It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bitterness as mental illness?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   

People who feel they have been wronged by someone and are so bitter they can barely function other than to ruminate about their circumstances.

This behavior is so common -- and so deeply destructive -- that some psychiatrists are urging it be identified as a mental illness under the name post-traumatic embitterment disorder. The behavior was discussed before an enthusiastic audience last week at a meeting of the American Psychiatric Assn. in San Francisco.
source

So, now being bitter is going to be classified as a mental illness. These people make anything and everything out to be some kind of disorder. I wonder how long until we're all labeled "mentally ill" and legislation is passed like that in New York that will require us to take our medication. Reminds me of THX 1138...

TA

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I don't really believe that the embittered person needs to have a mental disorder diagnosis. I do know someone who seems to fit the description and it is misery to be around them. I walk into the house and say something about a wreck in the local newspaper and this person immediately starts yelling something....anything negative about the situation like "well, they probably caused the accident in the first place, nobody needs to drive 60mph down that road". Before long, they are saying hateful things directed at me, and said at least five times in a row, but they watch tv and say it --they don't look at me but they just keep on mouthin off. They say everyone is stupid that does not agree with them on any given issue.

They are not mentally ill...just mentally stupid, and the IQ can be high or medium, makes no difference it is just their habit they have been allowed to push on people. Most of the things they argue about doesn't even really matter in the long run. If you ever back them in a corner with a loud voice (since this is a power trait for them) disagree and generally bow up, they will calm down and quit manipulating you and your feelings.

"Psychoanalysis is the mental illness it purports to cure"
Karl Kraus

[edit on 2-6-2009 by catamaran]

new topics

join