It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan Should Consider Pre-emptive Strikes, LDP Lawmaker Says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Japan Should Consider Pre-emptive Strikes, LDP Lawmaker Says

www.bloomberg.com

By Sachiko Sakamaki and Takashi Hirokawa

May 26 (Bloomberg) -- Japan should consider developing the capability to conduct pre-emptive military strikes given North Korea’s nuclear test yesterday, a ruling party lawmaker said.

“North Korea poses a serious and realistic threat to Japan,” former defense chief Gen Nakatani said today in Tokyo at a meeting of Liberal Democratic Party officials. “We must look at active missile defense such as attacking an enemy’s territory and bases.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
This guy seems to think that Japan should consider arming itself against North Korea. While that is not a bad idea, the best course of action is not to go to war at all. If North Korea attacks Japan, they have little recourse but to retaliate, but what they should not do is become antagonistic. This is a tense situation, and one we should be keeping an eye on.

TA

www.bloomberg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I started a thread yesterday on the same subject - "Japan Panel wants *first Strike* against enemies" - but not in *Breaking News*.

There's no reason (from what I understand) that both threads can't stay and I wish you more luck with this thread than I had with mine.

I was trying to get some answers concerning Japan's *First Strike* options.

Someone shoots a *test* missile and what, you wait for it to hit to retaliate? Nawwww.

After suffering through years of North Koreas threats - why doesn't Japan have the right to defend themselves and obliterate the area of origin of the missile? (Though I do so hope this doesn't happen).

Something about the peace treaty with the USA is what it boils down to.

Ok, well... So that means Japan's going to sit there and get blown to smithereens because it doesn't want a war with USA?

Or wait until they (Japan) gets word from the USA the missile is *real* this time?

It just doesn't add up for me - though I a couple of kind members do what they could to kick the cotton out of my reasoning.

peace

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Here's a good starting point for getting your head around the situation in Japan:

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Sorry, silo13, i did a search and didn't see your article.

Anyway, i really don't see a reason why Japan shouldn't retaliate if they feel threatened, i just think we (The US) should stay out of it if they do. That's my main concern. I just don't want even more of my tax dollars going to fight someone else's war. But you're right, Japan should have a right to fight whatever war they want to, just don't ask us for help if they get into something they can't get out of.

TA

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

No no - not a problem at all - like I said - mine is posted in current events - it's better here in Breaking News.

Thank you VOx24442 - I'll check out the link.

Peace

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

As I stated in the other post.

The problem isn't that Japan wants to consider having a first strike policy...

It's that Japan wants to have a first strike policy. Not trying to be cute here. Let me explain....

Since the end of WWII Japan has pretty much relied on the US for it's protection and supplies Japan with many of it's weapons systems. Their neighbors have been happy with that arrangement.

Unfortunately many in the region still remember a Japan of another era. Japan has become a technological and economic power in the region and many may still fear another rise of Japanese imperialism.

I highly doubt it.

But many in the region may start to look over their shoulders at Japan if they move out from underneath their American Umbrella. They do have a right to defend themselves but this will become a bigger international political football.

Stay tuned.

[edit on 27-5-2009 by SLAYER69]

new topics

top topics

join