It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7.1-magnitude earthquake off Honduras coast

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 04:33 AM
link   

7.1-magnitude earthquake off Honduras coast

www.msnbc.msn.com

MEXICO CITY - A strong earthquake struck early Thursday off the coast of Honduras, sending people running into the streets as far away as Guatemala.

The quake had a preliminary magnitude of 7.1 and was at the relatively shallow depth of 6 miles, according to the U.S. Geological Survey in Golden, Colorado.

The quake struck 80 miles northeast of La Ceiba, Honduras, and 200 miles from the capital, Tegucigalpa.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Huge earthquake near the gulf. I'm not sure when the last large one was in this area but i hope it doesnt trigger any more closer to home. I hope everyone is ok from this disaster. We will have to wait and see if a tsunami results.

Could this be linked to the recent extreme tides noted in another thread.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by iamcamouflage

USGS

Extreme Tides

USGS details

[edit on 28-5-2009 by iamcamouflage]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Based on the location of the quake and the shape of the coast line, it looks kinda scary for the a potential tsunami. Its a V shaped coast and the quake was near the top of the open part of the V. I am no expert but that does not look good. I hope that any people living on the coast in those areas are able to get to higher ground.

Does anyone know what the the tsunami warning system is like in that area? Does this area have many quakes? tsunamis? I do watch the USGS page and I personally havent noticed a lot in the area but I could be wrong.

USGS Map Close up

[edit on 28-5-2009 by iamcamouflage]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 04:45 AM
link   

The area is known for being ok, No large tsunami is predicted for that area based on previous data and quakes,
If anything it will be localised,

There are no reports of any damage, Though waiting on Honduras to make a statements about any damage,

Surrounding areas have reported no damage,

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Here are a couple more links, the CBS links states that "The warning center said there was no threat of a "destructive widespread" tsunami, but rather "the possibility of a local tsunami that could affect coasts located usually no more than a hundred kilometers (60 miles) from the earthquake epicenter."

CBS

SkyNews - Good map

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Ok im getting some info that Honduras may have quite serious damage,
Tsunami warning has been lifted,

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Update
13 years old first victim of earthquake

San Pedro Sula, Honduras

Little Funez Ray Maldonado, 14, lost his life in the room where he slept in the house located in Cologne Two Pineda, La Lima, and became the first victim because of the 7.1 degrees Richter eartquake that hit Honduras in the early hours of Thursday.

Source: La Prensa (HN) ( Niño de 13 años primer muerto en Honduras

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
aleady posted here:
A Strong Earthquake has hit Honduras (7.1) (damage reported)

The beat you by 30 mins...

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers
aleady posted here:
A Strong Earthquake has hit Honduras (7.1) (damage reported)

The beat you by 30 mins...

Hey there, Just to note, its ok to have 2 topics if one is in breaking news and the other is on the boards

So both can stay,

new topics

top topics

join