It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronauts Spot Mysterious Ice Circles in World's Deepest Lake

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by reject

The most reasonable explanation for the cracks in the ice would be winds as I generally study lake erie's ice coverage every winter cracks in the ice are always formed by high winds pushing all the ice in one direction causing stress fractures...

[edit on 26-5-2009 by iamjesusphish]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Circles are extremely common shapes in nature. We shouldn't be weirded out by seeing them, no matter how big they are.

Also, all the cool aliens fly triangular craft nowadays.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
reply to post by harrytuttle

Isn't Lake Baikal the one that has shrunk so dramatically in size or is that the Aral sea?

I just googled it and it is the Aral sea that has lost 90%.

Wow, never realized it was so screwed up there. That's scary. Thanks for pointing it out. Boy did mankind really mess that area up. Way to go there........

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
It would be interesting to have a close up of the second circle and compare the two, side by side!!

Judging from the pic where you can see both, they do seem very similair!! On the one side, the melted circle is very narrow, and the other it's very wide!

Exact diameters of inner and outer rings of both would be great to have...anyone that could measure them?

[edit on 5/26/2009 by corvin77]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by reject

harry that was my first thought, then i looked at the 2nd link pic and saw a blue circle to the left side of the image about the same diameter, might be the pointer for the camera but i didn't see it in the first link .the ring up close looks like you are looking at bare ice bounded in the center with snow and bound by snow outside of the ring. being for michigan i think it could be a big snowmobile track and the breaking ice is possible by the thinning from man and machine and the immense weight. it is a pile of snow in the middle which could be caused by undertoes which water flows upward in the middle and go backdown on the outside of the undertoe, and cold enough water would keep the center cold not allowing melting. then the rest of the cracking could be from expansion and contraction.if it was a meteor or asteroid i would think there would be water showing for heat. tornado or wirlwind touch down point? it is a cool pic indeed.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by corvin77
Exact diameters of inner and outer rings of both would be great to have...anyone that could measure them?

diameter is about 4.4km
www.satnews.com...

outer diameter is about 7km
can't find where I read it though
looknig

[edit on 26-5-2009 by ModernAcademia]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluewaterservant
reply to post by reject

harry that was my first thought, then i looked at the 2nd link pic and saw a blue circle to the left side of the image about the same diameter, might be the pointer for the camera but i didn't see it in the first link .the ring up close looks like you are looking at bare ice bounded in the center with snow and bound by snow outside of the ring. being for michigan i think it could be a big snowmobile track and the breaking ice is possible by the thinning from man and machine and the immense weight. it is a pile of snow in the middle which could be caused by undertoes which water flows upward in the middle and go backdown on the outside of the undertoe, and cold enough water would keep the center cold not allowing melting of the snow above as fast. then the rest of the cracking could be from expansion and contraction.if it was a meteor or asteroid i would think there would be more water showing form heat. tornado or wirlwind touch down point? it is a cool pic indeed.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
OK, first off, gas bubbles are naturally spherical, due to surface tension of water molecules.

Second, mass eruptions of CO2 have been documented in other, deep lakes.

Gas collects near the bottom because of thermoclines that prevent colder water from mixing with warmer water near the surface.

A siesmic disturbance, or sometimes rock falls can disturb the water enough to "stir" the water layers, releasing the gas to rise in massive volumes to the surface.

Hundreds of bison died in Yellowstone because of something like this. An African lake wiped out an entire sleeping village when the heavier gas 'rolled' from the surface into the interior.

If the gas collected at the lower levels, was somehow periodically disturbed, adn rose to the surface, it could conceivably result in both the shape and coloration observed from 250 miles up.

Or maybe it was Utah.

jw

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
reply to post by harrytuttle

Isn't Lake Baikal the one that has shrunk so dramatically in size or is that the Aral sea?

I just googled it and it is the Aral sea that has lost 90%.

Well blow me down it is a huge drain. No all kidding aside I think it is something enternal that caused this not something external like a space ship because look at the way the ice cracked, not in a shattering pattern from the circle out like you would expect to find if something landed on it and cracked it. Interestiong that both circles do look like the same size. I think someone should dive in and see what is going on IMO...

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Originally posted by corvin77

diameter is about 4.4km
www.satnews.com...

outer diameter is about 7km
can't find where I read it though
looknig

I'll just repost these two pics I put on page 2, it's all rough but good to get an idea... The ruler line I drew in google earth is 13,640 meters (13.64mk)

So 6 or 7 km looks about right... I would say 6 personally

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/735e8b424094.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b866cc0b443a.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 26/5/2009 by Now_Then]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Hum about 3.7 miles in diameter? What could cause that large of a perfect circle. Are suspected space craft even that large? I am not an alien buff so I am not sure but I wish National Geographic would go take a look at this.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
This is generally caused by subterranean swamp gas warming water as it rises to the surface, it then causes a giant ring.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Melissa101

Here is a comparison of the 2 disks (left is the one at the south western tip of the lake, right is the other one like 2/3rd's the way up the lake) taken from the same image and copy and pasted next to each other for size comparison.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/74e932e9171d.png[/atsimg]

edit: I know the red lines don't help at all - it;s late.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by contemplator

That makes since, my only question is how both could be the same size? Maybe they are not but just look like it in the photos. Even the one side by side looks the same size to me. Could just be a kwinky dink that they are the same but I find it odd if there is a natural explination.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Melissa101
my only question is how both could be the same size? Maybe they are not but just look like it in the photos. Even the one side by side looks the same size to me.

Here is another cut/paste zoom from the same image...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6bed86a7229e.png[/atsimg]

Looking at the gridlines (not in that pic) I estimate the disk on the right is 1/9th larger than the one on the left (24 grid lines vs 21)

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by jdub297

Or maybe it was Utah.

jw
\

ummmmm. What?

I live in Utah and if I can get a new way to disparage, well............

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
According to the latest Wiki, Baikal maximum width is 49 miles or 79km. Figure each tapered end is about half that (though the south end is narrower, and the original photo is clearly of the north end due to no traces of Irkutsk), and the giant circular craft (with heat emitting from its rim only), if applicable, could fit a small to mid-size city inside! Amazing to say the least, if true.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Lets see
::looks at the list::
1. large mother ship buried under the ice and its thawing.
2. CERNS mini-black hole experiments gone crazy.
3. Possible nutrino bomb test.
4. dormant/ active volcano vents
5. Something really big landed.
6. oil spill
7. swamp gas

Bet people said the same thing about those line patterns in peru.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
What i find the most intriguing is that the ring is of melted ice but the center is still as solid as the rest of the lake, and that the melting ring hasnt broken the surface, apart from the cracks, but given that the cracks are through the ring and none appear to follow the shape of the ring, the cracks are therefore in my mind lain down well after the melting (or should we say thinning) of the ring.

Youd expect if their was ice thinning on that scale in a ring pattern any currants or ice movement would crack the thinner ring ice first... which it hasnt.

Also I dont buy the thermal thing since where is there an example of a volcanic vent popping its seal in a perfect circle and leaving a solid central core. Youd expect it if it was something of that nature to have the center either as thin or at least alot thinner than the exterior ice of the lake. if you get what I mean.

Anyone else first think about the beginning of the War of the Worlds remake
(which is kinda wrong since the Tarmack in that scene is how id expect a ring of ice like that to crack, which it hasnt).

Its them damn Middle Earthers... **Shakes his fists at the troglodytes attempts to take over our side of the crust!** Initiate operation Bath Plug.

[edit on 27-5-2009 by BigfootNZ]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
the ring will be long gone, and whatever was down there creating it has been salvaged and taken to an undisclosed location.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join