It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IF you came accross a race like ours in space, would you greet them? (Y/N)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ugie1028

You live, you learn. I wouldn't judge you soo harshly as you are judging yourself. And you will most likely get flamed but you're not advocating things about that group that you weren't even aware of. Sure some will argue that you did but that is pure hooey and a testament to just how much we humans love our "lynch mobs" regardless of right and wrong.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

You live, you learn. I wouldn't judge you soo harshly as you are judging yourself. And you will most likely get flamed but you're not advocating things about that group that you weren't even aware of. Sure some will argue that you did but that is pure hooey and a testament to just how much we humans love our "lynch mobs" regardless of right and wrong.

lol i hope i dont get lynched!!!

thanks for the pep talk. im going to go babysit that thread now.

I have a feeling that i might be explaining myself very soon.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   

*chuckles* Make a game of it and don't take it personally is my advice.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

i will take that advice and run with it.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by ugie1028

Point One: We are NOT a peaceful species. OUR HISTORY is littered with WARS, corruption, lies, etc. WE ARE DANGEROUS as a species. Think to yourself, this is true.

Not trying to play Devil's Advocate or anything but, if you were an alien flying along through space and happened to notice Earth, how could you possibly have any idea that it was largely littered with a parasitical, war-like, self-absorbed, ignorant and dangerous species?

Now if you decided to park in orbit and observe for a while then, sure, you could get a fairly good clue (providing you could decipher the language or languages in reasonably short order). Of course from the video transmissions you might also get the idea that we are race of obsessive gardeners, landscapers, and forensic scientist cooks who all look like supermodels and live together in posh apartments and have great fun all the time just being so completely cool. Providing you understand the concept of being cool.

On the other hand, let's say you were one of the 'Ancient Astronauts' who genetically altered basic primates to hybridise them into the human race (a la Sitchen) and you returned to see the state of things today. Then I could see just wanting to blast the rock out of existence and start again some place else or maybe make contact to find out what the hell went so completely wrong.

The biggest concern I have, though (and this is a niggling bit of a problem I often have with a number of UFO contact related discussions), is; why would a space-faring civilisation just automatically choose to make contact with the United States? That's a fairly ego-centric and myopic view on our part.

Perhaps a civilisation - knowing nothing of our planet or its biological life - would choose, for practical reasons, to set down on the largest landmass (which is not the US) or choose the most populated area (which is not the US) to make contact with more creatures all at once - or any number of other areas for any number of reasons.

Just sayin...

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   

hey guys i cant seem to think of anything to post for my username here so i guess ill post the space question...if im perhaps in my own spaceship and i perchance come upon another race while im in space,,,,traveling...in my own...spaceship... would you greet another race of space beings in their own spaceships?.....................

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
It's amazing the number of people who have very little respect for their own species. That's not a criticism. I quite agree. I think mankind is awesome in potential, but pretty worthless in present reality.

What interests me is how many of us realize this - realize that mankind is in a catastrophic mess and yet....nothing changes. If that doesn't demonstrate that we are not "free", then I don't know what would.

Clearly we feel powerless to change things despite so many of us being so disgusted and disappointed with things as they are. If we were free then our collective disappointment with the way things are would swiftly translate to change for the better. But it doesn't. Why? Because we are lazy? Maybe in some cases, lazy and apathetic. But mostly I think it's because we feel powerless, and for good reason. We are not free. Our "freedom" is a thin veneer which has no real depth and no real effect. I think when enough of us reflect on the fact that we are not actually free and get angry enough about that then we will find away to remove the obstacles to freedom, our prison, the bars of which are many and subtle. Then we will be able to effect change. But until we realize we are prisoners and change that we'll never effectively change anything else.

Rather off topic I know, but it was what occurred to me reading the responses on this thread

[edit on 31-5-2009 by Malcram]

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Malcram

Oh, I do notice the potential we have for good. But I call potential unrealise potential wasted and thusly not factoring in. When one analyse's our race for the label "good" or "evil". Somewhat like the saying "All the good intent in the world does not redeem an evil act.". Actually, I think I just made that one up.
Isn't it true though?

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
If they were like us NO WAY! I agree with the fact that we are not a nice race. We are always fighting. I was talking with a customer yesterday about aliens and why they havent just come out and said "hey we are here." I told him it's probably because we are hostile to our own people and cant even accept other races or religions so why would they want to come and show themselves if we are just going to attack them. I have seen other threads on here where people say they would shoot at them. I ask why? If they are not hostile towards us why be that way towards them? If we cant accept our own people how would we accept anything like aliens? I myself know they are here and exist but so many others dont and dont even want to think about it. I would love for them to show up and say HI but I just dont know.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

convos will come up, and the reasons you and i and some of us have stated come up. some people say were being to critical... yes we can... and we have to be. you DON'T get anywhere unless you address it head on and being ignorant to the fact as a human race were evil, and downright evil.

yes love is out there, but were all polarized as evil. evil deeds WILL ALWAYS outrank the Goodness in our lives. we forget the good things, and focus on the negative.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows
reply to post by Malcram

Oh, I do notice the potential we have for good. But I call potential unrealise potential wasted and thusly not factoring in. When one analyse's our race for the label "good" or "evil". Somewhat like the saying "All the good intent in the world does not redeem an evil act.". Actually, I think I just made that one up.
Isn't it true though?

I agree, but unrealized potential isn't exactly wasted. It remains and waits for us to use it. We have to factor it in when assessing ourselves because if we don't then we might as well give up hope now. If we assess ourselves only on what we are at present, or have been in the past, as a species, rather than what we could be if we took back our power and evolved and changed things, then we might as well give up hope because we are condemned. That's why I understand, but can't quite agree with ugie's comment that "as a human race we're evil, and downright evil" and "we're all polarized as evil. evil deeds WILL ALWAYS outrank the Goodness in our lives. we forget the good things, and focus on the negative." To say that is to do exactly what is being criticized, to: "forget the good things, and focus on the negative"

The "good" is our potential, what could be, the "negative" is what we have been and are at present. To focus on the past as a justification for the present and an excuse for allowing it to occur in the future is, IMO, just the intellectual excuse for apathy and negativity.

We had better hope that any watching ET races also have the insight to assess us based on our potential rather than purely on our past and present.

As far as I'm concerned, we should focus on the negative just long enough to realize what needs to be changed, then we have to focus on the potential for change, stop whining, and take responsibility for contributing to change and then actually DO something about it.

A lot of people who are aware enough to realize mankind's terrible predicament seem to feel that they can absolve themselves of responsibility by simply saying "I know, I know. Isn't it terrible. I wish things would change", as if by saying that it somehow makes them "good people". Then their slide straight back into their consumer stupor. But are they actually prepared to get off their backsides and contribute to change? If not, they are as bad or worse IMO as the people who don't yet see mankind's predicament.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Malcram

Kudos, what you said is what i was trying to imply, i should of been a bit more clear.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Cheers, and sorry to take this a bit off topic. I'm heading more in a political direction that an ET one LOL. Although obviously they're related. But this thread raises a lot of interesting issues.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Malcram

its cool, i have been taking this thread left and right, up and down, kind of like a UFO doing maneuvers, actually this thread COULD, wait, ill stop. haha.

well this is a broad subject in any sense. were talking about inter-stellar politics because if we were to meet a race, intergalactic politics (would that be the right word to use?) would be in fact sort of on topic. it can touch many bases. it deals with everything with human behavior and what-not. the HUMAN image from ET's eyes. i hope you get what i mean.

ive been reading about disclosure since, well forever, and i don't beleive it will happen in our lifetime unless we show them that we can live in peace with one another.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Malcram
It's amazing the number of people who have very little respect for their own species. That's not a criticism. I quite agree. I think mankind is awesome in potential, but pretty worthless in present reality.

What interests me is how many of us realize this - realize that mankind is in a catastrophic mess and yet....nothing changes. If that doesn't demonstrate that we are not "free", then I don't know what would.

It's not an accurate assessment of human beings.

It's a trait of my peer group (young adults and some of the older teens - college students, typically). Many see very little of the human critter outside of their campus and "daily bubble" aside from what they see on TV and news bulletins written to be entertaining as opposed to informative.

People are people. I've talked with a number of individuals in political seats, and talked with top-level managers and owners of corporations. They are people. There are some that will bend over backwards for you, and there are others you wouldn't trust with change for a soda.

The drama of highschool lives on into the adult world. People become a bit less cliquish and a bit less judgmental on the whole - but the same highschool drama lives on.

We want a reason for that drama - to sensationalize it. We want a reason for the drama - all cheerleaders are brainless, nerds can't play football, and the jocks are just plain dumb. This carries over into our adult lives: all politicians (to include corporate executives) are greedy and self-absorbed, all celebrities are brainless husks, and humans are gullible - easily swayed by such evils.

We have the need to feel 'above the rest' - to be an individual - to be special and aware on some level. Which is what is at the heart of most conspiracy bantering - "I'm not just another sheople - I'm not afraid to question our actions."

That's not to say it's not without its place, or without reason (everyone has an agenda/plan to accomplish their goals - it only stands to reason that some people have plans or goals that do not work out so well for everyone else) - but often it's important to analyze your own standpoint with the same critique. What are your motives? Why do you think the way you do? What do you stand to gain, emotionally, from taking this standpoint?

There are things that need to change - and they will, in time. To change society as drastically as has been proposed will not happen in my natural lifetime, nor that of anyone alive on this planet today.

It's taken quite some time to get our social mentality around to the concept of treating blacks as "just another person" in a practical way. It doesn't occur to me to think of a black person as anything but a darker-skinned individual - aside from recalling what we've learned in history books. And yet - that community is still plagued by poverty and crime. They are still trying to recover from the 1700-1880s, as well. Well over a hundred years ago - practically four generations later, the influence is still there - in our willingness to forsake equality to make amends for the past (racial distribution requirements that destroy qualification/performance-based employment); and in the voluntary self-isolation of certain populations.

If you really want to evaluate humanity - you have to evaluate it from an objective standpoint. Of course, this is difficult to do - there are no other metrics to use to compare us - only our own ideals.

And for all we know - we are the only species with such a pointless waste of brain power. An ideal serves little point, objectively. It's something that cannot be obtained, and is often in absolute disagreement with practicality. And yet - we base so many of our opinions and plans around the ideals of such impossibilities as a world without war, a world without discrimination, and a world where we can leave our doors unlocked.

Think about it. It's a pointless expenditure of energy to consider into a goal. It can't happen, and trying to accomplish it usually means eliminating anything resembling a functional system. So why should we expect space-fairing species to hold on to such useless and troublesome concepts?

I'd say that the mere fact we have the concept of an ideal is very peculiar in and out of itself - and possibly far more important than we could ever hope to realize from our current position.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Aim64C

you are right.

secondlinesecondlinesecondline

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by ugie1028
MODS, i think this is where it should be, it deals with alien contact so, i placed it here, if its in the wrong forum area, please move. thanks!)

I was driving home and I asked myself a question.

If I was a space explorer, and I came across a planet like ours, with a race like ours, would I come down from the sky and greet them?

And my immediate answer was HELL NO!!

Why, you ask?

Point One: We are NOT a peaceful species. OUR HISTORY is littered with WARS, corruption, lies, etc. WE ARE DANGEROUS as a species. Think to yourself, this is true.

Point two: We are ARROGANT & IGNORANT. Again look at our history. We once thought the earth was the center of the universe, we once thought the world was flat, and we believe in different gods and have fought wars over this. Again back to point one, our arrogance & ignorance leads us to violence. Also to add we all thought that we were god’s special creatures; that the universe was made for us…

Point three: we live in a technological era yet we are letting people starve in third world countries. We are a service to self species. We usually care for ourselves instead of helping others. YES there are some who help the poor, and try to get food to the needy, but yet we have not done that at a global scale. If I saw that a race was treating its own kind like animals, I would try to stay away from them at all costs.

I would list more points, but I’m pretty sure YOU ATS’ERS would like to add a few reasons to not land on earth and greet us. (Also post reasons why you would, if you disagree with me.)

I think these are a few reasons of many that ET has not yet landed on the White house lawn to greet the human race.

We’re not ready as a species to accept the fact we are not alone. We are too dangerous to explore the universe with our immediate history. We are too blind as a whole to see that the universe is for all of us, not just humans but ALL life in general.

Just my thought to why we are not seeing ET come down yet… if we can change our ways, then maybe they could let us in. but for the time being, I doubt they would be coming down anytime soon. If we can’t even get along with our own race, what makes you think we can get along with an alien race?

Please leave your thoughts, or reasons to why YOU would want or not want to land on a planet with a race like ours.

completely agree in every way

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join