It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Korea About to Nuke Seoul?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by emjoi
Forget nukes.
North Korea could start up a conventional Artillery barrage and cause serious carnage in Seoul.

You'd have to understand why the South Koreans aren't all that keen for a war of any sort to start 40km north of the center of their capital.

Sure NK has a high number of artillery pieces but think about this:

1. How much of that artillery can really reach major populated areas like Seoul? Remember they would not be firing from the DMZ - that is all mined for many miles. They would be firing from some distance inside NK.

2. If NK wanted to stage an artillery attack, it would take them weeks to gather up and prepare their artillery battalions near the DMZ. Such massive action and preparation would no doubt be noticed by US and South Korea right away, giving them more than enough time to prepare.

3. Artillery can only do so much - especially if the ground troops can't advance through the mined DMZ and the airforce/navy is incapacitated (which it certainly will be). So South Korea suffers some casualties from the shelling but quickly evacuates out of artillery range. Then what? Wait for retaliatory spanking?

Seriously all this Korean war stuff is fun to ponder about - but reality is that it is simply not happening. NK is no closer to actual war today than it was 10 years ago, or 20, or 30, or 40. Every half a decade or so these flare ups take place, and then in a few months everyone moves on.

NK very likely feels more threatened by the US than South Korea feels threatened by NK. The nuke is meant as a political tool and as a leverage for foreign policy - simple as that.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by Blaine91555

Hey Blaine

I'm not sure he is that far along yet. I mean testing some nukes is very different then actually deploying them I doubt he can do it YET. However N Korea is a very closed and secretive regime so anything is possible.

Does anyone else find it curious that North Korea has, so far, tested ALL of its (supposed) nukes Underground?

I mean, think about it: It is not as though "Lil Kim" is all too concerned about the world's environment and what effect the potential fallout from his "firecrackers" might have.

And from a psychological warfare standpoint, the sight of a "Home-grown" mushroom cloud rising over North Korea would have a far greater impact on the world's "Fear-O-Meters" then mere reports of "an earthquake in the region of NK said to be the site of nuclear weapons tests".

I'm sorry, but this Kimchee just doesn't "smell right" to me.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bhadhidar

And from a psychological warfare standpoint, the sight of a "Home-grown" mushroom cloud rising over North Korea would have a far greater impact on the world's "Fear-O-Meters" then mere reports of "an earthquake in the region of NK said to be the site of nuclear weapons tests".

I'm sorry, but this Kimchee just doesn't "smell right" to me.

Yeah you're right it's all just propaganda they even had the Earth create an earthquake to simulate a detonation.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   

reply to post by tothetenthpower

What I meant was a "Warhead" with the proper accompanying technology to detonate at the correct altitude etc. I know they can create a "Bomb" the delivery as you mentioned would be tricky.

Pakistan's AQ Kahn sold them everything they needed. Many countries got the same thing and we know that a pretty advanced warhead design from China was one of them. The same that Pakistan started with on its modified Scuds.

Iran and NK have been splitting the cost and R&D on their programs. Thats why their missiles are identical in many ways. North Korea is pushing hard for an ICBM so they can hit the U.S.. Iran is happy with its shorter range missiles that can strike Israel.

Mark my words, Iran now has the bomb and may have enough weapons grade plutonium soon. Israel may act in days from what I hear.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by maloy

I realize my idea is way out there, but then so is "The Dear Leader".

You are likely right that the consequences would prohibit an attack if there is a sane person making the decisions. Is NK's leadership sane however?

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Hey Blaine.

Maloy just gave a very good response a "transport" plane would never make it to it's target and as far as those vast numbers of Northern troops. They would have to make it through the worst no mans land ever created. Just imagine the worst WWI no mans land X 10

I agree. It would likely be taken out over the DMZ. If a nuclear device were set to go off when hit, with Seoul being about 35 or 40 miles away, would that not effectively take out electronics and communications for the 25 million people in the area? That is what I'm suggesting.

Could we defend against millions storming the border with nothing but artillery?

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

"Stop the warmongering already with threads like this" is not debate. I'm a pacifist by the way.

About this belonging in Skunks Works? You might have a point. I just saw the NK topic as a Current Event.

It just seems to me that somewhere deep in the Pentagon scenarios like this are being discussed right now. This is somewhat different than NK's past actions and now that they have withdrawn from the truce, we are technically at war.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join