It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

The Death Penality - Why So Complicated?

page: 1
0

log in

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
This thread is not about whether the death penalty is right or wrong. It is simply about the methods used to execute people. Whether they really are humane.

We are told that the methods used are humane, but let us consider a couple of things. The simple truth that it cannot be humane as the preparation for most methods takes a while and the stress on the prisoner is immense. The second thing to consider is that the methods currently used in the USA have been shown to cause distress in some prisoners.

For those who will argue that the prisoners should suffer, i ask simply why then do people go to such lengths to say the methods are humane? Either people admit they want them to suffer or they admit the methods are flawed.


Good information on the problems with lethal injection can be found here

www.amnestyusa.org...

For the electric chair and gas chamber methods, some limited information can be found here

listverse.com...

The first 3 methods cover lethal injection, the electric chair and the gas chamber.


My simple question is why are such elaborate methods used? Wouldn't a simpler solution be a prisoner is shot? This would be quick, painless (if shot in the head) and very cheap. The only reason i can think of that a prisoner is treated in this way is so that the relations of victims can watch it and feel justice. After all, they may not quite feel the same if the prisoner was shot.

Does anyone else want to give an explanation as to why executions are carried out in such exotic ways? Ways which have been shown to be quite unpleasant in some cases and maybe many cases as it hasn't been studied for long enough.




posted on May, 27 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
The reality of lethal injection, gassing, and electrocution is that they are extremely inhumane practices. The vast majority of people do not understand how cruel these methods are. I have said it before and I'll say it again, if they have to die, shoot them.



posted on May, 27 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by YourForever
The reality of lethal injection, gassing, and electrocution is that they are extremely inhumane practices. The vast majority of people do not understand how cruel these methods are. I have said it before and I'll say it again, if they have to die, shoot them.


Well this is what gets me, what is more humane than a shotgun blast to the head? Absolutely instant death and 100% guranteed if done right.

On top of that think of the speed. Lethal injection takes ages to set up, as do other methods whereas the shotgun takes a few seconds, at most 30.

[edit on 27-5-2009 by ImaginaryReality1984]



posted on May, 27 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
Well this is what gets me, what is more humane than a shotgun blast to the head? Absolutely instant death and 100% guranteed if done right.


100% fact.. thats the way I would want to go anyway..

I suppose much of it comes down to the fact that electrocution and lethal injection seem more humane because there is no big bloody mess left over afterwards.. if there was, it would turn many too many people off capital punishment.



posted on May, 27 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dermo
100% fact.. thats the way I would want to go anyway..

I suppose much of it comes down to the fact that electrocution and lethal injection seem more humane because there is no big bloody mess left over afterwards.. if there was, it would turn many too many people off capital punishment.


Well this is my problem. Do they subject people to these ways of killing so that it seems more humane? Or is it so that families and others can watch the person being killed, think it's humane and not feel bad about it?

Oh and yes if someone gave me the choice of electrocution, lethal injection, gas chamber or having my head blown off by a nice big shotgun, i'd choose the shotgun.

[edit on 27-5-2009 by ImaginaryReality1984]



new topics

top topics
 
0

log in

join