It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia fears North Korea conflict could turn nuclear

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Russia fears North Korea conflict could turn nuclear

www.haaretz.com

Russia is taking security measures as a precaution against the possibility tension over North Korea could escalate into nuclear war, news agencies quoted officials as saying on Wednesday.

Interfax quoted an unnamed security source as saying a stand-off triggered by Pyongyang's nuclear test on Monday could affect the security of Russia's far eastern regions, which border North Korea.

"The need has emerged for an appropriate package of precautionary measures," the source said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Russia is sharing the same concern that I have, in that we may see the first use of a nuclear weapon on a population since WWII.

With the success of the NK nuclear test, the sudden barrage of missile testing, threats of war against South Korea and the dissolution of the 1953 armistice treaty, North Korea has clearly chosen the path of war above all others with regard to how the world treats them.

This is really a crossroad in Korean history where the outcome could be one of the most devastating wars with massive casualties which could span in the millions if the use of nuclear weapons are used.

Let's hope tensions calm and peace and diplomacy can be restored, or we may as well be witnessing the destruction of the Korean peninsula.

www.haaretz.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Things will not calm. It is like wave after wave after wave . . . each one getting progressively bigger.

Soon, friends, soon.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I for one will be watching the Earthquake monitors on the Korean peninsula over the next few days if not weeks.

The use of nuclear weapons on a population will cause the world to respond quickly and violently to stop N.Korea.

I hope this is saber rattling.... I truly hope.

Here is the USGS Site for Earthquakes if any wish to join me.
USGS Asia

[edit on 5/27/2009 by Tentickles]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Maybe if N.Korea DID infact use nuclear weapons on a population, that would trigger this No Nukes thing some governments are going for. I hope N.Korea don't use one for the obvious reasons such as loss of life and what it could do to the planet. But I hope they DO use one so we can finally bomb that country back so far back, Kim will think he's on Mars.

I'm just waiting for Breaking News: N.Korea uses nuclear warhead on S.Korea, soon as I see that, my face will drop as I wish I had of stocked up on foods.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
North Korea wanted nukes.

They may get more than they anticipated.

This is the same crap that drives me mad! Liberals think talking with these stiffies can make a difference.

They don't understand that with stiffies, negotiation is merely a delaying tactic until they get strong enough to kill again.

Korea and Iran.

We have been warned time and again, but we prefer CHANGE WE CAN BELIEVE IN.

Believe this: So many pressure points all around the world are building to the bursting point.

So, how about this CHANGE?

Ain't it great?

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tentickles
Here is the USGS Site for Earthquakes if any wish to join me.
USGS Asia

Very good tentickles.
Here is the info on the North Korean 'earthquake' that registered a 4.7 for this past Monday.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by dooper

I believe I have posted this in another thread but it is not change. It is...

Chains we can believe in

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I hear ya .. and I posted some of this in another thread but it translates here very well ...

I think it's time for Obama to make use of his 3 AM Phone Call option.

Gotta call someone with some REAL experience (not just community organizer experience) to help get us out of this pickle. Obviously Obama's 'lets all chat and get along' policy isn't working. I have no idea who he can call ... but he's gotta' call someone!

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I dont know about this going nuclear, i can see N.Korea using nukes, but i cant see anyone else.

Because of the possision of N.Korea, if anyone uses nukes on them the fallout will criple china, and no one would like having a realy big pissed off super power on their arse.

This needs to be more tactical than just bombs flying over everywere, it needs to be a very carefuly construced tactic, if we go in and rush it the results would be dissastorous, i just cant believe that everyone stood and watched them get more crazy and powerful over 60years and never though of a plan to take them down when this happens.

They must have a plan, if not, well, what the hell have they been doing about N.Korea for 60 years??

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Change of heart, I guess? It's odd that in very beginning of the N Korea thread it was posted that Russia saw no threat in N Korea. (Forgive me for the lack of linkage, posting from my blackberry, but it's in one of the main NK threads right now)

I wonder what changed their minds?

Edit:

Oops! Disregard. Just backtracked to the "north korea fired missile inot eastern sea confirmed" thread and the post I'm referencing was sarcastic. My bad!

[edit on 27-5-2009 by Heatburger]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heatburger
I wonder what changed their minds?

Perhaps the reality of the mental instability of N. Korea's leadership?
That'd be my first guess. No matter how good an ally another country
is ... if their leadership is so obviously deranged as N. Korea's then it's
time to take a step back and re-evaluate.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Here is what will happen next: nothing terribly exciting. That's right, NO NUCLEAR WAR, NO ANY KIND OF WAR.

Everyone knows Kim's regime is undergoing a bit of struggle, and the crazy midget is not ready to give up control yet. This is all simply a game meant as much for internal North Korean consumption as for the world. The nuke test had made North Korea and Kim somewhat more relevant, but it won't do much other than buy him some time. So NK has some nukes now - that does not in any way indicate that they intend a preliminary strike against South Korea or anyone else. In fact if they have anymore operational warheads, they will hold on to them untill the very end, because they are meant primarily as a deterrent for self-defense.

What NK wants now is to rouse everyone up and create commotion out of nothing. A military emergency and threat from the US might be exactly what Kim is hoping for - nothing better to keep the nation under you than martial law. In fact a hardline stance from the US would be playing directly into Kim's hands. And all the people screaming for US to be up at arms about this whole thing are not helping anything. A military stand off will solve nothing but only strengthen NK regime. A preliminary strike by US is out of the question at this point.

So the likelyhood is that Obama and everyone else will do nothing in favor of waiting this out - and that is the correct thing to do. There is almost no chance that NK will stage a preliminary strike, and Russia and China have already expressed their innitiative to renew talks and calm everything down. NK does not have the backing of either China or Russia to start war, and cannot afford to.

As for the war hawks - they will be left disappointed. No war here, just NK throwing some feces and hoping that someone notices and stink.

[edit on 27-5-2009 by maloy]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Russia and China should be concerned about nuclear fallout. I don't think the US needs to use nuclear weapons against North Korea, but in all likelihood they may have to if North Korea uses one first.

I still don't know what North Korea is going to gain in how they are acting. More isolation, potential total destruction... it really is madness on part of lil' Kim.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
This is just a normal reaction to the situation from russia. What else do you guys think they are going to do(i mean the russian defence).

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Dooper...thats right. We need to clamp down on those wicked countries like iran. Aggressive countries that have constantly been at war right? After all, they've attacked not a single country in the last 300 years. And who do they use aggressive language to? Oh yeah, only Israel and the US, the only 2 countries who are constantly pushing restrictions and embargo's upon them and threatening them with airstrikes and even nuclear annihilation. Those damn Persians, so damn unreasonable.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heatburger
Change of heart, I guess? It's odd that in very beginning of the N Korea thread it was posted that Russia saw no threat in N Korea.

I think Russia still sees no real threat in N. Korea, however now Russia is concerned that the current tension and lack of negotiations between two sides might cause one of the other parties (US or South Korea) to innitiate conflict. So the actions by Russia are meant to inderline Russia's concern about the instability of the situation, and hopeful to bring about the return of 6 party talks. If Russia really expected a nuclear war on the Korean penninsula, they wouldn't announce it anyway but would make secret preparations.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by dooper
So, how about this CHANGE?

And which part of the previous 56 years of US and UN policy since the Korean war started has Obama been involved in since he came into office in January this year exactly?

[edit on 27/5/09 by neformore]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
And which part of the previous 56 years of US and UN policy since the Korean war started has Obama been involved in since he came into office in January this year exactly?

[edit on 27/5/09 by neformore]

I can't wait until people start blaming Obama for their unhappy sex lives.

These people can't even name a single person who could be the wonderwall, so to speak. That person only exists in their conspiratorial heads.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
By the way does anyone know what actions the US navy is undertaking around the Korean penninsula currently? My guess is that the Arleigh Burke class destroyers can provide some sort of active missile defense shield via AEGIS technology for South Korea. If anything, this would be the only meaningful move by the US at this point.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join