It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Korea and U.S. Raise Alert Level

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 06:51 AM
link   

South Korea and U.S. Raise Alert Level

www.nytimes.com

SEOUL, South Korea — One day after North Korea warned of a possible attack against the South, the United States and South Korea ordered their forces here to their highest alert for three years, increasing surveillance flights and satellite reconnaissance to counter what officials termed a “grave threat.”

The South Korean Defense Ministry said allied troops, including, 28,000 U.S. soldiers based in South Korea, raised their Watch Condition, or Watchcon, to the second-highest level from Watchcon 3 to Watchcon 2.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit: title to same as source]
Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source.

[edit on 28-5-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Sources close to MiNa claim the US Army has moved their alert level to Defcon 2. This was initiated by the alarming situation in North Korea. The US Army has over 35,000 troops stationed in South Korea, well within reach of North Korean convential weapons.

North Korea has the largest artillery force (can be equipped with nuclear warheads) in the world, which adds more to the already tense situation.

The process of changing the reconnaissance posture for strategic and tactical warning of attack operated by ROK and US military forces is called the WATCHCON system. There are about 180 unusual North Korean military movements on the "Indication and Warning Lists" which are intensively monitored, based on the WATCHCON levels. The Watch Condition hierarchy is characterised by four stages: WATCHCON 4 (normal peacetime position), WATCHCON 3 (important indications of threat), WATCHCON 2 (vital indications of threat), and WATCHCON 1 (wartime situation). The WATCHCON is normally raised by the agreement of ROK and US military intelligence authorities.

In normal defense situations, the South Korean troops maintain Watchcon 3 surveillance status and Defcon 4 defense readiness status. When tensions rise, the status is upgraded, and in war, they are raised to Watchcon 1 and Defcon 1.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   
I'm not surprised. It is to be expected. Afterall .. the crazy loon in charge of North Korea just said that the cease fire - which has held for more than 50 years - is officially over.

When I was in the Army I was stationed in Japan for three years. Our mission was to support Korea if the war ever started back up. It was widely 'common knowledge' (nothing official) that our troops in Korea were just there to slow down the N. Koreans and that we expected massive casualties among the troops there. Near total wipeouts in fact.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Well of course.

North Korea is basically back at war with South Korea... it's like during WW2... The German and Soviet armies were standing both in front of each other for months before Kursk... Then the date arrived and it was FIGHT TIME.

Hopefully, it will not come to this with NK-SK... Otherwise, it won't end well.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

He's a lune allright, why do they keep 'pressuring' on with this, N Korea must see that this 'war game' can go realy bad if there is a 'Slip Up'.
It doesnt take much to trigger a war here .

Just look what happend when they sent up that rocket not so long ago, and this thing came flying making S.Korea to believe it was an missile attack from N.Korea...

This happend here in Norway many years ago, we shot up an test rocket on an island called 'BjørnØya' (Bear Island) , and I think it was Gorbatjov that had his finger on the trigger because some slipp up in the 'communications' accured...

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
it is this quote from the article that makes me believe it's more scaremongering,

"North Korea has the largest artillery force (can be equipped with nuclear warheads) in the world, which adds more to the already tense situation."

can be equipped with nuclear warheads ? have they got artillery that will fire something the size of a truck ? because that's how big a primitive nuclear weapon would likely have been that was only recently tested.

Ignore the bogeyman for now and look closer to home at the financial news.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by yellowbeard

It is possible to shoot nukes from cannons..

You see
this was in the 50's ...
Imagine they mount nukes on an Metal Storm Nade Launcher, then your in trouble..

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 07:37 AM
link   
The level was implemented back in 2006 as well. This is really nothing major. War will not occur, only another round of tedious skirmishes of gun fire in the Sea of Japan.

Unless North Korea launches air strikes then we can expect diplomatic channels to reopen again in the winter.

[edit on 28-5-2009 by infinite]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChemBreather
reply to post by yellowbeard

It is possible to shoot nukes from cannons..

You see
this was in the 50's ...
Imagine they mount nukes on an Metal Storm Nade Launcher, then your in trouble..

good call..

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I believe Kim Jong is ready to go to war, he wants his name remembered and hes on his way out. He has the appearance of a very unhealthy man!

But i dont believe they would recieve any help from supposed allies like China

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ChemBreather

Hang on

Australia hasn't gotten around to that yet. We have only just taught a broom stick to fly.........Give us 5 days and we will see what we can come up with!!!

[edit on 28-5-2009 by LenGXV6]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by DofEgold
I believe Kim Jong is ready to go to war, he wants his name remembered and hes on his way out. He has the appearance of a very unhealthy man!

This is such a valiant display of (innocent, yet still malignant) ignorance.. do you honestly believe Kim II would single-handedly destroy his own nation, his people, his legacy? All it would do is prove the world was correct in calling him a loon for so many years... not to mention it would set the stage for the destruction of his nation, disallowing his son to take the throne as his predecessor.

This thread seems to be nothing but fear and war mongering. I am far from impressed.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by ninecrimes

It isn't fear mongering it is just true analysis of the situation.

If you are not impressed why don't you go to another thread and discuss "Bigfoot" or the predictable "UFO's".

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by ninecrimes

Originally posted by DofEgold

This is such a valiant display of (innocent, yet still malignant) ignorance.. do you honestly believe Kim II would single-handedly destroy his own nation, his people, his legacy? All it would do is prove the world was correct in calling him a loon for so many years... not to mention it would set the stage for the destruction of his nation, disallowing his son to take the throne as his predecessor.

This thread seems to be nothing but fear and war mongering. I am far from impressed.

No his goal would be to die an honorable death in the line of fire defending his nation from the devils that attacked it and his son to the take power of the country instead of dieing from heart failure. This way in his mind he appears as a god sent to his people and will rally the troops and citizens behind his son to back his family up 100 percent.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by jonny2410
reply to post by ninecrimes

It isn't fear mongering it is just true analysis of the situation.

If you are not impressed why don't you go to another thread and discuss "Bigfoot" or the predictable "UFO's".

Well said my friend. People should look at the facts and do some research before they start screaming "FEARMONGERS"

Get your fingers from up your backsides and click on the search button

top topics

join