It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inside America's (Mock) Attack on North Korea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Inside America's (Mock) Attack on North Korea

www.wired.com

Even the hawks say there’s not much America can do, in response to North Korea’s nuclear test. But that doesn’t mean the U.S. military isn’t prepping for a war with the Kim Jong-Il regime, just in case.

In March, American and South Korean forces teamed up for the “Key Resolve/Foal Eagle” war game. 13,100 troops from outside Korea — and tens of thousands more, already stationed in the country — participated in the massive exercise, which focused on “deploying troops and equipment to Korea in the event of an attack,” according to a military press release.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Some U.S. and South Korean commandos made airborne jumps together from a helium blimp; others, from helicopters hovering above the Korea Strait. A third group ran a mock “operation to secure a suspected chemical weapons lab.” Unconventional weapons experts drilled in responding to a simulated strike involving “hundreds of WMD.” Navy helicopter pilots swept for mines, while Marine fighter pilots flew with their South Korean counterparts to “wipe out” simulated enemy aircraft.

The Americans and their allies kicked all kinds of butt in the exercise, of course. Other war games, testing out the North Korean scenario, didn’t end quite as cleanly. One ran by The Atlantic in 2005 forecast 100,000 or more dead civilians in the first few days. And that was if the U.S. could assemble the half-million to million troops needed for such an assault; none of the participants thought such a staggering number of troops could be gathered together, given all of America’s military commitments around the world.

Two years earlier, the Pentagon put together a very different kind of war plan for North Korea — one that didn’t involve ground troops at all. Instead, U.S. forces would lob bombs and missiles and electronic attacks in an instant “global strike.” Even nuclear weapons were considered, as part of the plan.

So America is considering ground troops and air strikes to N. Korea. Brilliant. Let's set S. Korea up to get torched.

On a side note, I love that, while this is nothing more than a training excersize, they have already given it a name: Key Resolve/Foal Eagle. Curious.

Foal means to a young horse, or to give birth to a young horse. I find the name very interesting.

www.wired.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
It is a job of the military to expect every kind of attack/situation possible. I am not surprised they have considered these types of plans.

What I wonder though is if there are top level meetings going on right now discussing these plans and the possibility of war.

I doubt we would use a conventional ground troop war in N.Korea as it is dense and hilly forest. N.Korea seems more of an air strike war with a few insertion teams to make sure the job is done.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
The harsh reality is that the South will be attacked and will face massive casualties. But is this inevitable anyway?

If no one does anything for fear of them attacking Seoul, and they are allowed to build their power in-line with nuclear, chemical and biological weaponry, many more (and I mean MANY more) will die when they eventually do attack.

It's not pretty and it's not nice to have to think about, but isn't it better to do something now and save possibly millions of lives, than to wait and do little *hoping* that is all works out?

We know the North would love nothing more than to hit the South and take everything for themselves. That is their goal.

They want their system of government but also want the riches and luxury of the south. They eye the south jealously.

I'm afraid I'm with the US military on this one, there should be a plan to attack the North, to save as many lives in the south as possible.
If I'm not mistaken, the North don't yet have a nuclear capability beyond testing.

Any attack against the N.Korean regime should take out as much of the fire-power aimed at Seoul as possible, then take out their infrastructure and defend the immense border.

It is possible, but not without many deaths.
The question is are we prepared to risk that many people to prevent an immeasurable attack later on?

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I don't know if it get's written about every year but there are war games / training exercises all the time. Some of them are small but about once a year they have a bigger one. Unit's in Korea are pretty much constantly training, as well as unit's in other areas, this training doesn't show up in the news much unless it relates to something bigger. Life is not easy as a soldier, even when not at war they are constantly away for weeks at a time training.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I agree the North should be hit and hit now however the world is like a giant chess board at the moment and no country has ever won a war fighting on 4 fronts. I think the minute America hits NK, Iran will attack Israel, there will be massive insurgents in Iraq and Afghanistan and potential hits at home from terrorists. This could be checkmate for western civilisation right here. If this unfolds the only option would be nukes and I think it would resemble the end of Terminator 3, no one would be safe, and here I was worrying about 2012

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
The thing with North Korea is they have a large amount of arty pieces dug into hillsides, in underground bunkers, and they have a vastly large underground network system of tunnels that are linked together. (Yes they took a play book out of the Vietnam war) It is said and it is true that if North Korea launched an attack on the south everything from the DMZ to Seoul would be destroy from the first 5 minutes of there artillery Fire. This is the reason the US moved all of its forces South of Seoul.

Airstrikes and missiles would be effective but only if you could bellow below the Earth, If this war happens, expect large ground forces to be called up, And not just the Guard and Reserves. I am talking IRR and even Vets who have served there 8 years. And It would take at least 6-8 months for a force that side to make it to Korea.

Also, from reports I have read, North Korea has enough weapons to wage war for six months, they would have to win it before that time is up. And let’s not forget there Allies the China, from 1950-1953 Chinese Soldiers poured across the border to assist the north. How do you think we would fare against a more powerful better equipment red china army??

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I feel sorry for NK but we are not about to fight them conventionally unless they try to invade SK. Ask any Vietnam vet if they will mess with a ROK Marine from South Korea and you will get a HELL NO!!

While the U.S. says we will take them on conventionally, It will never happen. We would bomb them into oblivion and starve them out because we know that all of them are brainwashed to the point were they will all fight till they cant fight any longer.

If they were dumb enough to try and invade SK then they would run into a wall of death courtesy of United States and ROK Marines.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Styki

If the North attacks the South you better be sure the America would Invoke NATO to join the fight, not to mention Israel’s War pacts with a lot of western nations. And I expect a draft to happen, if these scenarios occur.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tentickles
It is a job of the military to expect every kind of attack/situation possible. I am not surprised they have considered these types of plans.

What I wonder though is if there are top level meetings going on right now discussing these plans and the possibility of war.

I doubt we would use a conventional ground troop war in N.Korea as it is dense and hilly forest. N.Korea seems more of an air strike war with a few insertion teams to make sure the job is done.

The article states that the U.S. is working a contingency to consider use of nukes in N. korea. I dont think this is normal prepping.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

I don't think ground exercises are intended for an invasion force, but more for a defensive force. If NK were to attack, they would flood millions into Southern Korea attempting to disrupt supply lines. We would need to re-supply areas with drops as well as reinforcements.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sky watcher
If they were dumb enough to try and invade SK then they would run into a wall of death courtesy of United States and ROK Marines.

The reality of the situation (all machismo posturing aside),
is that ROK and US/Allied forces would suffer massive casualties in the event of a full-scale attack by the north. It would be pure carnage.

The situation would eventually change after US/Allied reinforcements arrive to counterattack and mop-up NK forces. I suppose, in that respect, they would finally meet "the wall of death."

In the meantime, South Korea would be reduced to rubble. The economic devastation to the world economy would be enormous. Who knows what other players around the world would jump on the opportunity to press their military goals in other crisis zones, while the US military was distracted. . (China/Taiwan anyone)?

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
FYI...Foal Eagle exercises have been conducetd every year for a while. I know far sure since 2001. I was stationed in Japan with the Navy from 01-06 and every year we participated with the Foal Eagle exercise. It seems the media tends to hype up any exercises the military has been conducting jointly for years when ever someone starts to act up.

Just my two

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juston
FYI...Foal Eagle exercises have been conducetd every year for a while. I know far sure since 2001. I was stationed in Japan with the Navy from 01-06 and every year we participated with the Foal Eagle exercise. It seems the media tends to hype up any exercises the military has been conducting jointly for years when ever someone starts to act up.

Just my two

Good to know! Thanks for the info.

Do you have any incite into the name Foal Eagle?

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Unfortunately no, your guess is as good as mine.

2nd line

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I believe that the US military would be very naive if they didnt prepare for situations that could happen at any given moment by any nation. I am not suprised by this course of action, because thats how a nation stays on top of the other, being prepared. Im sure many of you survivalists out there can relate to being prepared for something, not just because you know something is going to happen, but because being prepared is the key to survival at any given moment, at any given time.
War games are neccessary to understand just how ones nation would fight a certain enemy over the next. We wouldnt take on NK like we would with lets say China because everything changes. Im sure we have many plans to fight many nations that just havent been brought out to light, and that makes me feel a little more comfortable knowing that at least we are doing something to prepare instead of just sitting on our asses waiting for something to happen and not being ready for it.

new topics

top topics

join