It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"What, Me Worry?" White House downplays North Korea's threats

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Obama, who at first warned of a "grave threat," now says NKorea's actions are basically 'grandstanding.'

The President explained that North Korea's threats against South Korea will not give it the attention Pyongyang wants and will only add to its isolation.
White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said Wednesday that North Korea should live up to its promises and stop its provocations against the South.

Pyongyang says Seoul's decision to join an international nuclear anti-proliferation program is tantamount to a declaration of war. The North warned of military strikes and declared their 1953 armistice null and void.

The White House now says North Korea has threatened to end the armistice many times in past decades but the peace has held.

www.breitbart.com...

So, even though Kim Jong Il fires rockets, tests nukes, and cranks up the nuke-building factories, Obama backs off the rhetoric that framed his earlier statements.

Despite that Iran sails warships into the Gulf of Aden, China moves troops to the Korean border, and Russia mobilizes its military in the territory, we no longer see the "grave threat" that existed just hours before.

Biden warned that Obama would be "tested" in his first 180 days.

Has the President decided that he's not ready yet?

Did we just blink? Again?

deny ignorance.
jw

[edit on 27-5-2009 by jdub297]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Seems to me that the economic or domestic agenda is about to take a backseat. Things are flaring up big time on the Foreign agenda. Obama won't be able to concentrate on both.

I think Obama is toning it down on purpose hoping that NK threats will just die down. He probably doesn't want to inflame the situation anymore than what it is and fears that his words may provoke NK into doing something more drastic.

With that being said, I do find it strange that he can't be more consistent in his message. Grave to grandstanding is a large leap IMO.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

If you think entering into a world war, or dropping a nuclear bomb on N.Korea doesn't deserve a blink or two than believe me the right man IS in the White House.

What would you have him do - drop a nuclear bomb on a nut ball and kill millions - rendering the land useless forever - just because Kim grandstands and pops off some test rounds?

Funny that - the same people who were saying what *losers* N.Korea is for it’s *failed* tests a few months ago have now done an about face and go on and on about what a *Threat* N.Korea is.

LOL

Thank God for a cool head in the Oval Office.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
You say something about Russia moving its military in the area . . .

Who, what, and where?

I am wondering if NK is to be the fall guy to start WW3 . . .

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Two-sides of the same coin. Bush says North Korea is apart of "the axis of evil" while Obama is flippant and says "grandstanding." I love our system, don't you?

www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I sense that he is trying to get the US media off the issue so they can take a closer look at NK without the media looking down their necks.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by jdub297

Yep. Obama says 'I'm not worried' but he's probably making those hasty phone calls to the more qualified people in a nervous panic saying ... 'what do I do? I didn't have to deal with crazy korean dictators when I was a community organizer'.

Remember the 3AM S&L Phone Call Skit?

Dollars to donuts it has been happening.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

I don't advocate a warmonger posture, either. But, the 'wait and see' position just leaves the door open for others to force the issue.

Who would we prefer to be making the critical decisions here? Tehran? Pyongyang? Beijing or Moscow?

Obama is making his deer-in-the-headlight diplomatic reputation seem not just deservedly appropriate, but justified and prudent.

jw

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

It's not as if ANYONE is calling for violent responses, but to go from "grave danger" to ...???? is not just inconsistent, but should worry anyone looking for a "cool head."

Where's Hillary, just when we need a "shut the ---- up, Bill" attitude in the White House?

deny ignorance

jw

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxpigxx
You say something about Russia moving its military in the area . . .
Who, what, and where?
I am wondering if NK is to be the fall guy to start WW3 . . .

Russia's Interfax agency reported earlier that it is taking unspecified military preparedness measures to protect its NK border region.

"Russia fears Korea conflict could go nuclear"

Russia is taking security measures as a precaution against the possibility tension over North Korea could escalate into nuclear war, news agencies quoted officials as saying on Wednesday.

Interfax quoted an unnamed security source as saying a stand-off triggered by Pyongyang's nuclear test on Monday could affect the security of Russia's far eastern regions, which border North Korea.

"The need has emerged for an appropriate package of precautionary measures," the source said.
in.reuters.com...

Don't know what that means exactly, but unnamed sources speaking about undescribed "security measures" on the NK border does not sound like a picnic invite.

An "appropriate package of precautionary measures." How does that translate in Russian?

jw

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by pluckynoonez
Two-sides of the same coin. Bush says North Korea is apart of "the axis of evil" while Obama is flippant and says "grandstanding." I love our system, don't you?
www.youtube.com...

Unfortunately, they were Bush's "axis of evil" BEFORE they:
tested a nuclear dud,
launched an ICBM,
test-fired several tactical missiles,
strengthened and deployed their Navy,
tested a newer, bigger, longer ICBM,
tested a new and improved 10 - 20 kiloton nuke,
test-fired several more tactical missiles,
declared Seoul's adoption of the Non-Proliferation Treaty an "act of war," and declared the 1953 Armistice Treaty invalid.

Now, they're just grandstanding.

I feel so much better now. Don't you?

jw

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 06:31 AM
link   
So .. Obama brushes it off and says no big deal.
But Hillary ... who is miles ahead of Obama in the 'smarts' dept ..
says there will be serious consequences ...

Thread here

I'm wishing she were in office instead of Obama ... and I never thought in my wildest dreams that I'd be wishing for Hillary to be POTUS.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

At least she's been open about her social agenda, not presenting a 'moderate' public face but taking 'hard-left' action.

Even tho' BHO says not to worry, we've put our Korean forces on Defcon2.
More contradictions, or is someone at DoD moving on their own?

jw

new topics

top topics

join