It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgia lawmaker wants to end ‘birthright citizenship’

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   

U.S. Rep. Nathan Deal, a Republican candidate for governor of Georgia, has proposed changing the long-standing federal policy that automatically grants citizenship to any baby born on U.S. soil, a move opposed by immigrant rights advocates.

Supporters of Deal’s proposal say “birthright citizenship” encourages illegal immigration and makes enforcement of immigration laws more difficult. Opponents say the proposed law wouldn’t solve the illegal immigration problem and goes against this country’s traditions of welcoming immigrants.
source

This is a step in the right direction. It would cut out one of the incentives, and therefore cut down on the number of attempts to illegally cross the border, if passed. I doubt it will be, but at least someone in the political game recognizes the need to curb illegal immigration. If there's one person in a position of power who realizes the need, hopefully there is more.

The fact that someone can jump the border, deliver a kid and have that child automatically become a citizen is unfair to those who make the required efforts to become citizens legally.

TA

[edit on 27-5-2009 by TheAssociate]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Maybe "birthright citizenship" made since back when this country needed all the people it could get, but that is hardly the case now.

I say go for it!

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   
This is terrible.

So we wouldn't be citizens because are born in the US of A?

This is just absolutely ridiculous. It shows that our government is more interested in people from foreign countries and have completely forgotten about us. I know it's not about us. I don't have a bigoted view towards foreigners. But I'm sick of the government playing favoritism to anyone. They shouldn't play favoritism to those born outside of the US nor should they play favoritism to us. But I'm sick of this nonsense. We just need a sound immigration policy. That's all we need.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

So we wouldn't be citizens because are born in the US of A?

No, what it means is that children born in the US to people who aren't citizens won't automatically become citizens. People and the children of people who are already citizens won't be affected. Which i say is a good thing, especially if they are going to go forward with universal health care and continue with the other forms of welfare.

TA

[edit on 28-5-2009 by TheAssociate]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Supporters of the bill say automatic citizenship provides an incentive for women to risk coming to the country illegally. They call U.S.-born children of illegal immigrants “anchor babies” because, when they become adults, the children can sponsor their parents for legal permanent residency.

“Coming into the country for the express purpose of having a child in order to anchor that child and yourself is, in effect, gaming the system,” Dane said.

(From the article)

That is what's wrong and what this legislation would fix. It is entirely unfair to those who make the effort (and it is very challenging) to become citizens legally to allow this to happen.

TA

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

This is horrible. As much as I dislike illegal immigration, we can't start denying a child it's rights as a citizen, because their parents are from another country.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

If the parents are illegals, they will eventually end up back in their country and the child can receive whatever rights and benefits are offered there.

the U.S. is one of the few wealthy industrialized nations that still allows birthright citizenship.

(from the article)

All the others have figured out just how much illegal immigration and birthright citizenship costs. We just don't have the money to burn.

TA

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj

This is horrible. As much as I dislike illegal immigration, we can't start denying a child it's rights as a citizen, because their parents are from another country.

Yes, we can, and we should.
Why exactly should the child of non-citizens have citizenship right?
There are stories of Mexican women delivering their babies on the shores of the Rio Grande minutes after arriving. And you think that child should have citizenship rights? Why are you condoning and rewarding the mother's crime of illegal entry?

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
This would be the first step toward mandatory Military Service. As in, to gain your citizenship, you must serve.

Also, illegal immigration isnt caused by people wanting to have kids in this country, it is caused by businesses being allowed to pay slave wages to people who have nothing in their home country.

Crack down on corporations who hire illegally, stop illegal immigration. Pretty much that simple.

Problem is, truth be told, "they" WANT illegal immigrants here. It breaks down the middle class. It costs them less(less pay, no benefits). It makes them more $. And it causes neighbor against neighbor separation.

Of course, I am of the belief that it is quite possibly the biggest poverty of our world that one person considers another illegal because they are standing on the wrong side of an imaginary line. But I understand I'm in the minority there.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by OhZone

Why are you condoning and rewarding the mother's crime of illegal entry?

Excellent point, OhZone. The reason they keep breaking the law is because we reward them for it. The only way to stop illegal immigration is to cut off all the benefits thereof. Post starred.

TA

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by OhZone

Originally posted by Miraj

Yes, we can, and we should.
Why exactly should the child of non-citizens have citizenship right?
There are stories of Mexican women delivering their babies on the shores of the Rio Grande minutes after arriving. And you think that child should have citizenship rights? Why are you condoning and rewarding the mother's crime of illegal entry?

Well, let's consider where the Founding Fathers of this country were born, and go from there....oops, none of us have citizenship anymore

Are you American Indian? No? Then your citizenship ought to be revoked as well.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by cautiouslypessimistic

This would be the first step toward mandatory Military Service. As in, to gain your citizenship, you must serve.

Haven't looked into that, but i don't think the legislation would apply to the children of those who are already citizens.

the 14th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, which says: “All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside.” That provision, ratified in 1868, was drafted with freed slaves in mind.

“This is a sensible, overdue measure that closes a clause that was never meant to be a loophole,”

Crack down on corporations who hire illegally, stop illegal immigration. Pretty much that simple.

Exactly: Stop providing them with jobs and benefits like the law that gives them health care until they are back across the border and there you have it.

Are you American Indian?

Yes, 1/8 Cherokee. Got the documentation (and the tobacco habit
) to prove it. What's done is done, and laws are laws.

Thanks for the replies,

TA

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
As someone who lives in Georgia I support this bill and will call the man and tell him so.
Dont get me wrong I cant fault the illegals for wanting to be here but they hurt. We cant bring them up,they can only bring us down.Our own Hospital cannot stay open,partly due to the influx of the illegals I'm sure.
My kid has been turned down many times for work with the reply (I got me some mexicans for that) . They've went from migrant seasonal farm workers to permant residents infiltrating any and all other jobs they can. I cant fault them there niether,but they drove the price for labor way down therefore hurting everybody. Yes they work and they work hard and they are by and large very good people for the most part.
The way to citizenship is clear and should be followed by not doing so they disrespect all who do.
On the other hand they wouldnt be here now if tptb didnt want them here. They are actually modern day slaves as I see it, exploited at every turn, with basically no rights. I say we either assimilate those who are here or we get them out and we from now on enforce the law to the letter.
We dont do that here now,I've asked a state trooper his mo on suspected illegals and his responce was they dont enforce or pursue the issue as long as they are not at the time being a problem. The sherriff told me basically the same thing just yesterday,quote "We dont bother them here" Of course you dont, we have a huge onion crop here that means millions of dollars to the local ogliarchs so we really dont want these mega rich mega farmers upset now do we? Whats a little thing like enforcing the law when so much money is at stake?
I think we should send all home we can and make someone on welfare take their job or lose their benefits,thats what I'd really like to see,and maybe they can go home and have their own little revolution,freedom isnt free.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAssociate

Haven't looked into that, but i don't think the legislation would apply to the children of those who are already citizens.

That's my point though. It's a first step. You start changing citizenship laws, and the can of worms is open.

Exactly: Stop providing them with jobs and benefits like the law that gives them health care until they are back across the border and there you have it.

Yes, let's certainly blame it on those who are trying to make a better life, and not those who are enticing them to come here.

Truth be told, the entire issue rests on those that are hiring them. If the jobs are there, they'll keep coming.

Are you American Indian?

Yes, 1/8 Cherokee. Got the documentation (and the tobacco habit
) to prove it. What's done is done, and laws are laws.

Thanks for the replies,

TA

1/8. That means many of your relatives were foreigners, who had children in the U.S, who became citizens.

Sorry, your citizenship is revoked.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I'm a liberal on many issues but this proposal is something I'm beginning to think may have some merit, having lived on the border and seen so many people cross illegally and create emergencies just to have a baby in the USA. It's bankrupted a number of hospitals and shut down birthing centers for one thing. It's a federal problem but the feds are not re-imbursing the hospitals for these problems.

I think as a country we have to be flexible and change these immagration policies to deal with new realities. A friend of mine is soon going to become a US citizen and he worked his a**off to make it happen and it took many years to do it and I'm proud of him for that. He is going to make a wonderful citizen of this country and has proven his worth, desire, and willingness to contribute in meaningful ways to our society.

Crossing the border just as the woman is going into labor infuriates me. I know these issues are complex but let's be realistic !

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   

1/8. That means many of your relatives were foreigners, who had children in the U.S, who became citizens. Sorry, your citizenship is revoked.

Whatever...

Been looking into declaring my sovereignty anyway

reply to post by ChrisCrikey

Good for your friend! One of my best friends is a German native and came here the legal way as well. It is hard work, from what i hear and it's unfair to folks like your friend and mine to allow this kind of "backdoor" citizenship.

TA

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by OhZone

Sorry if I honor the founding father's ideal of a free country. If it's that bad, ship the parents off,(Not that that's logical) but if the child is born in a hospital in the united states, then it should be considered a natural born citizen.

Now, the hospital is there for a reason. You can't really get a birth certificate if there is no doctor, can you?

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by cautiouslypessimistic
Well, let's consider where the Founding Fathers of this country were born, and go from there....oops, none of us have citizenship anymore

Except that you are overlooking the fact that there were no citizenship laws before the founding fathers wrote them and grandfathered themselves in. Once they were written it included everyone who was currently living in the country as well as anyone born in the future on US soil. So yes, we do all have citizenship regardless of where the founding fathers were born. The problem now is people abusing natural born citizenship by coming into the country just to have a baby. That is unethical and immoral, and should be illegal as well. It's taking advantage of our laws, which they had to break in order to have their baby here to begin with.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Great idea! Citizenship of the child ought to be based on the citizenship of the parents.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ChrisCrikey

It's bankrupted a number of hospitals and shut down birthing centers for one thing.

And the 47 million Americans with no insurance plus the countless number of Americans who are underinsured played no role in this?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join