It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California high court upholds gay marriage ban

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by drwizardphd

I am not saying you cant love whoever you want. I am just saying let marriage keep the tradition of 1 man 1 woman and you guys make up your own thing. Just call it something else.

If you go down this road, I guarantee in 20 years or less you will have a guy marrying his horse, in 5 years you will have polygamy. Is that really what you want? Do you want marriage to be a total abomination where just the mear sound of it makes you want to vomit?

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by justsomeboreddude

Absolutely none, aside from the fact that some people are scared of the idea of a gay marriage. But that's a psychological issue, not a legal one. If a civil union could give a homosexual couple every right and protection of a heterosexual couple, in every corner of every state in this country, I would have no problem with it. Give them the document that says they are just as married as a heterosexual couple, but changed the name to not "degrade the sacred institution" and that would be fine by me.

[edit on 26-5-2009 by Heatburger]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Heatburger

Great.. I totally think that is reasonable. Then everyone is happy. You get what you want and those who think marriage is a sacred thing between God, a man, and a woman get what they want. I totally support that idea.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by justsomeboreddude

Unfortunately not enough people do. And many homosexuals suffer for it needlessly. They can live out the emotional part of their relationship no problem, but when it comes to legal terms, ownership of property, etc, they are left out in the cold because they are "different"

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Heatburger

Well I do think that sucks. I beleive you should have the same legal rights as a married couple. Really, I think it would pass way easier if they just tried to call it something other than gay marriage. Most people arent against homosexuals, but they are against opening marriage to unlimited configurations and for dragging what many see as a religious institution down a path it was not designed for originally.

[edit on 5/26/2009 by justsomeboreddude]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by xxpigxx

Times change. I know that's not a "good" argument, but it's completely true. Who has the right to deny another lifestyle of their rights because it's not the norm?

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I find it interesting that when this issue was a really hot in California, the whole controversy with the Miss California, anti-gay comments emerged.

It smells of a sneaky psy-op as a very good-looking beauty queen opposes this. Hey if she does it, than everyone else should too!

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Wherestheproof

I'm glad someone said this, I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking this.

You have your people on both sides of the fence because it's what they truly believe is right, but you also have countless people that are able to be swayed by the comments of the news
media, a politician, or even a beauty queen...

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
After reading the first 3 pages of posts, I am presenting this as protest and not returning to this thread.

I will not abide being insulted and called 'stupid', 'uneducated', 'ignorant', 'bigot', etc., for what I believe and how I vote, by foreigners. I will not be so arrogant as to insult you about how you do things, in your country, and, frankly don't care.

I welcome your opinion, minus the insults. Just because you have the 'right' to name call, doesn't make it right.

So long and good luck to the OP, for a successful thread.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by justsomeboreddude
reply to post by drwizardphd

I am not saying you cant love whoever you want. I am just saying let marriage keep the tradition of 1 man 1 woman and you guys make up your own thing. Just call it something else.

If you go down this road, I guarantee in 20 years or less you will have a guy marrying his horse, in 5 years you will have polygamy. Is that really what you want? Do you want marriage to be a total abomination where just the mear sound of it makes you want to vomit?

Abomination... well this is certainly going to the extreme, and please tell me what is so sacred about marriage. Today its a farce (and yes I know I said earlier if someone wants to do it, then so be it, but realistically Marriage today is quite simply a joke).

Does anyone know the history behing this ceremony?

"many experts suspect that group weddings were the first form of union, with a loyalty to the tribe being more important than the individual in times of hardship"

Lets look at the classification of this as well:

Marriage is a social, religious, spiritual or legal union of individuals that creates kinship.

Lets also keep in mind that the Church also considers this a "contract".

Did you know the term Bride actually means "cook". (just thought I would chuck that in
)

Lets have another look at this marriage thing. You also stated that "will have a guy marrying his horse", well in countries across the world is it common to marry an animal to either bring luck or rid them of something evil among other things.

So why the kafuffle with the wording, history shows what is today was very different yesterday.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I am not gay. Gay people do not offend me based on their being gay. I wish all people, regardless of gender could be "married" and have the same benefits and rights as any other couple. I would be proud to walk my gay daughter down the aisle of a church, or into the county courthouse to "give her away", heh. like I have anything to do with it. lol, and watch my daughter be happily joined, married, sign a form to show she is half of a couple. My only wish for her is that she is happy. And I take it a step further, if my children or grandchildren want to be married to more than one person and are happy with it, and all involved are happy with it, I would like that to be an option for them as well.

However, the majority, no matter how small it is, voted in California and their vote was upheld and all was according to that state's constitution. As much as I don't like it, it is what it is. So the disgruntled can mount a new campaign to legally overturn this event with another vote later on. Change takes time and I think society is changing quite quickly. Just don't get ugly, okay? Don't resort to hateful tactics used by your opposition. Meanwhile, take advantage of current laws. Sign powers of attorney documents. Add a name to a mortgage. Get a specific document signed that says your partner is allowed to be with you in the hospital, can make decisions for you if you become unable to respond, write a will, hell, get a trust set up. Create binding contracts. Okay? Use what your system has given you and keep up your good fight to eventually adjust the system.

Hell if I want to leave all my worldly possesions to my dog, I CAN do that using legal documents. You can do that for people, too! And, more and more, same gender couples are able to provide medical insurance, too, to their "partners". Hell, in the 60's teachers were able to attach their same gender partner to their health insurance policies in Ohio. Sheesh! And Ohio was quite a conservative state then.

Keep working at it gay and whoever else, folks. It will come to you. Remember, civil rights were not allowed for black people for very many years in the U.S., but it happened. Change does come slowly. Too slowly, I agree. But it does come. Overnight changes are not the norm. You've got to win the hearts of others. Yeah, it's a fact of life. Not fair, eh? I agree. But it is what it is. We really are making headway here in the U.S.

Meanwhile, once gay people do get their proper recognition, I hope you will support me in my desire to be able to have two or more wives.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by kyred
Meanwhile, once gay people do get their proper recognition, I hope you will support me in my desire to be able to have two or more wives.

heheh I thought one would be enough!

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Good grief. I am so tierd of hearing about this. Just let the gays get married, they are not going to shut up till they get to play house like real couples. We might as well give in and be done with it. They are living as married anyway they might as well get the fringe benefits. Then go ahead and legalize any form of marriage that one feels he/she/it has a right to. Then while we are at it lets legalize serial killing, hey they could argue that they were born to kill. Or lets legalize stealing some could say they were born to be theifs. Or what about beatiality some could say they were born to love their dog. Why not. As far as I am concerned California just passed another few months of holding off what is going to happen anyway.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Seeker

Did you know the term Bride actually means "cook".

And Spinster means "spinner of yarn"

And Wife means "weaver of yarn"

Or so - I read it some where years ago - so I can't verify it.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Kudos to the California judges!

Respecting the will of the people is always a welcome sign. This vote is so telling because it doesn't get more liberal than California, its a message to the gay movement a message that they should readdress the way that they are trying to get their message accross.

Not everyone is ready for gay marriages and that just the truth, they should not give up their cause of course but they should rethink how they get their message accross instead of trying to push through their will on people.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bunch
Kudos to the California judges!

Respecting the will of the people is always a welcome sign. This vote is so telling because it doesn't get more liberal than California, its a message to the gay movement a message that they should readdress the way that they are trying to get their message accross.

Not everyone is ready for gay marriages and that just the truth, they should not give up their cause of course but they should rethink how they get their message accross instead of trying to push through their will on people.

Why can they not have what every other self respecting human being is allowed!
I udnerstand what you say, but it has nothing to do with pushing their will onto other people, its a basic right!
Again I restate, whom are WE ALL to decide on whom gets to be with whom. If your adults its not an issue!!
Why should they re dress their message, why can they not ask for the same. Just because people have a view stuck in their head about what marriage is (which most are incorrect in their assumptions), why cant THEY change THEIR views instead.
Marriage only became a "sanction" because of the Church, prior to that it was nothing like it is now!
So in introducing this the Church has led us to believe its something its not... And have discriminated against a majority...

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   
My friend explains it as upsetting because unless the word marriage can be used, then since not all states recognize civil unions, they can have problems if they leave Ca.and something should happen, whereas, if they could call it marriage, they'd be protected.

The whole thing is silly hurtful bs IMO. I don't care if someone marries a dog myself, if the dog can consent. I've been teaching mine to nod.

My own marriage is based in love and faithfulness and even if everyone else married a horse, I'd still think it was sacred to be married to my husband.

[edit on 27-5-2009 by hadriana]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana
My friend explains it as upsetting because unless the word marriage can be used, then since not all states recognize civil unions, they can have problems if they leave Ca.and something should happen, whereas, if they could call it marriage, they'd be protected.

The whole thing is silly hurtful bs IMO. I don't care if someone marries a dog myself, if the dog can consent. I've been teaching mine to nod.

Mine chucks things at me.
Ie: If I give him a scoobie snack and he wants a marrow bone snack, he will chuck the scoobie snack at me until I give him the Marrow snack
So cute

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I do not for the life of me understand why what other people do is SUPPOSED to reflect on me.

It is a trend I see in the country - can't have a fat wife because it will reflect on me. Can't have a husband that's bald so it's a reflection one me. My kids have to be honor students so it will reflect on me. WTF There's a lot of that going around. Gotta one up, keep up, go under trying, kill yourself, hurt others, gotta get one up, keep up...have something other's don't, greed, keeping it for yourself, oppression..

How could anyone else's marriage be a reflection on my own? I keep my vows. I work at it. I honor it. I hold it sacred. (Hopefully the husband does too, lol)

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by The_Seeker

Take any other civil right fight as an example, womens rights, rights for african americans and others, it took a collective effort from people from various sides to take down those wals and bring about change.

Gays so far right now dont have the people with them for some reason and that might be that the people is not ready, but why? Maybe the message that is getting accross is not the right one. Or maybe the people to simply put it dont want gay marriages at all.

The fact in this case is that it was presented to the voters, the voters excersise their right, now is time for the gay movement to readdress their strategy.

I have many homosexual friends and we talk frankly about this issue and many of them say they couldn't care less. Not every homosexual person out there is an activist for their own cause!! If they dont feel is important then why we should?

I'm all for rights for everyone, but not at the expense of negating the result of a democratic process, they had their chance and they lost so let it be the end of it until the next election where Im sure this measure would be brought back.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join