It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Brother Cracks Down on Second-Hand Sales

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Big Brother Cracks Down on Second-Hand Sales

rightwingnews.com

Just like megasize toy manufacturers and stores that sell products from China, the notoriously broad and confusing federal Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act applies to you and your front yard.

Anyone selling products, even used ones, that have been recalled or banned by the act is in violation. …

Besides people holding yard sales, the law applies to thrift or consignment stores, charities, flea markets and people who sell on auction Web sites, the [Consumer Product Safety Commission resellers'] handbook says.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Edit: fixed quote

[edit on 5/27/2009 by Tentickles]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
While I do not agree with everything in this article, or even the website, it does bring up some interesting topics.

Why on Earth is the government doing this? Just another way to bully the people around...?

The article goes on to say:

The commission studied thrift stores nationwide in 1999 and found that 69 percent were selling products that had been recalled, banned or failed to meet safety standards, according to the handbook.

Well DUH! It's a thrift store, it's not going to have the most up to date products in it. Honestly are they trying to ruin businesses?

Just think about it, thrift stores cater to the people who can no longer afford those brand new sneakers for 80$, they offer low cost clothing, shoes, toys, furniture and other products to people...

Why is the government doing this?

rightwingnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I tell you what, here in my neck of the woods with an unemployment rate of over 118% and now more lay offs by one of the last industries, Proctor & Gamble people are living off second hand stores.

I don't think that the "law" will be enforced very much around here.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Hopefully.

I once found a 5000$ painting in a thrift store. Got it for 4$. Still have it too.
Probably only worth 1000$ now though!

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I like thrift stores, thanks to my wife . . .

Most recalled items are recalled for dumb reasons anyways.

BTW, how the hell do you have 118% unemployment?

Did they employ dead people as well?

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Soon, the sidewalks will be tuned into flea markets, jobless people selling whatever they can from their homes. Also, smuggled stuff, cheaper than in shops. Human mules bringing it from abroad...

I hear coffee price is up, and other things will follow. Those you will be able to buy from smugglers cheaper, the worst quality though. Tax free business, that's why state goes after them. But guess who will be those who organize it all?

These are signs of corruption, nothing else.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Thrift stores and yard sales do not sell items that have rfid chips in them. How are they going to be able to track people if they only buy used stuff?

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxpigxx
I like thrift stores, thanks to my wife . . .

Most recalled items are recalled for dumb reasons anyways.

BTW, how the hell do you have 118% unemployment?

Did they employ dead people as well?

Dead people can vote apparently why not work?

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
If you can sell old stuff, or share, then how can you keep the consumerist market afloat?

Brand new, original, over-priced, low quality goods only people.

Or don't you love America?

-Art

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by xxpigxx

I am still trying to figure that one out, but that is what our local news was calling the unemployment figures in my area, see we lost 4 industry all within a year, now the last one is about to release 300 employees and is rumors that they are going to start closing some of the distribution areas by December.

And they are the last one Proctor & Gamble if this people leave after, Merck, Cooper tires, Bob Candies and the other one can not remember now I guess we are over 100 percent unemployment as they were actually the ones that employed most of the city work force, beside the military base.

So most of the so call middle class income generators are gone, this leaves the town with nothing but unemployment recipients and welfare.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
don't take away my thrift stores

In the last 40 years i have collected over 15 pounds of silver from thrift stores.
mostly sterling silver. knives fork and spoons with a few bowls candle sticks and salt and pepper shakers thrown in.

A week ago i got 6 Garmin GPS 12 units for $10 dollars each and resold 4 for $25 each
The other 2 i am saving for my own use as the are now free, payed for by selling the ones i did not need.

i buy about $3000 dollars worth of products a years at thrift stores and turn around and sell about 3/4 at yard sales for more then i payed and enough that the items i keep are free. plus i end up with about $500 to put in my wallet.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   

I have a box or two filled with Kennedy Memorabilia. I got them at yard sales. Not just any memorabilia, but very very good memorabilia.
A Kennedy cousin was cleaning house and seems she was a little feeble with the stuff she put out IN THE TRASH.

The value?

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
S&F

Gggrrrrr. Just another way to define people as consumers, and control them.

They can't enforce Food and other Safety regs with retailers, but watch them try to pull off this one. Grrr.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Well, if a certain toy is banned for having lead in it, and major retailers can't sell it because it's dangerous to kids, I don't think thrift stores should be able to sell it either. This is probably the only case where this law makes sense.

Love the pic of the little kid at the bottom of the article.

[edit on 27-5-2009 by TheComte]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Well this article from my local rag struck me as pretty odd... It fits right into this thread.

New rules approved by the city council's Cabinet could cut the number of highly popular Stonehouse Creek car boot sales from every Saturday and Sunday to just 12 a year and limit them to 50 pitches. On a good day now they have around 100.

Now I've lived in this city on and off for the majority of my life so I have been to many car boot sales (I'm not sure if americans and other countries use that term - it's an organised out door sale where people turm up with anything they are going to sell more or less from their car boot and simple displays) - somethimes it's a great way to find some bargens (or junk
) and have a sunny afternoon out... Give the kids 4 or 5 quid, watch them dissapear with glee for a couple of hours and see what they come up with... Good memories

What I'm getting at is there is a sort of thriving car booty scene - on the face of it this really makes no sence

Argyle's weekly car boot sales could be made economically unviable by a new £160 licence and rules that say no organiser or site should have more than one Sunday event in any 28-day period, spokesman Rick Cowdery said.

What's going on? Now more than ever people need to make a bit of cash from their old gear... And others need to save some money by buying stuff used and a bit dented or whatever.

It can't be to prop up the economy that much - a good car boot sale goer is typically a frugal sort, if it aint cheep and cheerful they won't go and pay full price at the shops unless they really needed it - and other people would never ever dream of going to a booty... And will take pride in the fact that everything is new expensive and has added to the credit they are putting to the back of their mind.

Any one notice similar else where in the UK?

[/rant]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I realy don't see the problem with this law. I mean there is a reason those items were banned (normally health or safety reasons) any recalled item should not be sold by anyone. sorry if you make your living selling lead pacifiers or mercury laced kids shoes but I feel the law is fair.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by uncommon-sense
I realy don't see the problem with this law. I mean there is a reason those items were banned (normally health or safety reasons) any recalled item should not be sold by anyone. sorry if you make your living selling lead pacifiers or mercury laced kids shoes but I feel the law is fair.

What about lawn darts? They were banned because apparently when children were standing in front of them when thrown, they got hurt with the point. Wow, standing in front of darts when being thrown in your direction can get you injured...go figure...

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
wow what are the odds, My neighbor was hit by a Jart. the people in the next yard over had them and their eight year old threw one up as high as he could and it fell in her yard and went right into her shoulder. He was trying to throw it straight up but being young it went right behind him and into her yard. weird that you would pick that as an example.

but aside from that example my thoughts are still yes the law should stand. I am of the age where i had a 3 wheeler growing up, then they were banned because of safety and 4 wheelers became the only option besides dirt bikes, we all used to go riding south of here at a community off road spot, we were there one time when a young girl on a three wheeler was killed, her boyfriend had just got it and was bragging too us how hard it was to find one now that they were "illegal" twenty minutes later he was watching them pull the sheet over her.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by uncommon-sense
wow what are the odds, My neighbor was hit by a Jart. the people in the next yard over had them and their eight year old threw one up as high as he could and it fell in her yard and went right into her shoulder. He was trying to throw it straight up but being young it went right behind him and into her yard. weird that you would pick that as an example.

but aside from that example my thoughts are still yes the law should stand. I am of the age where i had a 3 wheeler growing up, then they were banned because of safety and 4 wheelers became the only option besides dirt bikes, we all used to go riding south of here at a community off road spot, we were there one time when a young girl on a three wheeler was killed, her boyfriend had just got it and was bragging too us how hard it was to find one now that they were "illegal" twenty minutes later he was watching them pull the sheet over her.

I never knew anyone to be hurt by them. I played with them when I was young and we had enough sense that you be careful throwing things with points on them. Usually played them while camping, where there was a huge open field.

I didn't know 3 wheelers were outlawed. I never thought much of them anyway to notice not seeing any in years.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I tell you what, here in my neck of the woods with an unemployment rate of over 118% and now more lay offs by one of the last industries, Proctor & Gamble people are living off second hand stores.

I don't think that the "law" will be enforced very much around here.

That's the beauty of law in a democracy... it has to make sense locally to actually be enforced.

One of the things l love about the USA...

It's like the east side of ATL outside of 285... you should SEE the things people get away with in those clubs... and it's all based on local concepts of morality...

I love it!

new topics

top topics

join