It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Body Heat can power Cell Phones

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I did a search for this topic and I couldn't find a thread on it. If someone finds one I would like to see it.

Here's some of the article:

Energy now lost as heat during the production of electricity could be harnessed through the use of silicon nanowires synthesized via a technique developed by researchers with the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley Lab) and the University of California (UC) at Berkeley. The far-ranging potential applications of this technology include DOE’s hydrogen fuel cell-powered “Freedom CAR,” and personal power-jackets that could use heat from the human body to recharge cell-phones and other electronic devices.

“You can siphon electrical power from just about any situation in which heat is being given off, heat that is currently being wasted,” said Majumdar. “For example, if it is cold outside and you are wearing a jacket made of material embedded with thermoelectric modules, you could recharge mobile electronic devices off the heat of your body. In fact, thermoelectric generators have already been used to convert body heat to power wrist watches.”

www.sciencedaily.com...

This could be pretty interesting. Maybe you can have an electric car and the material is embedded with thermoelectric modules and you could power the car just by sitting in it.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Very cool,i know the body produces enough energy a day to power an Xbox,ipods etc but powering a phone on just body heat alone is pretty cool.And given the way technology is advancing when it comes to power usage im sure body heat will be able to power things in the near future that would seem unimaginable today.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Yeah, that is pretty cool. Just having the ability to lets say, keep it in your pocket and it will recharge is pretty awesome!

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Just like the gym, you ride on the stationary bike, and bowflex machines, and all that extra energy is wasted, now I know of one gym in NYC, that is runs its whole power on people who come to the gym.

They ride on the bike which is electrically tied to a generator pushing energy lighting up the gym. Very neat, and gets off the grid almost entirely!

Although, I would be concerned about electronics being near me constantly, even the talks of cell phones and brain cancer is troubling.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

The whole brain tumours from using phones is unsubstantiated,there have been many studies intothe effects.Although i can't stand mobile phones which is supposedly strange for a relatively young person,i dont even own one.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Joohoo! Jump Jump!!

Does this mean we finally can skip ALL batteries??? That would be such good news for our Mother Earth Gaia.

Good find!

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Melyanna Tengwesta

Wireless power is on the way within the next 5 or 10 years.No plugs,batteries etc i cant wait! i think intel has the patent on it but Tesla was messing with such things i think.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
reply to post by Melyanna Tengwesta

Wireless power is on the way within the next 5 or 10 years.No plugs,batteries etc i cant wait! i think intel has the patent on it but Tesla was messing with such things i think.

That's very good news! As far as I know Tesla was working on Free Energy. It was the beginning of the Mechanic century (late 19th century, dont know the English phrase) and no wonder they didn't take him seriously. His idea's were bad for world economics.

I still hope new free energy won't be synonym for more space garbage around the earth.

top topics

join