It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronauts Spot Mysterious Ice Circles in World's Deepest Lake

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Fungi or bacteria ring. You heard it here first.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

Yep, the Aral sea has disappeared almost but its due to irrigation i.e man made. Can read about it here: www.ecogeek.org...

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Space images of lake Baikal revealed dark circles with 5-7 km in diameter, and scientists fail to find an explanation. These circles are not new to scientists, but it is hard to notice them from the ground due to their enormous size. Circular structures were first detected in 1999 and appeared in 2003, 2005, 2008 and 2009. Mechanisms of such an interesting event remain obscure, however, scientists tend to explain giant circles’ formation with natural gas emissions from Baikal’s bottom sediments.

link

More on the ice circles....

News from Russia

[edit on 27-5-2009 by ddacunha]

Ice one! Walker discovers 10ft-wide, spinning frozen arctic circle in British waters for the first time

link< br />
[edit on 27-5-2009 by ddacunha]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by savageheart
Looks as though something landed and made the ice crack to me..

Any one else feel the same way?

Absolutely!

I was just looking to see if someone else thought the same.

Looks like something has landed and cracked the ice. You said it.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 03:05 AM
link   
i think an ambitious russian ice fisherman built the world's largest ice drill and went to town. I would love to see what he caught. Its not a trout thats for sure. But in all seriousness that is what happens on the great lakes after a hole is made in ice then the water underneath freezes back in place. My question is what causes cracks and the refreezing circle at the same time. Still probably natural but i would like to know the name of such a unique phenomenon.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by guidanceofthe third kind

Once again wind would cause the cracks in the ice.

2nd

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   

reply to post by Now_Then

NOBODY MOVE! I LOST MY CONTACT LENS!!!

Sorry..........

Funny you should say that... I was just thinking... perhaps we've stumbled on a new (natural) method of producing massive lenses and mirrors for future telescopes?

IRM

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Looks as though something landed and made the ice crack to me..

Any one else feel the same way?

I was really trying to think of something natural happening, but your comment really makes sense haha.

One reason is because BOTH circles are the same size...

There must be another explanation, but your comment does make sense

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 04:30 AM
link   
These Russians love their circles!

Anyone remember those very deep perfectly circle holes drilled into the ground in the middle of some dense forest?

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Has anyone noticed the blue circle a little to the left of the lower ice circle. What is that supposed to be?

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 04:58 AM
link   
just now i checked in wikipedia about lake baikal.

the wikipedia also has that picture. IMHO, I'm sure the picture in wikipedia is not uploaded today.
Does that mean someone has spotted the circle long long before this astronaut?

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   
From wikipedia:

Source

earthobservatory.nasa.gov...
Date

20 April 2009(2009-04-20)
Author

Image provided by the ISS Crew Earth Observations experiment and Image Science & Analysis Laboratory, Johnson Space Center.

So the image was uploaded 205h of April, so I'd say that news report is just a month late.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 07:29 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/275aa70dec6c.jpg[/atsimg]

It is generally accept that these 'circles' are formed by eddies in the water that spin a sizable piece of ice in a circular motion. As a result of this rotation, other pieces of ice and flotsam wear relatively evenly at the edges of the ice until it slowly forms into a circle. Ice circles have been seen with diameters of over 500 meters.

Cheers!

P.S. The above pic was emailed to me by a friend.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Energy vorticies from the Earth? Similar to a theory of such energies creating crop circles, although intelligent in design and purpose - and I fail to see that here (A closer look?).

The supposed observations of ufo's extracting water from this planet is not a new "concept", maybe something relativley large landed for something.

Edit: Oh, just read the post above made by Mike. Yea, sounds plausible, a smaller vortex of water. The Baikal lake goes very deep, maybe there's a lot of action going on the deeper levels that shows it's presence on the surface.

[edit on 27-5-2009 by Clear]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by mikesingh

Great pics! I have never seen these formations before. However, all of those ice circles appear in pools where the water is not completely frozen. What has me stumped is the circles in the NASA pics appear to be in solid ice. They don't look like floating ice discs. The symmetry of the circle with the crack in dead center is interesting. It is a giant letter Theta. Nature doesn't like symmetry typically.

I am no expert so, this one will be fun to watch.

[edit on 27-5-2009 by jibeho]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
This size of the circle is interesting too. If you look at the photo of the town of Slyudyanka, it demonstrates the circle is bigger than the town. The town is probably a bout a 1.2 miles wide and the circle is as big as that. That is huge.

Most of the ice circles shown in other photos are on average 10 ft wide. And this is not a frozen spinning circle, this is a melted ring in the ice.

Comparing this to spinning ice circles in rivers is not a good comparison. Those rivers are much much more shallow than this lake and we do not have a spinning disc here. I think it is either something warm bubbling up from below, or something warm from above.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Interesting Photos!
I'd highly recomend getting the recent issue of Fortean times UK(any readers here?)- they have a page spread on the phenomenon of Ice circles, as they appeared quite frequently over the past couple of years. Even mainstream Tabloids reported on them, such as the Daily mail, claiming they;
"occur at bends in the river clearly not in this case) where the accelerating water creates a force called ‘rotational shear’, which breaks off a chunk of ice and twists it around. As the disc rotates, it grinds against surrounding ice - smoothing into a perfect circle.”

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Missing Blue Sky
Most of the ice circles shown in other photos are on average 10 ft wide. And this is not a frozen spinning circle, this is a melted ring in the ice.

Ok, here are some big circles on the Charles river. Ice circles could also form by warmer weather as the the river ice breaks up and re-forms into circles due to the reasons mentioned in my previous post..

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7e538dff78ee.jpg[/atsimg]
Image: Ice Circles in Campotosto, Italy by aquilano76

Cheers!

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by MajesticJax
What about a directed energy weapon?

Why would someone WANT to melt ice? Some type of weather mod?

I like where this is going......!

Ex

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Here is a negative fomr the orginal post.........
seems to have curved edges and broke into the ice, IMO!

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join