It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Veterans - Would you do it again?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I will be honest. I joined the military a many years ago as part of a bargain deal. I had something it wanted and it had something I wanted and we made a deal. I would sign up for a tour of duty and I would give them what they wanted and after the tour they would give me what I wanted. How that played out is another story.

What I want to know from the vets around here is would you do it again.

I don't have a beef with the military. I was young and I met some of the most amazing and interesting people I have ever met in my life while in the military.

I learned a many life lessons while serving my country as a member of the military. Some good. Some bad.

I would be a completely different person if I had not done my military service and I am not sure it that is a good thing or a bad thing; or if it just is.

I am just curious.

Would you do it again?

Knowing everything that you know now; would you sign up for military service again today?

[edit on 27-5-2009 by NightSkyeB4Dawn]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

joined the Army in July of 2001 straight out of high school, 6 months later I am in Afghanistan, talk about a culture shock, must of the kids I went to school with were still in the states in school-). After Afghanistan I found myself in lovely Iraq twice-) But to answer your question, In a heartbeat would I do it again, If we go to war with Iran or North Korea I will defiantly go back

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I would do it in a New York minute.

The military life is just a part of me that just won't die.

Hard to explain but it just one of the few places where I honestly felt that I belonged.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by poedxsoldiervet

joined the Army in July of 2001 straight out of high school, 6 months later I am in Afghanistan, talk about a culture shock, must of the kids I went to school with were still in the states in school-). After Afghanistan I found myself in lovely Iraq twice-) But to answer your question, In a heartbeat would I do it again, If we go to war with Iran or North Korea I will defiantly go back

Your life changes when you enter the military in so many ways that you can't keep count and it is not always about growing up.

Every experience that you have when in the military whether it seems memorable or not will affect you in some way that you may not see for years to come.

God bless you and thank you.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
I would do it in a New York minute.

The military life is just a part of me that just won't die.

Hard to explain but it just one of the few places where I honestly felt that I belonged.

The military life is truly something that is hard to understand unless you have experienced it.

It really is unlike any other and I don't believe that anything else even comes close.

It is never perfect yet in some ways it is living through those experiences that are imperfect that adds to the strength of our units.

It does become a part of you because you are such a large and important part of the whole.

The most important lesson that you learn in the military is that survival is not always about the size and sophistication of your weapons.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I am surprised at the number of military people that after all the country has put them through and with the disappointment of the lack of government concern for the average American citizen, are still willing to volunteer for service to their country.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I am a Vietnam era veteran.

I am proud to say I served my country with honor.

I don't always agree with the choices my country makes, but, if you join the military you should serve with honor.

If I could go back, I would do it again.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightSkyeB4Dawn

I am surprised at the number of military people that after all the country has put them through and with the disappointment of the lack of government concern for the average American citizen, are still willing to volunteer for service to their country.

The country didn't put us through it. We did.

On topic- I got out 2 years ago and joined the reserves. I have been fighting ever since for them to put me back on Active status.

The military life can be hard, but it is great. Free gym membership, get to train on all type of fun stuff and they take care of your family when you are away.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Civil War veteran and long time army guy here (not USA military, of course)...

No, I would never go again, unless direct military attack on US soil happens.

Too much nonsense in occupying other countries and other shady US military activities through out the world I suppose, lol

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
i asked my husband your question. he was drafted into the army during the vietnam war.
his answer was yes...and he wished he'd not been injured as a result of that conflict. otherwise, he'd still be able to return.

[edit on 5/28/2009 by heather65]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Would I do it again?

Does a one-legged duck swim in circles?

The only time in my life that I found something I naturally excelled at. Oh, I cussed and griped as loud as the rest of them over the heat, the cold, the sun, the rain, the sand, the mud, the bugs, and the chow.

But never since have I been so thoroughly tested.

If they need me, I'll go.

One more time.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by jd140

Originally posted by NightSkyeB4Dawn

[The country didn't put us through it. We did./i]

On topic- I got out 2 years ago and joined the reserves. I have been fighting ever since for them to put me back on Active status.

The military life can be hard, but it is great. Free gym membership, get to train on all type of fun stuff and they take care of your family when you are away.

You are right but we, the people, make up the country. We have taken our eye off the prize and have not always valued those that fought for America and the people of this land.

Though not perfect I still stand in awe of the men and women in the military that serve and protect our country.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I don't even have to think about it...

Without hesitation I would do it again... Heck, If our nation was to call again, I would return to duty.

I served eight years, under the incredible leadership of Ronaldus Magnus. I watched this nation change, and in so doing I watched the world change... For the better.

I'm quite pleased to see that I'm not the only one who feels that way.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by 5thElement
Civil War veteran and long time army guy here (not USA military, of course)...

No, I would never go again, unless direct military attack on US soil happens.

Too much nonsense in occupying other countries and other shady US military activities through out the world I suppose, lol

It sounds like you have paid your dues and for that we are grateful. I think that you serve us best by being right here and keeping us focused.

We sometimes forget about what is really important in this world and not all battles are won on the battle field.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
as my uncle once said, "i wouldn't take a million dollars for what i got to see and experience, and i wouldn't take a million dollars to do it again!"...

i would consider it, but only if it were in officer status. i would have never met my wife if i would have been a lifer.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Oh, hells yeah I'd do it again.

Wait, I'm still in.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by zooplancton
as my uncle once said, "i wouldn't take a million dollars for what i got to see and experience, and i wouldn't take a million dollars to do it again!"...

i would consider it, but only if it were in officer status. i would have never met my wife if i would have been a lifer.

An officer is no better then the team he/she serves.

I started out as a green as grass butter bars. I would have been swallowed up and spit out my first day out if it had not been for a savvy, disgruntled, mean spirited Airman that took pity on me.

God Bless Ernie. He taught me all the things that you never learn from the book and some things that would get the book thrown at you. But I think we all had to learn those lessons.

The only reason I would go back now is to give some young person an opportunity to get a couple of more years of maturity, education or parenting under their belt.

Children just seem so much younger now then they did then.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   

i dunno,
on a day to day basis, officers get way better living conditions and quarters, and basic life essentials than the enlisted do. at least in the USN they do. grunt work vs. educated work. i'd go for the later.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
You can't use the fact that others are doing the wrong thing as an excuse for not doing the right thing.

Eight years of jumping, scuba, shooting and wearing out boots was just the tip of the iceberg. The experiences, travel, growth and friendship with people that went through all of the same things is priceless.

I'd do it again.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
You can't use the fact that others are doing the wrong thing as an excuse for not doing the right thing.

Eight years of jumping, scuba, shooting and wearing out boots was just the tip of the iceberg. The experiences, travel, growth and friendship with people that went through all of the same things is priceless.

I'd do it again.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join