It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Real Life "Running Man"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
As you may have seen before,,,I am all for testing on criminals...known felons.

I was watching TCM the other day and "The Running Man" w/ Arnold came on.
If you are un-aware of the movie...see this link:
Running Man IMDB

Anyways...I was wondering how everybody feels with having this done in the real world.

I know that the movie is filled with trickery, and open ended promises...and I would leave that out of the real life situation..

If your still wondering what this movie is about...here's a quick sum-up.

Criminals are asked if they want to participate in a "death race" to win their freedom.
If they survive...they are free.

Here is another link to one of my other topics on criminal testing if your interested.
Testing On Criminals

Thanks!

[edit on 5/26/2009 by StretchUSAF]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Good question. The film was actually based on a Stephen King book..writing as Richard Bachman that is quite a bit different and better in my opinion, and ends with a plane flying into a skyscraper--foreshadowing of 911?

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
What did Bill Hicks once say? "Just think of how far we'd be in space travel if we didn't have to worry about getting the astronauts back?"

Just a thought....

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by amazing

Amazing...
funny how many things can turn around into 9-11. But anyway..I am all about it! I know that when these criminals...if and when they gain their freedom..they could possibly wreak havoc...
So I ask...what could we do to circumvent that?

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by StretchUSAF

It's not like they haven't made a reality show on every other possible topic.

Seriously, though, it's a bad idea. Average citizens would not support having criminals released simply because they passed some sort of obstacle course. Then you'd have the rights advocates who would somehow claim it was cruel or an infringement if they were injured in some way (although it obviously wouldn't be in the style of the novel or movie).

Reality shows make a mockery out of so much that I'd hate to see it make a mockery out of the judicial system. Not that it isn't enough of a joke as is.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
nothing I suppose it would be too dangerous. And as far as literature goes. Which one is the Tom Clancy book where the Japanese Pilot rams his Jet into the Capital Killing everyone except Jack Ryan and He becomes president in the next book because of it? Interesting little connections here! lol

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

I do agree with you there...Reality Shows are terrible..and it's funny that back in the late 90's they predicted that reality shows would make up 75% of our television by the late 2000's.

But back on topic...what if they earned a better life in jail. Like they were granted television priviledges, or special food rights...etc etc.?

I think this would be a great idea cause...
1) If would relieve some strain from the jail system being EXTREMELY overcrowded.
2) If would save the county/state money from housing criminals
3) The state/county could have a monetary gain.
4) I know that the show would get GREAT ratings.

Any other thoughts?

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   

I always thought that movie was sadistic. People enthralled while watching another human being fight for their life? Then cheering when they get chainsawed or something? No. Not something I would watch, in real life. Now the movie itself is another story. Entertaining! But it's not real human life (PS, check out Death Race if you're into that movie theme!)

Edited to respond to your previous post.

If there is no risk of injury or death, then maybe. It could be an excellent way to let prisoners burn off steam. But then again, it could cause a rivalry that will go beyond the obstacle course.

[edit on 26-5-2009 by Heatburger]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
i think testing on criminals is possibly the worst thing i have ever heard, its outstandingly unethical.

The reason why the prison is so overcrowded is because they're making so many rediculess laws now that it is impossible to go ou and live a day without breaking a law. Labour for example brought in a new law every day they've been ruling brittan. For all you know, you could end up in prison one day for a crime you didnt do or one that you didnt know you were doing

As for the reality programs, they are awful! lol, i did hear before though of the "ultimate" reality show, which was 10 people on a plane9 parashuits and are being asked questions, the person who gets the most answers wrong will be the one without the parasute :S

Its a dangerous road, you start by testing on crinimals, then it will go onto the unemployed, then people with asbos, then teenagers in general etc etc.

[edit on 26-5-2009 by Trolloks]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Heatburger

Please take no offense...but I think that with the way society is now,,,that it would be a MAJOR hit on tv. Make it Pay Per View..and it's a million dollar idea!

Here's what spurred me into this idea...
I love to watch MSNBC's "LockUp" and another show called Lockup raw (i know...I said I HATED reality shows...). Anyway, they were interviewing a rapist/murdered, and he straight up said..yeah...I killed the kids...then raped the mother, while I tied the father up and made him watch. SERIOUSLY???
A sicko like that deserves whatever comes at him..he deserves to be sawed in half while slowly be burned alive! People like that deserve NOTHING in this life...except pain and misery.

Sorry if I went a little wild there...just burns my britches.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   

No I know they would eat it up. I mean look at how many people went to public hangings! The movie is an accurate portrayal of the reaction a real live audience would have, as far as I'm concerned. And that's what scares me. How can a person be enthralled with watching another person die? That's sadistic. Same as the scenario you just described. # awful and sadistic.

To think a normal person would enjoy watching another die, no matter how bad the crimes they committed, bothers me. Yes, they deserve their punishment...but people don't need to watch them jump through hoops and outrun crazy motorcycle people.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Hey Stretch. Gotta give it to you for creativity, and well, idealism too.

But, I wouldn't vote for it. That's bananas.
Just the idea of a serial killer buying his freedom becasue he's athletically inclined and breezed through the deadly obstacle course is outrageous.

Who would be in charge, Budweiser?

C'mon.

Fu*k that, PUT EM TO WORK! Yes, as in LABOR.
Make them clean the highways, get rid of some these bums who milk the state and sit around and do nothing all day gettin paid 25 bux an hour.
Know what I mean. Ohh, and no freedom............nope. Just perks, like xtra Mac N' Cheese @ the cafeteria. YummY!

You know what I just thought of though Stretch..What if it was to be on a secluded island, in the middle of the ocean where no one lives. Okay, maybe, just maybe. I mean, even if they bought their freedom, they can't harm anyone after being freed. ??
Put cameras everywhere. ?
Sadistic entertainment at its best.

Would make a good 'mature rated reality show.'
HBO would jump all over it.

[edit on 26-5-2009 by Ben Niceknowinya]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Yeah, best leave this to Hollywood. I'm with AshleyD on this one.

Besides that, how does this have anything to do with Medical Issues and Conspiracies? Just wondering.......

-Dev

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Some of you seem to be forgetting one thing. Ben Richards (Arnold Schwarzenegger) was innocent of the charges.

Same arguments as the arguments against death penalty.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

Besides that, how does this have anything to do with Medical Issues and Conspiracies?

I suppose that he was including medical experiments on criminals as well. He did link to the human testing thread on ATS.

But you are right. What does this have to do with conspiracies? Is there something afoot?

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 06:11 AM
link   

It's a comedy idea on the surface, but I think you've pretty much explained a good reason why it can never happen...

. Anyway, they were interviewing a rapist/murdered, and he straight up said..yeah...I killed the kids...then raped the mother, while I tied the father up and made him watch. SERIOUSLY??? A sicko like that deserves whatever comes at him..he deserves to be sawed in half while slowly be burned alive! People like that deserve NOTHING in this life...except pain and misery.

Should he get a chance of freedom?

I much prefer the astronauts idea

It's an elegant solution to a lot of problems. Chosen prisoners would have something to work for, it would allow NASA to redirect costly safety features into better science. Return trips would be unnecessary and halve costs. We could be trying experimental rockets whenever with live crash test dummies. Any child rapists. cold killing lifers would make excellent astronauts. Manned satellites! We could use them to clear up the growing debris field surrounding Earth.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 06:43 AM
link   
I'm shocked that nobody has brought up the obvious on this one: Ever heard of a little document called The Bill of Rights?????

Oh yeah, they don't teach that in public schools anymore, and another little document called the "patriot" act pretty much made an end run around Articles 4-8.

Still in all, I used to think that movie was cool...

Then I turned 15.

With attitudes like this, it seems to me there are several potential Kommisars of the FEMA camps on this thread...

Seig heil!

[edit on 27/5/09 by cbianchi513]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Well..sorry I've been away...work!!

As to the question "Why is this in said topic"...honestly...I thought I put it in Crime and punishment....sorry!

As to the "Bill Of Rights" remark...I agree! But...and that's a big BUT....are there not an other laws/rights that are not followed? I KNOW for a fact that every state has crazy laws that are no longer upheld...due to their redonkuluous thought...and what about rights?? Well...is it right that there are laws that protect the "bad guy"...eg....Some guy wants to rob my house...in the middle of the night...he walks up my front walkway and breaks his ankle due to the fact that I shut my front porch light off...he CAN sue me...is that right? Is it right that celebrities get a DUI, get sentenced to XX days in jail..but get off in a few hours, while a lowly SSgt drinks...drives and is hit with a stripe loss, garnishment of wages, confinement, and a referral EPR? HECK NO...rules and laws are bent EVERY DAY!

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   

That's the way it works... rules of the road these days, sorry to say. I can relate... How's getting busted to E-5 sound while still holding the same responsibilities of the "rocker"???

MADD is on the warpath, but I digress...

As to the "stranger on the porch" part... As I was taught, that's what the 2nd Amendment is for... If they're on your porch and not welcome, then it's time to open fire.

But then again, you're right... You may get sued.

Best to post a sign: "Trespassers will be shot, Survivors will be shot again".

Best of luck living in Progressive Amerikka...

join