It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weeds are Edible

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
www.gomestic.com...

Here's an interesting link for info on eating ordinary weeds and we all know that weeds are hard to kill and easy to grow. I thought some of you would find this interesting and extremely useful. Haven't had much time to check out the rest of the website but this article was informative.

We all think of weeds as pesky plants that invade our gardens, take over, and ruin our personal Edens. However many weeds are edible and some even have medicinal uses. I encourage you to view weeds in a different light, not as pests, but as valuable plants, welcome additions to your yard, and good food. I feel that if you are going to pull them up, you may as well eat them. Before you pick any weed for the purpose of eating, make sure it was not treated ,or sprayed with chemical pesticides or herbicides. Check rules in your area before you intentionally grow any of the mentioned “weeds”, as some may be considered nuisance or noxious weeds in some areas.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Dandelion and Burdock make a pritty nice drink

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I have to admit, this reminds m of the feasts from the Redwall series.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 04:56 AM
link   
I am actually one of those rare folks who hates to cut the yard when the dandelions take over it completely. I would rather see all those yellow flowers blooming.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Well now you have salad! I must admit though that i'm not trying any of this until the SHTF!

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Get your digestive tract used to eating weeds, NOW, *BEFORE* TSHTF.
If you suddenly change your diet to one of a massive amount of vegetable-carbs and fibre, your stomach and digestive tract might not be able to handle it.
H.Pylori is also a common enemy of the bodybuilder trying to diet solely on broccoli and chicken breasts.
If you slowly wean yourself into a diet that includes dandelion greens, wild potatoes and tubers, ivy leaf tea, stewed moss, roasted wild nuts, shredded native ginger, wildberry marmalade, etc., you will find that you have a very hard time adjusting to it, which usually involves a prompt (and violently napalm-like) cleaning out of the colon, a change in the balance of acid in your stomach (which can make you more succeptable to various gastro-intestinal florae), distention, constipation, blah blah blah. These usually discourage people from dietary changes to wild and natural sources.

P.S Eucalyptus tea ROCKS! I pity those of you not living in a country where this beauty grows. Hey, millions of koalas getting stoned off of the stuff, can't be wrong ey?

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
indeed, dandilion, cattail, certain reeds, even poison ivy i think has a nutrient to be extracted. I tasted i think it was the white tree bark that hold a aspirin like substance. But ive been listening to these ascinine commercials taking about killing lake weeds. And was thinking that if there is a major catastrophe and the earth is mostly obliterated, lakes and algea and weeds are going to be the main sosurce of food.

new topics

top topics

join