It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Barking' Feral Girl 'Raised By Dogs'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   

'Barking' Feral Girl 'Raised By Dogs'

uk.news.yahoo.com

A five-year-old girl who was allegedly "brought up" by cats and dogs in a flat has been taken into care, Russian police have revealed.

The child, who lived in the eastern Siberian city of Chita, could not speak Russian and acted like an dog.

"For five years, the girl was 'brought up' by several dogs and cats and had never been outside," a police statement said.

"The unwashed girl was dressed in filthy clothes, had the clear attributes of an animal and jumped at people," it said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   
What is wrong with some people?

I can understand this situation if there was an event such as war, mass famine, plague etc where a child is lost and found by a pack of dogs/wolves/whatever... but it seems this child was clearly living in the family home.

Just what brings people to do this? How the heck can two adult people think in the same manner and allow this to happen? They've not found the father yet.. wonder were he skulked off to?

uk.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
omg, what a poor girl. Imagine a few years in the future and she still remembers it
What terrible parents!

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Interryanmilan

....I for one am 18 and can't for the life of me remember 15, let alone 5....
I mean, yes, the fact that parents just let it happen sucks, but I doubt she will remember it at all since she may not have developed the same memory functions as a normal child. After all, she didn't need to remember words or much of anything really.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Hmm that's pretty interesting. I wonder how the animals helped her survive.

Anymore information on this out there?

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
How was she able to eat food if none of the animals ever went outside? Actually, Nevermind, I probably dont want to know.

[edit on 27-5-2009 by drsmooth23]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by BiohazardsBack

I mean, yes, the fact that parents just let it happen sucks, but I doubt she will remember it at all since she may not have developed the same memory functions as a normal child. After all, she didn't need to remember words or much of anything really.

I remember even being 2 years old.

I remember being almost 5 and my mother and father divorcing, and my mother moving far away. I remember missing my father. I remember many things.

And those thing truly have affected the rest of my life in some way.

So yes it will affect her life.

[edit on 27-5-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I remember a lot of things from my childhood.

The problem with this though is not so much what she will remember, but more to do with what she has learnt.

Imagine growing up for 5 years doing everything exactly the same as dogs do. This will cause so any problems and will make for many a topical discussion.

We all know how dogs act, what they do and how they do it.

Her only method of speech is to bark. How many other canine attributes has she learnt?
All of which are completely natural to her now. Suddenly she is now in the real world and this 5 year period of learning must now be un-learnt. She has to learn to talk, walk, eat as a human..amongst other things.

5 years of body memory must be cleaned.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Farel children have always interested me to a degree, although I feel horrible knowing that these children had to grow up in these situations.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

Again, you were most likely raised by humans as a human being. She was raised by animals as an animal. I have read research on these kids, their minds do NOT develop the same as a normal human's.
I guess the only way to try to predict whether or not she will remember it is if we knew whether or not cats and dogs remembered being babies. Because that's really what she was.
I don't doubt that she will remember her rehabilitation, or at least some of it. And maybe she might have a foggy idea of this, but in all honesty, she has the BODY of a 2 year old. But at 2, mentally, you should be able to speak. If she was living with a parent in the house, I doubt that she could have lived that whole time without hearing ANY speaking from her mother. Her brain is not at the level of a normal 5 year old, or even a 2 year old possibly. She has the training of an animal and the real question here is not whether or not you can remember it, as if you remember 2 you were obviously very advanced psychologically speaking.
She is the opposite of that.

My point in my memory was that the average person probably wouldn't remember that as well, and that she is below average mentally right now, so I doubt that she will be able to remember any more than perhaps the very end of this when she gets older.
And all of that is ASSUMING she becomes a normal human being with the same ideas and thought processes as us, which as far as I know, is either very rare, or even impossible once you hit a point. Your brain has specific timelines in which it can learn the concept of language. I believe 5 is past the original ideas.
I read up extensively on this a few months back and none of the children recovered fully. Most cannot even live alone, hold a job, go to a normal school, etc.
They have to live with a caregiver 24 hours a day, or in a mental institution because they simply didn't develop the tools no matter how long the doctors/etc tried to train them, adapt them back into normal life.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
It really is sickening what some people do to their children

Such children have usually built strong ties with the animals with whom they lived and find the transition to normal human existence highly traumatic.

A police spokeswoman said the girl, known as Natasha, is being monitored by psychologists in an orphanage.

Of course it will be highly tramatic for her she believes that she is a dog, and she's being monitored

They've taken her away from her family (the dogs) which i'm sure is where she received all of her affection from, and placed her into an orphanage where they obviously expect her to act like a child already.

They have taken her from a home filled with abuse and neglect and thrown her into another which is even more traumatic for her, and she has no way of understanding what's going on. It would be less traumatic for her, and she would stand a better chance at making the transition had they found a way to let at least one of the dogs stay with her, and not placed her in an enviroment such as an orphanage.

The youngster refuses to eat with a spoon and has taken on many of the gestures of the animals with which she lived, police said.

uk.news.yahoo.com...

She's not refusing to eat with a spoon, she doesn't know how, she doesn't understand that she is a human being

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by BiohazardsBack

She has heard people speaking, and understands the human langauge.

"In all these years, the girl managed to master the animal language only," the statement said, adding that the girl could understand Russian, while not speaking it.

uk.news.yahoo.com...

She was just never taught how to speak as a human. The fact that she understands the human language is the one thing that may help her transition.

I think that she will remember much, if not all of her early years, many people remember quite vividly their childhoods.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
People think that a person who is raised by non-human animals and believes themself to be an animal of that particular species is somehow a poor, miserable person that is barely fitting of the "human" label.

At the same time, many of the same people will find a pet that believes themselves to be a human, because that is what they were raised by, as the cutest thing on earth.

A dog that tries to talk when its owners are conversing?
"Awww. How cute."

A human that barks when its caretakers also bark?
"OMG! That is a horrible crime against nature!"

The real question in my mind as I read the article was, "What happened to the animals that provided warmth, food, and emotional support for this girl?" If the animals were rounded up and put into a pound or something wouldn't that be, psychologically, like arresting the girl's family for commiting the crime of caring for her?

Jon

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Voxel

I'm sure they were probably put into a pound

I know that she needs to be taught how to function in the world of humans in order that she may survive, but i don't think that she should have been seperated form her family, the animals that raised her. Not only is she going through emotionnal trauma because of the seperation, but so are they

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I visited Russia in 1993 and during my trip I visited some orphanages there. I am haunted to this day from what I saw. The amount of children (birth to teenagers) and the condition they were in was alarming. Many kids who were just left and had never been held or loved. Too many kids, not enough care givers and kids be neglected even in care. Im not sure if the orphanges are the same today - but it would not surprise me.

So this story (and others like it) does not surprise me either. I visited parts of Russia that had no running water. No electricity. Absolute poverty. And im sure having babies is a burden on some of these families - therefore we hear about these types of strories.

Moscow and other large cities are very modern. But you go outside the cities and you step back in time.

[edit on 5/27/2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by BiohazardsBack

I have specific memories as far back as 2 years of age. Family has verified the facts of those memories. I can also quite vividly remember many things in Kindergarten when I was four, grade one when I was five and throughout the rest of my life.

I sure hope her memory isn't a fraction as good as mine...

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by beautyfrompain
Farel children have always interested me to a degree, although I feel horrible knowing that these children had to grow up in these situations.

Yeah I researched this a few years ago. There are multiple confirmed cases. Most of them in Russia funny enough. All due to child abandonment. If you dont want your kid adopt him or her out its that simple. Plenty of people would love to have a child that cannot have one.

[edit on 27-5-2009 by Memysabu]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I am pretty sure my dog remembers me , so I do not see her forgetting her experiences at all , just because she thinks she is a dog.

It will probably be hard to adapt though , just like when people are told they are living an illusion.

join