It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N. Korea threatens to attack US, S. Korea warships

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   

N. Korea threatens to attack US, S. Korea warships

www.google.com

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — North Korea threatened military action Wednesday against U.S. and South Korean warships plying the waters near the Koreas' disputed maritime border, raising the specter of a naval clash just days after the regime's underground nuclear test.

Pyongyang, reacting angrily to Seoul's decision to join an international program to intercept ships suspected of aiding nuclear proliferation, called the move tantamount to a declaration of war. ...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Will North Korea actually attack a US warship? What would be the result? Would the US go to war with North Korea? Will we be in another Vietnam-like situation? How can the US sustain three wars at once?

I don't know the answer to any of these questions, but if the answer is "yes" to the third one, it could very well be the start of WWIII.

www.google.com

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I just can't chalk this up to Kim wanting to *go out with a bang* as many have alluded to or joked about.

Not only is the thought absurd but flosses over what is really going on.

The power struggle behind the scenes must be incredible intense.

So, my question - after all the years of posturing and banging their chests, why now?

The escalation *out of no where* just doesn’t fit.

EDIT: I hope people are not stingy with the Star and Flag for this thread... It really shouldn't get lost in the other threads... *Hint Hint*...

[edit on 27-5-2009 by silo13]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Yip we are only seeing a fraction of whats going down.I think both Russia and China will be having strong words with N.Korea behind the scenes.Im pretty confident they will sort this out within the coming days and the situation with N.Korea will die down.Then everyone here on ATS can find something else to worry about that will bring about WW3

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Normally I would say that North Korea attacking a U.S. warship without provocation would be the last thing they ever did. However, with Obama in power, I'm not convinced that he would make the appropriate response. Instead I can picture him in a news conference with his golden speaking skills orating something like "Although this is a tragedy for the families of those lost on that ship, now is not the time for rash decisions. We will engage in talks with North Korea."

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
I just can't chalk this up to Kim wanting to *go out with a bang* as many have alluded to or joked about.

Not only is the thought absurd but flosses over what is really going on.

The power struggle behind the scenes must be incredible intense.

So, my question - after all the years of posturing and banging their chests, why now?

The escalation *out of no where* just doesn’t fit.

peace

But what if Kim is actually already dead? We think Kim is crazy, his generals are absolute nut jobs. Maybe that is why all the rhetoric is all of a sudden at a maximum. The generals now have full control of the military???

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
And we are war mongering . . . riiiight

Stop saying it and just do it little man

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Do you think NK would be making such threats if they didn't feel secure in the fact that China has their back?

If attacked, I could see the US react with a small attack. Other than that, I don't see the US going after NK due to the China factor.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Bearack

If kim was dead his son(the one who is a general) would have taken over already.Unless other generals get together and attempt a coup i would say his son would be in charge hence if kim has died they would have admitted it already.Maybe they wouldn't i dont know,but your right that Lil kim has been nearly about to kick the bucket for some time now.

[edit on 27-5-2009 by Solomons]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Bearack

But what if Kim is actually already dead? We think Kim is crazy, his generals are absolute nut jobs. Maybe that is why all the rhetoric is all of a sudden at a maximum. The generals now have full control of the military???

Exactly.

Even if he is still alive, has Alzheimer's set in? Did he stroke out - whatever.
Point being there is something more going on.
If I didn't think there was I'd just brush this all off like so many times before.

peace

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by SonicInfinity

How can the US sustain three wars at once?

How, sadly, with the push of one button...

*On my knees praying it wont happen*

(And don't anyone bust my chops for sayin that - If you don't my sentiments just go on your own way, pretend you didn't read it and send me a postcard from crazy town)...

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

How extreme is his son? Is he like his dad, or worse? I seriously doubt Kim Jong Il is dead right now.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonicInfinity

Will North Korea actually attack a US warship? What would be the result? Would the US go to war with North Korea? Will we be in another Vietnam-like situation? How can the US sustain three wars at once?

I don't know the answer to any of these questions, but if the answer is "yes" to the third one, it could very well be the start of WWIII.

www.google.com

if korea attacks a vessel of the US , South korea or any other country the UN will enable NATO to go in and free up money from all NATO members so the cost to the USA will be small .

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by SonicInfinity

Im not sure what his general son is like,but he is a general...and most of the generals are nuttier than a squirrels diet.His eldest one isn't that extreme i think,im not sure..or alteast i dont think a crazy mad man would sneak out the country to go to disney land

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Bearack

Mabye they are pushing so hard so they can say after a first strike or retalliation that the US killed there great leader so the army can gather all of is people to attack south Korea. and making sure that way in history books will say the great leader was KIA instead of die of old age or a stroke. it makes kim seen more of an icon as they have created him to be.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

They have an ailing leader he had a stroke last year and apparently never really recovered. This is a power struggle going on in North Korea people are starving they have no money and are well aware that south Korea is number 13 in world economies.Makes a hard case that communism helped them when you see the people you were supposed to free from capitalism can buy and sell your country multiple times over. That country is on the brink of a major civil war. They need an external enemy to rally behind and well the United States is the worlds favorite target.

Aidan Foster-Carter, a leading British academic, said the most likely reason for the regime's behavior was an intensifying fight over the succession from the ailing, elderly Kim. "The dog barks loudest when it's feeling vulnerable. And maybe it's safer to be a hardliner than a soft liner when there's a power struggle going on.

This makes them the most unstable and dangerous country on the planet!

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
Normally I would say that North Korea attacking a U.S. warship without provocation would be the last thing they ever did. However, with Obama in power, I'm not convinced that he would make the appropriate response. Instead I can picture him in a news conference with his golden speaking skills orating something like "Although this is a tragedy for the families of those lost on that ship, now is not the time for rash decisions. We will engage in talks with North Korea."

yeah, because the appropriate response would be to attack them first right?

Should Obama say that military intelligence indicates that they have Weapons of mass desctruction?

Oh wait.....they already do.

Why didn't Bush invade NK instead of Iraq?

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
China clearly holds the key to this puzzle and all eyes are on them not the U.S. China is well known as NK's largest supplier of food and fuel aid and if they want the rhetoric and missile tests to stop they just have to close the tap on fuel and restrict food shipments.

China has a history of offering a muted response to the actions of North Korea as they pertain to threats and missile test firings. I would like to think that the underground Nuke testing would raise the bar a bit more and result in China taking a more aggressive stance on the issue.

Whatever happened to the six-nation talks aimed at shutting down NK's nuke capability? Obviously, nothing!!!!

I can assure you that Iran is watching all of this very closely. NK is suspected of supplying Iran with some of their atomic technology.

edit to add six party talks info: These talks have been going on for 6 bloody years!!
en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 27-5-2009 by jibeho]

[edit on 27-5-2009 by jibeho]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
If N.Korea are serious about what they are saying, then there would be no use in talking to them. Openly stating that they will "Take Action" against S.Korea is bad, they didn't even make it subliminal. It was an open THREAT and N.Korea has always been seen as a threat to S.Korea and neighbouring countries, it's just now they are MORE threatening.

Kim Jong's health has a lot to do with this. As many have stated he supposedly had a stroke or something a few years back. Now maybe he has realised his time is short and he isn't the "powerful leader" he was once seen as... If this is true then guarantee he will make the WORLD see how powerful he is.

He abandoned the ceasefire with S.Korea, which means from this point on, if S.Korea cough the wrong way, old crazy himself will declare war. He's looking for any excuse.

But just how much does N.Korea have to lose? Not alot, the country is a mess, buildings unfinished, poverty stricken & ignorant of outisde help.

If Kim does'nt have any REAL intentions of bombing S.Korea, I wouldn't be suprised if a false flag OP was created in order to start a war with N.Korea.

top topics

join