It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California high court upholds gay marriage ban

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by justsomeboreddude
Look where it got you in California. If it happened that way in one of the most Liberal states in the country then how do you think the rest of the country will vote.

Again - California is NOT a Liberal state.

It has areas that are very Liberal - - but the majority of the state is agricultural.

What? Not a liberal state? Where are all the democrat voters coming from then?

The fact is that California is sooo liberal that they have made themselves irrelevant as far as the feds are concerned - dems in DC feel no need to send them any pork because they'll get the votes anyway. Republicans have adopted a "why bother" attitude for the same reason ...

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Originally posted by justsomeboreddude
Look where it got you in California. If it happened that way in one of the most Liberal states in the country then how do you think the rest of the country will vote.

Again - California is NOT a Liberal state.

It has areas that are very Liberal - - but the majority of the state is agricultural.

What? Not a liberal state? Where are all the democrat voters coming from then?

The fact is that California is sooo liberal that they have made themselves irrelevant as far as the feds are concerned - dems in DC feel no need to send them any pork because they'll get the votes anyway. Republicans have adopted a "why bother" attitude for the same reason ...

Are you from California?

Yep - there are Democrats. California has a high population of hispanics and other ethnic groups. These groups do tend to be more prominent in the Democratic party.

California is a major agriculture state.

However - Democrat does NOT equal Liberal.

Go research the ethnic breakdown on who voted for Prop 8. (I'm not going to do it for you)

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I lived there for 15 pretty crappy years, but I'll never claim to be from there.

The people in CA are pretty much reaping what they've sown. Too bad they don't seem to like the resulting crop too much.

The truth is that net payers of taxes to CA have left or are leaving, which leaves the state full of net users of tax money - (illegal) immigrants and others with their hands out perpetually. I predicted that the CA infrastructure would bankrupt itself, but never believed it would happen this quickly. The nanny state experiment in CA has officially failed.

Why is the above relevant to this thread? Because as the house crumbles all around them, we have people in CA crying about gay marriage - FCS.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

I lived there for 15 pretty crappy years, but I'll never claim to be from there.

I was born and raised In SOCA - - lived there for 50 years. My kid and brothers still live there.

Only left because of a business opportunity.

I am forever Thankful - I was raised in a place that has always been open to diversity.

I have never had to overcome anything.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   

The people in CA are pretty much reaping what they've sown. Too bad they don't seem to like the resulting crop too much.

The truth is that net payers of taxes to CA have left or are leaving, which leaves the state full of net users of tax money - (illegal) immigrants and others with their hands out perpetually. I predicted that the CA infrastructure would bankrupt itself, but never believed it would happen this quickly. The nanny state experiment in CA has officially failed.

Uh - you've pretty much just describe the entire country.

A little selective stick poking there.

Back on Topic: Equality is Equality - - never should there be a vote on equality of a minority by a majority.

[edit on 27-5-2009 by Annee]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by UrsusMajor

Your not wrong in spite of the fact that women voting , divorce(SP?) e.t.c did not destroy the world there still those who think that Gays and Gay Marriage will kill us all . It would be comical if the deranged Gay haters and/or haters of Gay Marriage didn't think that the issue was more important then the economic health of there state . Kiwis who move to Australia cant apply for welfare for two or three years had California adopted such a measure then the state wouldn't have gone bankrupt .

You reek what you sow all right California is what happens when you care more about what people do in the bedroom then economic issues .

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Without flogging a dead horse, my big problem is that this is a faith based ban.
The religious zealots spending the taxpayer's money (the churches don't pay taxes, so they shouldn't have any say in government/law) on hatred.

Not sure if that counted as a single line. So this one is free.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Badgered1
Without flogging a dead horse, my big problem is that this is a faith based ban.
The religious zealots spending the taxpayer's money (the churches don't pay taxes, so they shouldn't have any say in government/law) on hatred.

Not sure if that counted as a single line. So this one is free.

It is TOTALLY!

I am so sick of politicians fearing the religious power.

I am 100% for separation of church and state in ALL government issues.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousMoose

California high court upholds gay marriage ban

news.yahoo.com

SAN FRANCISCO – The California Supreme Court upheld a voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage Tuesday, but it also decided that the estimated 18,000 gay couples who tied the knot before the law took effect will stay wed.

The 6-1 decision written by Chief Justice Ron George rejected an argument by gay rights activists that the ban revised the California constitution's equal protection clause to such a dramatic degree that it first needed the Legislature's approval.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Marriage as defined; the social institution under which a man and woman establish their decision to live as husband and wife by legal commitments, religious ceremonies, etc.

So, why not name it something different between a man and a man, woman and a woman.

Surely it's quite rediculous all this commotion over such labeling, if truely one is in love with the other why must it be under society if not just under oneself's own outlook.

-Psycho.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I'm not gay myself.
I wish they would let Gays get married in Australia.

Being an un married gay couple is a nice TAX break in Australia if you have children, I know of two Gay couples both receiving single parent allowances from the government because the government won't recognise them as a couple?

Neither of both couples needs to work because the single parent payments are very, very good.
Probably why we don't hear to many Gays complaining here in Australia..

Always comes down to the money..

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

I was born and raised In SOCA - - lived there for 50 years. My kid and brothers still live there.

Only left because of a business opportunity.

I am forever Thankful - I was raised in a place that has always been open to diversity.

I have never had to overcome anything.

Well, sorry to break it to you but your California is gone, never to return. My wife grew up there, and often tells me now it is nothing like "the good old days". It's been replaced by the California I've described and it will only get worse. Fighting over narcissistic causes while it crumbles even further can only hasten CA's demise.

[edit on 5/27/2009 by centurion1211]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
"The Good Old Days" - - always cracks me up.

What is so good about "The Good Old Days"? Selective memory.

I'm a Progressionist. Always learning - always open to new ideas.

And . . . I think I'll keep all the medical technologies of "The Good New Days".

Now we need to move forward in Full Equality.

In the long run - what happened in California will hopefully wake more people up to Separation of Church and State - - and support of equality for a minority group.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
We should put all the gays on their own island or give the a piece of land and leave them there any one wanting to go there can but its a one way ticket..

Then they can make there own laws in what ever they want to do.

What you think about that?

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by smashenator

It's a pennisula.

It's called "San Francisco".

It's a beautiful place of history, culture, art, and science.

It welcomes all, and very few ever want to leave.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Badgered1
If two people of the same sex get married, and are offered the same legal rights as other married people, what changes does it make to your life?

How does this affect you in any way shape or form other than twinging the little religious traditions, fears, and superstitions in the back of your mind. Make you feel all uncomfortable? Grow up. That little nagging fear is YOUR problem, not those that seek to marry.

Will it make your life any different? No.
Will it stop you from being able to work, and provide for your family? No.

Of course not.

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness but-only-if-you-fit-into-the-little-pigeon-hole-that-makes-me-sleep-better.........

Lots and lots of money was spent on this. For all the "Christian" values it's protecting, it could have actually fed some poor people, bought some medicine for the sick, or made somebody's standard of life better.

Great priorities there, Christians.

WWJD?
He'd give the money spent on this pathetic movement to a homeless shelter and laugh at the so-called Christians for completely disregarding all his teachings and manipulating them into political agenda.

The Christians are always banging on about love, and compassion, and tolerance, and turning the other cheek were what Jesus was all about. Then they do crap like this.

I'm not gay, but this whole thing makes me sick.

The hypocrisy is pure evil in my opinion.

I would be careful how you label those who do not support gay marriage. I myself do not support gay marriage, but I don't consider homosexuals evil or think they should be punished because of their lifestyle. My objections to gay marriage have nothing to do with religion. Also, I don't use my dislike of homosexuals as the basis for my objections to gay marriage.

It has to do with opposing something that does not feel right according to my intuition. It has to do with a minority (homosexuals) wanting to change a tradition (marriage) that has been within society for hundreds of years. It is to do with the fact that two people of the same sex cannot reproduce together, so why should they be granted the same rights as a couple that can and are more likely to have kids?

And I find it ridiculous that people who oppose gay marriage are not allowed to voice their opinions without being subject to disproportionate ridicule.

It's "either support gay marriage or keep your intolerant mouth shut!" So much for freedom of speech hey?

In this particular case, the high court has spoken and that is that most of those who voted do not support gay marriage.

[edit on 30/5/2009 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
News update July 17 2009 Federal Judge throws out challenge to Prop 8. See it here: www.bizjournals.com...

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join