It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cat in China grows a pair of wings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Cat in China grows a pair of wings

www.msnbc.msn.com

It's a bird, it's a plane, it's a … cat?

A kitty in Chongqing, China, is getting some extra-special attention these days: The furry feline has developed wings! Though born looking completely normal, once the cat hit the age of 1, he began growing wing-shaped appendages on either side of his spine, the U.K.'s Daily Mail reports.

While some think the bony limbs may be a mutation of some kind — or even a Siamese twin growing inside the cat — others speculate it's a genetic change perhaps caused by chemicals ingested by the kitty's mother while she was pregnant.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot! This is a strange occurrence to say the least. I could see a cat begin born with some strange mutation, but to suddenly start growing these extra appendages after 1 year of age seems rather unusual.

Was this cat exposed to something recently that cause this? I will be interested to see if the "wings" continue to grow. It says in the article that it could be a Siamese twin growing inside this cat. I hope they do some tests and take xrays to see what is going on.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
This will be way more interesting when it grows older and if it is able to fly

a flying cat?

imagine seeing flying cats, imagine them as commonplace as pigeons

did u see the movie birds?
imagine that but with flying cats!

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Probably ingested some of that oh so nutritional melamine!

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by iamcamouflage

OOOH., your cussing!!!! I'm gonna tell Intrepid!!!!!
Dude, I would really like to see that kitty fly.....two of mine already think they are flying squirrels.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Not really Breaking Alternative News

This is known about for a long time , that is winged Cats, this wont be the first or the last...

From dec 08 on ATS I posted this:

Another Chinese winged cat as found on this thread:

Amazing Winged Cat

An interesting thread on this phenomina its history going back to the egyptians etc....

Kind Regards

Elf

[edit on 27-5-2009 by MischeviousElf]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Well I guess the menu's can say "Spicy Cat Wings" over there now.

How come this doesnt occur anywhere else?? this is strange as hell to say the least.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I bet that this is the result of gene munipulation. This is all in the hopes to eventully put wings on pigs and make pigs fly.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
This would be so much funnier if it was a pig.

But seriously, what substance makes an animal suddenly grow wing like appendages?

The fact that all the reported cases are in China makes me believe this might have something to do with their lax industrial pollution regulation.

The article doesn't say but I assume the cat has no ability to move these wings, but still this is interesting. Excellent find.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Wow... learn something new everyday... I've have many kitties during my life and have never heard about this nor seen anything like it. Very interesting, not sure if I think its disturbing or cute.. Cute I guess as long as its not hurting them. Don't know what I would think if it was one of my kitties sprouting wings though

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

I was looking at the post from December and what I find strange is this quote from the article: "Veterinarians say that “wings”, such as the ones shown above, are caused by a genetic skin disorder, feline cutaneous asthenia (FCA) – excessively elastic skin."

Now most of these article talk about the "wings" having bones in them and the other article mentioned that the cat could move the wings. Now I find it odd that a "skin" disorder would result in the growth of bones and muscle within the wings.

It would be very interesting to see some selective breeding with these cats to develop a more pronounced and stronger wing. Maybe with enough generations we would see a cat flying.

Strange nonetheless.

Thanks for posting your other thread Elf. Mods can move if necessary.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by RenDMCHow come this doesnt occur anywhere else?? this is strange as hell to say the least.

Apparently it has occured for a long time, including a cat in the UK in the 1960's. Cool site with videos: www.gomestic.com...

All of them seem to be domestic long haireds.

The funny part is this:

According to the Telegraph's report, scientists believe the appendages developed due to grooming habits, a genetic defect or a hereditary skin condition.

Why don't the scientists just say "honestly we have no clue what is causing this".

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Well, with all the crap in China's air, water, ground and food, I'm surprised that nothing else mutated.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
WINGS NO WAY. Thats very odd. I would like to see this cat.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610

Originally posted by RenDMCHow come this doesnt occur anywhere else?? this is strange as hell to say the least.

Apparently it has occured for a long time, including a cat in the UK in the 1960's. Cool site with videos: www.gomestic.com...

All of them seem to be domestic long haireds.

The funny part is this:

According to the Telegraph's report, scientists believe the appendages developed due to grooming habits, a genetic defect or a hereditary skin condition.

Why don't the scientists just say "honestly we have no clue what is causing this".

AWWW COOL!!! Im gonna start licking my own a$$ and see if I sprout a pair of wings.

Scientists always make up such bull when they don't know jack, wonder if they still get paid for the crap they come out with?

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 04:14 AM
link   
They really should stop feeding it redbull...lol
Looking at the photo it looks more like a second set of ears to me.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 04:28 AM
link   
I stand by what I said in the original thread, I've seen several strays who's fur mats pretty badly.
And, all of the cats have long fur, not short fur, with the way that cats breed, you'd expect some short fur cats to show the appendages as well.

new topics

top topics

join