It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rosswell 1947 Not First UFO crash, Erath 1891.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 05:57 AM
link   
UFO Crash in North Texas 1891

Erath county seems to be 'visited' alot, 'Hudgeons said, according to MUFON records, the total number of sighting reports in Texas, beginning in 1977 and continuing through late 2007, is slightly more than 400. '

Source Link

When dozens of people in Erath County, Texas spotted a half mile-long UFO in the skies above them in January 2008, a couple of area residents turned to local history books for clues about what happened. Located 80 miles southwest of Fort Worth, the neighboring towns of Stephenville and Dublin lie in the very midst of what has been, historically, a hotbed for UFO activity. In fact, it has recently come to light that 56 years before the famous Roswell, New Mexico UFO crash of 1947, the tiny town of Dublin was the site of a Roswell-like event, involving an aerial explosion of a UFO, followed by the discovery of strange debris containing mysterious, undecipherable writing.

Saturday, June 13, 1891, was a quiet summer day in Dublin, which had a population of just over 2,000 people. One of town’s major industries, the Wasson & Miller flour mill and cotton gin, had already wound down operations for the week. As evening came, a number of local residents were outdoors near the gin, walking and otherwise enjoying the leisurely summer weekend. Among the persons in the vicinity, the Dublin newspaper later reported, was an unnamed “gentleman” who witnessed an event like few others in the history of human affairs.

The unidentified man, described by the newspaper as a generally trustworthy witness, observed a bright, oblong-shaped object hovering about 300 feet in the sky above the gin. Although referred to as a “meteor,” the UFO’s strange behavior suggested that it was something entirely different. Struggling to describe the strange object in the terminology of an era before air travel, the witness stated that it looked like “a bale of cotton suspended in the air after having been saturated in kerosene oil and ignited, except that it created a much brighter light, almost dazzling those who perceived it.” While the general appearance was like a cotton bale, the observer gave no indication of the dimensions or overall size of the object. Apparently, he was so frightened by the UFO that he hastily withdrew from the scene before making any sort of guess at the object’s dimensions.

Especially striking about this account is the extreme intensity of light that emanated from the UFO. A kerosene-sparked flame would certainly not be bright enough to be said to “dazzle” viewers who stood several hundred feet away. This object, hovering in the sky above Dublin, exhibited a “much brighter light” than a conventional fire. The intense light may have been a sign that the air vehicle was in some kind of distress. Perhaps a fire had broken out on board the craft or something had caused it to overheat and build toward an explosion.

There are more sightings in this areea, alot apperantly.

From another story , stephenville..

Not knowing what to expect in the way of numbers of witnesses, eight field investigators attended from the organization from Austin, Waco, Dallas/ Fort Worth, and said they were pleased with results.

Chief Investigator Steve Hudgeons was asked if he believed the new reports were credible and said investigators are often faced with reports from individuals only wanting to get in on the action.

"Of the reports I have reviewed, I didn't get an impression that witnesses were not honest in their accounts," Hudgeons said. "As I have said before, this is a very, very, significant sighting."

MUFON investigates more Erath County UFO sighting reports

And another crash in Aurora in 1897.

'' Aurora is located West of Rhome and 1/4 mile South of SH 114. Aurora brings up images of high-speed space travel. In fact, our new space plane is named 'Aurora' for a UFO incident that took place in 1897. Last year was the 100th anniversary of the crash of an unknown airship in Aurora, TX. The TV show "Sightings" had a special called '100 years of UFO Cover ups,' that featured the recovery of an alien body in Aurora, Texas. ''

The Aurora Files
Here is the story as written in 1897 in the April 19 edition of the Dallas Morning News is as follows:

About 6 o'clock this morning the early risers of Aurora were astonished at the sudden appearance of the airship which has been sailing around the country. It was traveling due north and much nearer the earth than before. Evidently some of the machinery was out of order, for it was making a speed of only ten or twelve miles an hour, and gradually settling toward the earth. It sailed over the public square and when it reached the north part of town it collided with the tower of Judge Proctor's windmill and went into pieces with a terrific explosion, scattering debris over several acres of ground, wrecking the windmill and water tank and destroying the judge's flower garden. The pilot of the ship is supposed to have been the only one aboard and, while his remains were badly disfigured, enough of the original has been picked up to show that he was not an inhabitant of this world.
Mr. T.J. Weems, the U.S. Army Signal Service officer at this place and an authority on astronomy gives it as his opinion that the pilot was a native of the planet Mars. Papers found on his person -- evidently the records of his travels -- are written in some unknown hieroglyphics and cannot be deciphered. This ship was too badly wrecked to form any conclusion as to its construction or motive power. It was built of an unknown metal, resembling somewhat a mixture of aluminum and silver, and it must have weighed several tons. The town is today full of people who are viewing the wreckage and gathering specimens of strange metal from the debris. The pilot's funeral will take place tomorrow.

Please read the full articles for full insight.
These two cases is news to me, infact I allways thought that Roswell were the First ufo crash. I know ufos have been aroun for thousands of years, but crashes that early on ..

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Never heard this one before, interesting stuff!

They even found an eye witness in the 70's...

A ninety-one-year-old who had been a girl of fifteen in Aurora at the time of the reported incident was quoted. "I had all but forgotten the incident until it appeared in the newspapers recently." She said her parents had actually been to the crash sight, but had not allowed her to accompany them for fear of what might be in the debris. She recalled that the remains of the pilot, "a small man," had been buried in the Aurora cemetery, validating the other legends.

Good Find!

www.ufocasebook.com...

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by AltruisticNarcissist

Thnkx, stuff like this seems to have been forgotten, Roswell is what is the 'big ufo' story of the cenury...

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
This story is interesting. I've seen book references to it but not with so much detail.

One has to factor a few things in when dealing with reports from as far back as 1897. The population was not as sophisticated and something like an air balloon would appear confoundingly mysterious.

Notably too, in that era it was not unusual for reporters to invent stories on slack days and plug them into a paper as a genuine report on a real event.

How much if any of these factors are involved in this case I cannot say.
I think aeport somewhere alluded to the possibility that this was considered an invented story to bring attention to a dying community.

Also, is the information on the lady who retold her experience verifiable?
Is it possible this was invented as well? Is it possible she remembers only reading about it and has placed herself in the event unconsciously?

This sort of thing must always be considered.

But I'm interested in hearing more on this.

Mike

[edit on 31-5-2009 by mmiichael]

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
It's a little pretentious to say that we KNOW for a fact that Roswell was the "first" crash.

It's even more so to say:"Oh no , it was really in 1871 or something like that."

If aliens have been visiting it us, and have been in contact with previous civilizations, then there are MANY crashes that have occured, probably hundreds that we've simply just never found or the environment has washed away.

But in regards to the articles, I enjoy reading about new crashes and these two are new to me most certainly.

But let's not pretend any of us on this planet actually know anything about Et's or their craft/expeditions of the past.

~keeper

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
The mechanism of UFO or saucer flight might have been known
for some time.
However in the modern world we write things down to claim things.

Tesla was not the first to make AC engines and generators but was the
first to patent a working system that was finalized by GE.

There is speculation of Tesla writing out an electrical flight patent
in Europe. Also of saucer parts in the US and the eventual confiscation
of his work may have not given everything back to his home land
museum.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
"G"Day Wise One's,

Has your Gov dugg up the body yet?

Do they know where the body was placed in the ground?

If so will somebody exume the body and test it!!!!

Is there peaces of the craft still in Aurora?

Any one live near there that can go and have a look for us all?

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
The Aurora TX crash of 1897 was the subject of a UFO Files episode. The crew dug up the well on the property of the ranch, and found that there had been a windmill standing at the time of the crash. They also found some metallic pieces, and they were tested. The pieces were of almost pure aluminum, which while around would have been very expensive in the day. The water in the well had a high aluminum count, but the former rancher (whose pictures of his deformed hand are part of the puzzle) suffered from other medical problems that were not related to the crash.

The grave site was found, although it had collapsed which is not uncommon. They did not have permission to dig it up and examine the body.

The show did find evidence of a crash in Aurora Tx, but it could have been a dirigible created by a wealthy person. Here is a story that does not get much press about some people who built dirigibles and flew them at the time of such sightings in the late 19th Century:

www.houstonpress.com...

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

Only problem is that in the 1890's aluminum was so expensive even governments couldnt afford it.
If it was the dirigible of an uber wealthy person, they would have been well known, as the country was in the gip of its worst deppression.
they would have certainly made the news in thier home town with their airship.

And when they crashed nobody missed it, sorry doesnt really fill the gaps in the story. Also the aluminum found in the area of the well at aroura has a very high iron content, much higher than is know to be possible.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by punkinworks09

If you read the article, they group kept them in secret. While aluminum was expensive, it would of been easily affordable for the wealthy people who built them. Remember, Rockefeller had more money than the Federal Government back then.

I think the case is solved as a dirigible, as many of the people reported seeing propellers on the craft. Now, what kind of extraterrestrial craft would put on propellers?

The major point I am also trying to state is something did happen in Aurora. Investigation and research actually solved the case. This is what ufology needs, more than just rumors and third person stories to back up claims. This also shows the debunkers that they too need to look in on cases before they cry out hoax, or it never happened.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I'm not going to lie, I only opened this topic to see if the Erath you were talking about was Erath county. Lo and behold, it was!

I live not too far from both Dublin and Aurora (I live in Ft. Worth), and I have been to both cities several times. Both towns are small enough that you can see just about everything while passing through on the main street (usually the Highway). Most people that I know don't even know about Aurora, but if you ask them about Dublin, they will immediately start talking about how good Dublin Dr Pepper is.

Even with living here my entire life, I have never heard of any form of a UFO story in this area (Dallas/Ft. Worth and surrounding North Texas), with the exception of the recent events in Stephenville.

Definitely a good read, and a good find.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by punkinworks09
reply to post by kidflash2008

Only problem is that in the 1890's aluminum was so expensive even governments couldnt afford it.
If it was the dirigible of an uber wealthy person, they would have been well known, as the country was in the gip of its worst deppression.
they would have certainly made the news in thier home town with their airship.

And when they crashed nobody missed it, sorry doesnt really fill the gaps in the story. Also the aluminum found in the area of the well at aroura has a very high iron content, much higher than is know to be possible.

Not to forget, that the body also was declared to clearly not be Human, and also very small. Further, other odd events happened in the community in the time around the crash. Among other things, Men in Black-like individuals were also encountered.

new topics

top topics

join