It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Can Proudly Say I Havn't Watched Television In 5 Years!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
PaulKCA and Stuff1, Thanks my friends
Im sure i said in a previous post but if not i will say again, i have no qualms with anyone who wishes to watch television, when i started this thread it was just to share my storie and hear others views
i must say i am proud of you for whittling television time down to 1 hour a night, i think that may even be healthier than none, although i cant speak from experience obviously haha!! Thanks again friends, peace and love to you both

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Congrats on making it for 5 years. Although that is a nice accomplishment it's not so much about not watching any TV but choosing the right programs you want to view without running into the rest of the garbage.

I really have no reason to give up television entirely. I like to laugh and there are a few shows on TV that I love. Always Sunny in Philadelphia is one of them. I also enjoy the discovery channel a lot. I also like sports having played them for almost 2 decades I just can't stop watching my favorite teams.

I agree that watching too much TV can be a problem and most people think nothing of sitting in front of the tube for 5 hours a night. I just DVR my favorites and skip all the commercials and that seems to work out well for me.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I haven't watched T.V. in about 4 months, aside from my parents turning on the T.V. and I take a peak to see what bull they are broadcasting on the news, or when I go over to a friends house who always has their T.V. on.

I appreciate the internet, I've learned more on here in 5 months ( almost a year now) than I have in middle school and highschool combined.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I haven't had tv for about 4 years. TV sucks. I do, however, watch youtube videos, movies, and read. But nothing can substitute a nice quiet day with no outside influence at all

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
good for you, I do not watch network television but I do have a bit of an HBO original programing addiction... I may need help...

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
TV is an escapism we all know that, it can educate and inform yes... but the stuff fed to us is usually filtered and propaganda.

News is news but is intended to make us think in a certain direction.

The stuff not on the news is what is usually... real news.

I applaud the op for the achievement at 21.

I went one year without TV and wrote forty songs(Albeit not great ones),but the relief from brainwashing was beautiful(no papers either)

Used to sit alone and watch the sun set for months on end.

Now I have a 50 inch plasma with every cable channel.

Its all what you have the strength for.

Life has many many rooms.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gemwolf
reply to post by Free4Ever2

IMO the Internet is not that much different from Television...

I emphatically disagree. I switched off the boob tube over five years ago myself and feel a huge difference in my BS sensitivity meter go off the chart. TV brainwashes through not only its message and its commercials but also through the way its all presented. TV shows are what is making more of our young population not be able to think for themselves because they are fed and are not interacting or have much control as to how they are presented with the feeding of knowledge.

TV gave birth to the modern "Thug" the thoughtless people without empathy in mass. TV gave birth to the young girls that have become sexual at way too young of an age. They are now prostituting themselves for things like cool clothes at the mall and even better grades.

TV gave birth to the pubescent young people that have not been able to find a date with the opposite sex and were teetering on the edge of homosexuality. Flesh is flesh and if you make it seem mainstream and maybe even "cool" top be gay they are more easily tipped in the wrong direction. When I was teen I had a hard time venting my sexual frustration and almost gave up in the opposite sex. If it were not so taboo in the mainstream I would not have held out and may have gone in that direction.

So much more I have to stop now, a person could write a book on the violence and lack of "humanness" TV fosters.

TV has nearly ruined mankind IMO.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I have not watched Tv in over 2 years. But i do watch the news and occasional movie on my PC. I got bored with TV and did not feel like paying for something I rarely watched. It was not some life changing decision for me I was raised in a house that could'nt afford cable let alone a decent tv set. So it was not a huge decision. Most of my free time is spent hiking, fishing and reading. Although i do catch the occasional tv show when I visit friends or my parents. I see nothing wrong with people watching TV but I do see and know people who watch way to much. But on the flip side I know some people who spend way to much time online, I have a group of friends who play online games and its sad to see their personal lives ruined over it. Someone with an addictive personality can make anything in their life destructive.

[edit on 27-5-2009 by rbilly001]

[edit on 27-5-2009 by rbilly001]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by rbilly001

I agree with that. Some people become obsessed with video games just as much as others with tv. Then they make excuses like it promotes hand-eye coordination and other crap to justify their addiction and usually they end up having sad lives that they always complain about because they could never take the time away from their precious entertainment to live in reality. It's just like a drug addiction to some. But it confuses me how those kinds of people who get addicted to tv, video games, drugs, or whatever don't seem to realize the harm they are actually causing themselves and others.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gemwolf
Is the Internet that much different from Television? What would your response be if a friend told you that the Internet is nothing "more than a brainwashing machine"?

absolutely not. i really didn't read the thread, but ill comment on this topic because the television is already "selected" for you. Internet, depending on your intuition and such, is most likely far more efficient.

C'mon supermoderator..

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I just watch everything on the net....what I hate about television are the damn commercials and the OP is right....it is pretty much a "stupid box."

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Me and my girlfriend have just moved into our own place and i haven't really acknowledged the notion that there is no television present anymore. However, I've got to say that this is a plus for me because I'll usually find myself turning on the t.v. and going straight to the Corrupt News Network and listening to all of the propaganda bull#. I'm just not into the whole "brainwashing" scenario anymore. My brain doesn't need any sort of bathing. Not to mention, I don't want any unwanted images of me sent to government headquarters via digital broadcasting. Ain't my swag son.

and # the 5.0

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Hmm, I'm pretty sure I would miss wrestling and miss something. You could try watching TV when you want and showing restraint when you don't. The problem is not the TV friend. It's the lack of self control.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I dont watch tv but I do watch Two And a Half Men on the internet

and well, the news, i prefer to read them!

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I mostly consume my TV online. I watch it like I drink alcohol. That would be in binges and then quit for a long time after I have reminded myself why I quit in the first place.

There is just too much to learn to spend all your free time TV watching.

Now if I want serialized TV entertainment I consume it on Hulu or Joost and spend far less time watching commercials and setting my schedule to the TV program times. I pause the video stream or DVD or what have you and do something useful like answer emails, write in my blogs, or read the news feeds or visit this or other message boards.

I would never go back to sitting in front of the TV. It is just to yesterday and wasteful of my time. I also spend some time reading books. I like to visit the library and pick up a real book from time to time. Ebooks are great but you can only stare at the screen for just so long.

I do have a computer on me at all times with a 3g connection even when I am out and doing things with my friends. You would be surprised how many arguments are avoided when your info resource is always at hand. If I want to upload a photo to the web for instance from my phone or digital camera or web cam I can do it from anywhere.

Why be sitting at home watching TV when you can have a netbook on your table while at the beach under an umbrella sipping a drink and talking to your friends.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I was born in Burbank California and raised in the backyard of Hollywood. As a little kid we lived down the street from several movie studios. I remember countless times looking through their chain link fences and seeing all the 2D props and actors / actresses with thick pancake makeup on their faces. Then I’d go home and turn on the TV, and think to myself, "wow, this junk it totally bogus!"

When I left home as a teenager, I left the TV behind. That was decades ago. Can’t stand the damn things. Of course the Internet is a different story, I love it!

[edit on 28-5-2009 by seasoul]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Another problem with TV is that its expensive. In my area, Comcast charges exorbitant rates and forces you to get digital TV boxes, which might make use of the SSSS. Internet is much cheaper, no ads (Firefox has an extension to remove them), and you have more control. I will say I like video games, but they are different from TV because they are interactive.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
It was back in 1996 I started weaning off the TV and these days I watch about an hour a month of local only, non cable TV in the form of local news. Even so, I only tune in when there's an important trial being reported or occasional message from the county / state officials.

It was Jeff Rense that let me know its ok to tune out. Not that I'm an avid Rense listener etc but it was his constant reminder of waking up and thinking for one's self that came at a time when there was no Alex Jones and Coast to Coast really didn't get into the conspiracy of thought at the time. For that, he will always have my respect for encouraging people to think and research for themselves.

So as many of you, I am a radio nut. I listen to typically jammed signals and some undisturbed signals from around the world on shortwave, standard am/fm and microwave and have invested an insane sum on making sure I can hear what I WANT TO HEAR AND WHEN, from wherever.

TV SUX!

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by LoneGunMan
I emphatically disagree. I switched off the boob tube over five years ago myself and feel a huge difference in my BS sensitivity meter go off the chart. TV brainwashes through not only its message and its commercials but also through the way its all presented. TV shows are what is making more of our young population not be able to think for themselves because they are fed and are not interacting or have much control as to how they are presented with the feeding of knowledge.

Not entirely sure where you are getting this, but I'd be interested in finding out. I am considered by many who know me to be a bit of a media sage, having a serious love of movies, video games, and tv pop culture.

So what? Please elaborate.

TV gave birth to the modern "Thug" the thoughtless people without empathy in mass. TV gave birth to the young girls that have become sexual at way too young of an age. They are now prostituting themselves for things like cool clothes at the mall and even better grades.

I also find this to be untrue. Because Jerry Springer put it on TV doesn't mean he invented it. There are tidal waves of human filth that reside in our country and around the world.

Has it really ever been any different?

In my mind, all we really did is to put it on display rather than tuck it in a corner like in decades past.

TV gave birth to the pubescent young people that have not been able to find a date with the opposite sex and were teetering on the edge of homosexuality. Flesh is flesh and if you make it seem mainstream and maybe even "cool" top be gay they are more easily tipped in the wrong direction. When I was teen I had a hard time venting my sexual frustration and almost gave up in the opposite sex. If it were not so taboo in the mainstream I would not have held out and may have gone in that direction.

Wow, I REALLY would love to know how you can about this decision. If anything, it might be the females that could fall in this category. I don't know guys who figure "Man, these girls just don't like me. Well, maybe I can grope a sweaty man. They're easy!"

It's not what I'd consider a "cool" thing for a guy to do, even if our generations don't hate, but rather accept, the ones who are really gay.

When was the last time you saw a sexy movie, award show, tabloid show, or tv scene where two dudes just made out? It's few and far between, but females (who aren't a very large section of a very small group - ie homosexuals) it's a different story.

So much more I have to stop now, a person could write a book on the violence and lack of "humanness" TV fosters.

TV has nearly ruined mankind IMO.

Nah, it paved the way for future technology. Humanity creates, patents, and is the main supplier of our own filthy degenerate ways.

Some tried to blame it on the jazz music. Failed
Some tried to blame it on the comic books. Failed
Some tried to blame it on Heavy Metal music and Rap. Failed
Some tried to blame it on violent video games. Failed
Some tried to blame it on the internet. Failed
And some try to blame it on TV, and that will fail as well.

It's not a neutral conduit that is to blame, it's the people alone. Always and forever.

[edit on 28-5-2009 by KrazyJethro]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   
When it all comes down to it
media has the most power, even more than government but that statement is pointless when government controls media.
We use it as a source of information, to connect with what is happening around the world in our own ways, but when that source of information is manipulate to something other than it is, that first grasp of what we see automatically tells us that its true and real which i think is one of humans biggest weaknesses. The most effective way to leading the human race backward.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join