It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court Rules Police Can Question Suspects Without Lawyers

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

Here's something to ponder and listen to.
Always Take The 5th

Zindo

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

The guy was convicted of murder BECAUSE of the letter he was coerced into writing. The prime suspect, a guy named Moore, was also convicted as an accessory, but quite likely was the actual murderer.

Because the cops KNEW that they had a conviction with the letter, they never bothered to do the rest of the policework involved.

I do not know where you are from, but I am from here in Louisiana & I can tell you, #1 education system is non-existent (I homeschool my kids) and #2 we have one of the most corrupt LEAs in the nation - all over the state.

Does that relieve a person from personal responsibility when dealing with cops, no, but if you never even learned HOW TO LEARN and you know that the cops can & will do whatever they want to you in this state, you deal with a unfair playing field.

But the issue here is not the guilt or innocence of the defendant. The issue is this sets a VERY DANGEROUS precedent for future cases where the police overstep their legal boundaries in questioning & coercing suspects.

I, like many here in my state, KNOW that the police were the ones who were wrong in this situation. And the SCOTUS has now said that it is now OK for the LEAs to be wrong.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

I agree with you on the problems of your LEO population. I've been to New Orleans and Lake Charles and way up north in Shreveport many times. I'm half Cajun after all. The problem here is that legal precedent had already been adjudicated and that was what screwed this guy. Other suspects had made the same mistakes in other states and were found to not have their rights violated. If your taking part in a holdup that includes a murder, it doesn't matter if you pulled the trigger or not, your still guilty and from what I've been able to read about this particular case, all involved where guilty. How the state cleans up the LEO problem of if they ever do, it is unfortunate that they try this tactic on the not very smart!
Zindo

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I know this thread has been quiet for a while but i would like to add something.

Cop, Police, Pigs, whatever you want to call us are not out to hurt anyone who is innocent, we arent out there looking to screw with people. And it just sickens me to see good upstandign people defending murderers.

Of course we use tricks and sneeky tactics to get confessions, we have to, no one in their right mind is gonna say ya, i did it.

Now i will admit there are some cops who are corrupt, and dirty, and whom i hate being associated. I am a young cop and feel like i am the last of a dying breed of good, honest cops. Example, every person i have arrested has come without a fight, and has told me in one way or another that even though i am taking them to jail, i am still the coolest cop ever. I do take the time to listen, and i do give people the respect they deserve.

So just remember when you read stories of cops killing people, or getting confessions in a sneeky way, or even bending the rules, we are not out there for ourselves; we are out there to try and keep people safe. We are human, we # up sometimes.

When you read stories when 3 or 4 cops shoot a guy 12 times, each cop only fired 3 or 4 times, and they weren't gonna stand there with a gun pointed at them and draw straws to see who was gonna fire 1st, you all do at once.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join