It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State recruits an army of snoopers with police-style powers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   

State recruits an army of snoopers with police-style powers

www.dailymail.co.uk

Under a Home Office-run scheme, people such as park wardens, dog wardens, car park attendants and shopping centre guards receive the powers if they undergo training, and pay a small fee to their local police force.

Their powers include issuing £60 fines for truancy and dropping litter, and being able to demand a person's name and address on the street.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
The UK is turning into East Germany!

Read the article for the full list, but their powers include

Issue penalty fines for a wide range of offences including disorder; truancy; cycling on the pavement; dog fouling; graffiti; littering

The worrying one for me is

Stop vehicles for roadside tests, so a shopping centre guard can stop me in my car to carry out roadside tests!

I don't think this will work in practice, what are they going to do if you just ignore them or tell them go away?

I also wonder about the safety of women and children from these 'approved people' it's seems open for abuse.

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
'Bloody hell, give them a uniform and they think they're Hitler!'
Young Ones jokes aside, this is pretty crazy.
But I think you're right, in practice it could never work. If I were ever stopped by a car park attendant with delusions of grandeur, it would be 'yeah whatever mate, go find someone who can actually do something. If you really care about it that much.'

Because they won't be able to do much at all if you ignore them, name and address? No ta!

Yet another hair-brained scheme from the frumpy Stalin aka Jacqui Smith.

Wierdly it says 'power to seize alcohol from under 18s and tobacco from under 16s' but now it's illegal for anyone under 18 to smoke. So has this been in the pipeline for a while (ie since before 2007)?

Phil Booth, of the NO2ID privacy campaign, said: 'This sharp increase in Jacqui Smith's Irregulars makes you wonder what her policing ambitions are.'

I dread to think!

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I would like to see them try with a group of chavs with knives.
There are many no go areas in the UK for the police, how long before one is stabbed or shot.

But really what are they going to do if you give them a false name and address

"My name is Gordon Brown and I live at 10 Downing Street London, I'm up here visiting friends"

Obvious lie (G Brown probably doesn't have any friends)

Or is this where the compulsory ID card comes in, but even then.

"I've lost it"
"The dog ate it"
"The washing machine destroyed it"
"I'm waiting for a new one to be issued"

The worst they can do is call the police, but there aren't any police available, that's why they need this scheme.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by lightchild

There are many no go areas in the UK for the police, how long before one is stabbed or shot.

Give it a day. Tops.

I must say though, the next round of elections are going to be veeery intersting indeed. That is of course, if Jacqui Stalin hasn't enslaved the country by then. Or worse, turned everyone into backstabbing narks in uniform...

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
UK . . . WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU GUYS?

lol Geez

why does no one do or say anything over there?

Is there even any talks of revolution?

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by xxpigxx

You said it!

It's because everyone's too damn apathetic! This is a true nation of wimps and cowards, and I see it every day! They're all too balls deep in their 'Britain's Got Talent' and 'Big Brother', dumbing them down to the level of algae, while the Government runs amok! They're just tools to distract (which isn't hard) the people from what really matters.
*Robot voice* 'It's for the greater good...'

You may yell 'Revolution! Revolution!' I'm yelling 'Evolution! Evolution!' at a lot of the people in the country.

I'm going to re-read V for Vendetta now, to bolster my rage...

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I dont think the UK has ever had a revolt have they? I mean they took away your guns you arent really able to now even if you wanted to. Thats kinda the last straw once a government takes your guns youre pretty much screwed you got no leverage.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
We had a civil war

English Civil War

We have never really had any guns, apart from farmers, bank robbers and drug dealers.

What do we need guns for?
The police don't have guns normally and our army are the other side of the world spreading democracy.
Talking of the army, they have an allegiance to the Queen and not the government.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Well, us brits have had a few revolutions/uprisings in our time but not for a while. The most notable of course was the English civil war in the 1600's which killed more Britons than died in either WWI or WWII and put Cromwell into power.

We've also had the Tolpuddle martyrs uprising in the early 1800's which led to the growth of trade unions.

There have also been numerous riots in more modern times including race riots from as early as 1919 in Liverpool through to much more recent times in Toxteth and Brixton in 1981, and Oldham and Bradford in 2001.

And of course we can't forget the poll tax riots of 1990 which to all intents and purposes ousted Margeret Thatcher and the Conservative government and paved the way for the Labour Government we have now.

I think there is once again a pot simmering under pressure here in the UK and the temperature is rising. More and more people I talk to are becoming dissalusioned and absolutely fed up to the back teeth with the constant nibbling away of our freedoms and the overwhelmingly contemptuous way we are being treated by TPTB. Even my mum feels something is brewing and she's 72 . And its not tea.

But, are we all falling right into their hands?

(I see lightchild beat me to it about the Civil War
)

Cheers - Chasyb

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by purehughness
'Bloody hell, give them a uniform and they think they're Hitler!'
Young Ones jokes aside, this is pretty crazy.
But I think you're right, in practice it could never work. If I were ever stopped by a car park attendant with delusions of grandeur, it would be 'yeah whatever mate, go find someone who can actually do something. If you really care about it that much.'

Because they won't be able to do much at all if you ignore them, name and address? No ta!

I'm sure they will have a badge, ask for your ID, etc. If you ignore them they'd probably just call the police to handle it...my guess. This is seriously like V for Vendetta, you guys need to get on the ball.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I had never heard of V for Vendetta until today.
I just looked it up on Wikipedia.

The police aren't a problem, there are so few of them, by the time they arrive you will have escaped.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by lightchild

The police aren't a problem, there are so few of them, by the time they arrive you will have escaped.

now you will be escaping from him AND the police...

My thoughts are that "they" (who made this crap of a decision) are expecting reactions as you described... just so that the police can now chase and perhaps taze your escaping behind...

I hope I'm wrong though...

Peace

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I don't live in the United Kingdom but I have a proud English last name. Well until George Harrison bought the castle at a tax sale. The regatta is still going strong though. I have a wee bit of Irish in my too, switch out the first e for an a and you got it.

I have always tried to keep a stiff upper lip, carry on and tally ho and so on and so forth...do I need to come back to the ancestoral homeland or what?

The UK is starting to sound more and more like a police state every day. We here in America aren't too far behind, but too close for me to take my eye off the ball over here...would you guys please get it together over there...I am good at multi-tasking but not that good.

Now the thing that has me concerned here is that most of the UK is under video surveillance.

Let me tell you about video surveillance. Here in the United States we have a good number of toll roads, that have express lanes for collecting tolls electronically from vehicle mounted transponders that you preload electronically too with funds in to a special account that is automatically debited as you race by the toll boothes at 55 miles per hour.

They don't work so well when it rains though, and can't always connect then from the electronic sensors on the booths to the electronic transponder in your car.

Every car though that goes by has a picture of it's rear end and license plate snapped and if your transponder is malfunctioning, out of credit, or you don't have one you get a ticket in the mail that levies a fine about 100 times more expensive than the actual toll.

Recently I got one of those tickets from a rainy day pass through where the sensors could not read my transponder.

Six months later!

With facial recognition software, high speed computers that can eventually match your face to your official goverment record...

You can drive away, walk away, skip away, run away, or crawl away...

But look for that official envelope to show up in the mail one day, or that official knock on the door one day, saying Mr. Smithe, Mrs. Jones 7 months ago on the 3rd of October you were asked by one of our officers to do this...and you failed to comply...I am going to need you to now...

I have to tell you the weather is a lot nicer here in Miami and I really, really don't want to have to suffer through the London fog...do you guys even have a nude beach?

Please get your act together and soon!

[edit on 26/5/09 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by lightchild

Oh man, i'm sorry i don't mean to offend, but what the heck is wrong with you guys over there

Don't you think it's about time you stuck up for yourselves and put an end to that insanity over there ? If not for yourselves then do it for us, every time they do something over there our government tries to do the same here
It's like they use your country as some kind of role model, it's infuriating

Seriously your country sounds just like V for Vendetta ! You have to watch that movie

Your army should have an allegiance to the country and the people.

This part really gets me, one of their powers is that they can issue penalty fines for wasting police time

Doesn't it stand to reason that if you're wasting police time that the police would already be there, and able to issue their own penalty fines

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
This is bad idea #2387.

Your police have guns there so take their's. I can see this going real bad, power over takes alot of people, abuse will run amuck like here in "whats left of America.com"

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
The last thing you want is a moronic security guard with any law enforcement power.

Most of them are want to be cops anyway and most could never pass a psychological screening test for the cops because they are morons.

The courts in the UK must also be screwed up if they would ever believe the testimony of a security guard that is a want to be cop.

in the US the lawyers would laugh most of the morons of the stand.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   
You Americans, can you really say, do something???

What about us? Its so ironic. We dont do a damned thing either.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I mentioned in an earlier post about the police not responding, this was in the national news today. This story took place near where I live.

Seni or judge blames slow police response times for Britain's 'vigilante culture'

The only time we see police is if there is a serious road traffic accident and they have closed the road.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Thank you for your long reply.

In order of importance.

1. We do have some nudist beaches.
British Naturism
Beaches

2. The weather
We don't get that much fog only at airports!
But our weather changes a lot and quickly.
On Sunday I got slightly sun burnt 77F and the next day I had the heating on. Today's top temp was 50F.

3. Road cameras
We have lots of cameras in the UK, but the worst have to be the road cameras.

Britain the speed camera capital of Europe

There is a newer type of camera system which can read number (licence) plates, this is used with the specs system. The average speed of your vehicle is measured of a set distance. If your average speed is more than the speed limit then you get an automatic fine in the post. If you are caught speeding more than four times in three years your driving licence is suspended for some time.

Speed Check Service

Also there are vans with speed cameras in used by civilians, they move around the area druing day so you never know when you may see one.
But of course they aren't speed cameras they are safety cameras saving peoples lives.

UK Speed Trap Guide

Also this system which reads number plates and the police can check against a database of insured and taxed vehicles.

Who watching you

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join