be the ONLY option. I just hope he gets it before its too late for both of us. I'm just about to take care of it without him.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Nowadays police are more apt to react to a crime rather than prevent one so I can certainly understand what is happening in Toledo and similar cities throughout this country. This is why I keep a shotgun and a handgun at the ready in my bedroom. I haven't taken my ccw classes yet and if time allows I would like to do so over the Summer.

join