It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronauts Spot Mysterious Ice Circles in World's Deepest Lake

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

NOBODY MOVE! I LOST MY CONTACT LENS!!!

Sorry..........

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by genius/idoit

Apparently the ice is usually thick enough for people and snowmobiles to safely travel on, as it is a popular tourist destination.

Interesting formations, these. Can't think what they could be, as any geological activity would likely melt a contigious hole, rather than a ring...

Underwater UFO laying dormant, now becoming active in time for 2012?

You saw it here first......

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilBat

Guys you all need to look at EvilBat's two image links closer

these aren't holes as such
that round piece of ice in the middle seems to be of equal length to the rest of the ice.

Seems as if only the contours of the circle has melted away
look at the high def picture from bird's eye view as well
it's just the contours that have melted not the entire circle

this means it's not like a drainage effect like that of a bathub or something from past volcanoes

this is something else.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Here is some more information.

China was to come to terms with the fact that it was getting only half of the Eastern-Siberia oil.

Even the open information demonstrates how the route of oil pipeline was tossed from southern to northern side of Baikal and by the end fled 400 km to the north, to the territory of permafrost and mountain chains that does nor appear a suitable place for the construction of the pipeline. It is most likely that the mass media never got all the information, and a serious undercover battle at the highest levels was led against the project as such, which is not surprising.

The oil pipeline was relocated to the north of the lake. At first beyond the watershed area and later after the designer did a little more thinking, it was moved 400 km to the north because the mountain chain immediately to the north of the lake is an area of catastrophic earthquakes and steep hills.

www.toz.khv.ru...

It's possible that's it has something to do with oil perhaps?

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I wonder if it could be some sort of vacuum effect from underneath?

Curious....

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
as any geological activity would likely melt a contigious hole, rather than a ring...

Well remember the lake is particularly deep and the majority of the water is cold... Just say there is a volcanic vent way down there pumping out de-oxygenated water.... Have you ever tried to make clear icecubes in your freezer? The trick is to get the water out from a kettle that has boiled and left to go cold.

So as the rising plume approaches the surface it is almost down to the temp of the surrounding water, it's just 'de-oxygenated' or maybe 'de-aerated' or 'de-gassed' would be better words giving clear ice which looks dark from above.

That's just my theory, either that of the aliens (AKA blokes from down the pub with too much time) are bored with crop circles, and they are venturing into ice formations!

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Map

This is an interesting find. If you look at the southern ring, you can see that the ice is thinner over the part of the lake that is deeper. At least from the map I posted, but I want to find a more detailed map of the lake bottom. Anyone?

Also, WTF is THIS. Could it have something to do with the circles. I am not inclined to think so, but interesting anyway.

[edit on 26-5-2009 by WSPfan]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   

I see what you're saying, but this ice is apparently melted, not just a ring of clear ice, plus there is extenive ice break up surrounding these rings indicating a weakening of the ice which would corrolate with the supposed melting.

I'd be very interested to hear a Scientists take on this, but I cannot seem to find any in searches.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
After thinking about it for a bit my first thought was
current moving like a whirlpool of warm water

then I was thinking maybe some how the fish or seals did it swimming in circles playing.

But since nasa says its unknown how it happens, I'm not going to out smart them. I'm not a rocket scientist.

While the origin of the circles is unknown, the peculiar pattern suggests convection (upwelling) in the lake’s water column.

But at least they have it documented from other flights

although not nearly as distinct—have been documented in the same central area of the lake in April 1994 (during the STS-59 Shuttle mission) and in 1985 (during the STS-51B Shuttle mission).

quotes from link I posted before

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Also, we've all read about the USO phenomena. And hiding at the bottom of the world's deepest lake we DO have USO's.

Well, what would happen if they needed to leave before Spring? They would have to MELT THE ICE. Hence, the ROUND opening being made.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   

I completely understand what you are trying to convey here, however, the outside of the circle would look "rolled" if it were to be as such?

It still looks to me as though there was either an impact, not so much as with force, or possibly an inner "vacuum." Although, the back side seems to have more breaking away than an all around breaking away such as would happen with a baseball thrown through a window.

I need another beer.......

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
seeing as how those circle are MILES across, its not a energy beam weapon or a uso.

And the circles have been reported in the past, long before any secret us weapons.

Its an upwelling of warmer water or a release of gas from the bottom.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by punkinworks09

But wouldn't an "upwelling" create a rolled effect around the outer edge?

Just as a lava flow does?

[edit on 26-5-2009 by savageheart]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
it's that huge flying saucer from the end of the X-Files Movie coming out of the ice.

no wait it's megatron.

-

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
From what I can guess, the ring is around 3+ miles in diameter. The northern most is about the same, but has a fainter outer ring.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilBat
then I was thinking maybe some how the fish or seals did it swimming in circles playing.

But since nasa says its unknown how it happens, I'm not going to out smart them. I'm not a rocket scientist.

Well to give the circles a bit of scale I did this screen grab from google earth quickly (and I did zoom in all the way and look around, the ring does not show up in GE)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/735e8b424094.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b866cc0b443a.jpg[/atsimg]

So as you can see the line I drew from coast to coast at almost due south is 13,640 meters - so I'm going to guess at the diameter of the ring is maybe 4 km? 5 km?? I think that may be rather too large for seals playing, don't know much about the fish tho.

edit: the media centre cut the far right of the screen grab off... but it still shows enough, can't be bothered fixing it

[edit on 26/5/2009 by Now_Then]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Didn't the soviets have a habit of dumping things they didn't want anymore in deep lakes and oceans? So, if they dumped on old nuclear reactor in the deepest lake they could find ...

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by WSPfan

Great find!!! Turns out that the Baikal Neutrino Experiment happened right there! Notice the inset on this image, the building was on shore, the "detector" was about 6 kilometers off shore to the south - almost exactly where the "ice ring" is located... Check it out:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3542f1a36300.gif[/atsimg]

Here's the Baikal Experiment website.

You may be one to something here...*off to investigate*

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

but are there two of them?the neutrino things?also something would have had to have come down on the ice with alot of force

[edit on 26-5-2009 by genius/idoit]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by genius/idoit

Maybe 2 stations 500 km apart give a good comparison
I've not read much on that neutrino thing though

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join