It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Current U.S. UFO Hotspot Map and Sighting Checklist

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
This thread contains maps showing the current UFO hotspots, a small checklist on what to do if you have seen a UFO and a link to a map courtesy of Google that provides real time worldwide UFO sighting information as soon as it is reported, including a summary of event and any relevant links or pictures.

Detailed map with various overlays showing the top ten UFO hotspots as of April 2009 based on number of reports from 1947- 2005

Major Metro Counties
1 Los Angeles, CA: 1346
2 King, WA: 621
3 Cook, IL: 468
4 Maricopa, AZ: 424
5 San Diego, CA: 348
Less Populated Counties
1 Westmoreland, PA: 396
2 Saguache, CO: 263
3 Santa Rosa, FL: 242
4 Yakima, WA: 227
5 Rockingham, NH: 183

Text and images courtesy of popularmechanics.com

The list of top ten counties shows the total number of sightings from those counties from 1947-2005. The top (in red) are the most populated counties with a high number of sightings. The bottom (in blue) are less populated counties with the most number of sightings.

Map showing the density of UFO reports per 100,000 people by county in the United States

Courtesy of scifi.com/ufology

Here is the real time sighting link, the information is a collaboration of nuforc.com , ufoevidence.org and Google Earth.

Link to Real Time UFO Sighting Tracking

UFO Sighting Checklist

1. Make sure it is not Venus, the most commonly mistaken object for a UFO. You can call your local astronomer (if you have one,lol) or just visit the following sites that will tell you the current position of Venus in your area:

earthsky.org
space.com
stellarium.org

2. It could be a military experiment or exercises. There is a lot of classified projects or just commonly unknown aircraft that could be confused with something otherworldly. Here is a FAA site that you can go to see if any special alerts were put out by the military for an test or exercise:

sua.faa.gov

Here is a site that has a list of airbases, airports, and special airspace:
popularmechanics.com

If it is one of our aircraft could it be one of these speculated top secret aircraft? The B-2 and F-117 were commonly mistook for UFOs in the eighties and early nineties, so it is possible that what you are seeing is another “black world” aircraft.

3. Is it one of our spacecraft? It could be the ISS(International Space Station), the Space Shuttle, or a satellite. All are very high up and some can appear to be moving at a “unreal” speed. Here is some live tracking sites for all the aforementioned human built spacecraft:

spaceflight.nasa.gov
n2yo.com

I ran across this article and thought it would be a good idea to post it here on ATS so people know the best way to go about identifying, reporting, and finding a UFO. Hopefully this will help clear out some of the rubbish “sightings” floating around due to lack of knowledge on aerial and orbital objects. Take care everyone.

EDIT to add: In addition to Gazrok's thread I linked in the next post here are some places to report a sighting:

nuforc.com
mufon.org
ufocenter.com
For those members in the UK
mod.uk
**End UK only sites**
nicap.org

Anyone anywhere can report to any of these, I added the UK MoD to the list because it is easier for research purposes to report to a nearer location, I know a lot of our members are in the UK or surrounding countries.

Those are just a few, remember to follow the steps in the checklist to eliminate any normal possibilities. Also you might want to check with your local military base to alert them(so an official government record is created). You can also call the non-emergency police line and report it. Also don't forget to bring your sighting to ATS for us all to see and scrutinize!lol.......

Sources

popularmechanics.com
nuforc.org
mufon.com

[edit on 5/26/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Here is a thread by ATS member Gazrok that is heplful on how to report a UFO sighting...www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
This is a surprisingly excellent thread, well done!

I am traveling to one of the biggest hotspots next week for a couple of weeks.

Yes I have at least 3 cameras and a blackberry ready and loaded!

What google earth has done for the UFO field researchers is beyond measure. My BB has GPS so I can link to that from anyplace I visit.

I will S@F this Thread and come back as long as it continues to breath pure fire.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Well done OP. The only thing that you forgot was how to report UFO Activity.

I wonder how many of those Hot Spot areas are near Air Force Bases. I know the one in Southern Oregon is a very lowly populated area that is the location of Kingsley Field AFB.

Whereas the Hot Spot right across the Oregon-California border stretches between Copper/Brown Mountain and Mount Shasta, both of which reputedly have underground facilities but otherwise are not near any Air Force Bases.

Very interesting indeed.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

I added that in the next post with a link to Gazrok's thread. I will edit the OP accordingly though.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Thanks, what state are you going? I bet it is out west isn't it,lol.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Thanx for the great links and info. Do you know if they have statistic to show sightings since 2000

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by SharkBait

Do you mean from 2000-2009?

I know most of the UFO statistics are longitudinal studies (long term, usually over many years). I will check for you.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Awww cool thread jkrog!

Me like.

S&F.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
A thought I intended to post here for quite a while but I haven't found the right thread. I think it fits in here.

As we all know U.F.O. stands for Unidentified Flying Object. Now, in most reported UFO cases and most of these videos and pictures out there, besides the hoaxes, the objects are only "unidentified" by the general populous and untrained/uneducated mind.

Most the these "objects" are actually military crafts, drones, high tech test flights, concept studies etc...meaning, these crafts that all these people report so excitingly as extraterrestrial UFOs are in fact man made and operated.

[edit on 26-5-2009 by thegreatobserver]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Here is another live tracking link, it is the same as the one I linked in my OP but seems to have updates for the months of May:www.ufostalker.com...

The tracker is courtesy of MUFON.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by thegreatobserver

Yes, you are absolutely right. That is one reason there are threads like this one and efforts to educate the masses on the proper way to identify and report a UFO. Really about 10-20% are likely true UFOs and alien in origin IMO.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by jkrog08

Here is a FAA site that you can go to see if any special alerts were put out by the military for an test or exercise:

sua.faa.gov

I always wondered what the FAA did with all those reports we had to file whenever we wanted to launch a High Powered Model Rocket!

Now I know!

I'm going to be a little less bothered by having to do so now.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by fraterormus

Here is a FAA site that you can go to see if any special alerts were put out by the military for an test or exercise:

sua.faa.gov

I always wondered what the FAA did with all those reports we had to file whenever we wanted to launch a High Powered Model Rocket!

Now I know!

I'm going to be a little less bothered by having to do so now.

Great news

I love it when threads inform people, rather then just waste space.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Here is another helpful bit of information on what to do if you do see a UFO:

Ten Things You Should Do if You Encounter a UFO
(C) Copyright 1994 by Michael Curta. All Rights Reserved.

Every year over 70,000 reports of UFO sightings come into UFO Research Organizations around the world. While it is true that 9 out of 10 sightings are explainable, it is also true that only 1 in 10 is ever reported and each year the number of reports increase. Is this because there are more sightings? Is it because more people are willing to come forward and report their sightings to researchers? Or could it simply be that in the past witnesses did not know where to report sightings. What ever the case may be and you could make a case for all 3, the fact still remains that the number a reports are going up at an incredible rate.

There are far more reports then Investigators and that is where the witnesses must help the investigator. Think of the sighting like a crime! Though the only crime being committed is the one our Government commits by its unwillingness to openly investigate such sightings. I say think of it as a crime because you never know what is going to happen and you need to remember exact details of the event for recall at a later time. The Information that follows is designed to help you to help investigators.

1. The number one thing to remember is REMAIN CALM! But protect yourself from any hazards real or perceived. Be prepared to take evasive (but not aggressive) action to get out of its way. Remember you might be witnessing the event of a life time and will want to remember every detail and you can't do that if you are hysterical.

2. Be objective. Not every UFO is extraterrestrial, eliminate every other possibility (within your means) first. Only after that should you consider the possibility that what you saw might be a true UFO.

3. Use a cam corder or camera to record the event. Try to keep reference points in the field of view, as this will aid researchers in analyzing the film. If you do not have a camera or cam corder then draw pictures of what you saw and the area around it.

4. If you have a tape recorder, record your description of the event as it happens. Include reference points on this tape also. i.e. "I am about 10 yards for the big oak tree and the craft is 30 yards beyond that". If you don't have a tape recorder write down your observations right after the event.

5. If other witnesses are present ask them to also write or record their observations but do NOT discuss the event with them (at least until after your observations have been recorded) as investigators want to know what you saw not what your neighbor saw.

6. If the UFO left some trace of its presence behind do not disturb the area around it and restrict access to the site (its not a crime any more, its now a crime scene). Photograph the area around the site before you enter the area and make note of the exact position of every thing! Take close up photos or video tape of the evidence before touching it. Remember you don't know what your touching, where it came from or what type of hazards might be associated with it!

7. If the sighting is from a distance, at an arms length, what would it take to cover up the object? A Quarter? A Penny? A Dime? an Aspirin? Or would it take something bigger? A Golf ball? A baseball? or a Tennis ball?

8. Try to judge the distance from you to the object, the objects altitude, and its speed. Was it across the street or was it over the next field? Was it tree top level or was it a few hundred feet up? Did it cross the sky in 5 seconds or 5 minuets?

9. Should you encounter some type extraterrestrial being associated with the craft be prepared to take evasive action to protect yourself. From a safe distance, in a concealed position photograph or video tape the being. If you are unable to safely get photos of the being, draw and write down a description as soon as it is safe to do so.

10. Immediately report the event to a UFO research origination for investigation, there are several such organizations around the world. The Mutual UFO Network [MUFON] is the largest and most noted of these organizations, with investigators in all 50 states and around the world

www.mufon.com...

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by SharkBait

So far all I have found was a study by Canada from 89-2007. You can see the increase from 00-07. Keep in mind only 10% of sightings are actually reported. The U.S. also has more sightings then anywhere, so you can at least double the numbers you see in the chart below. There is also 700,000 cases a year reported to MUFON, so you can see where this is going. It is also hard to get such organized and collaborated information in the field of Ufology because of its very nature.

Courtesy: canadianuforeport.com

I will try to find one for the US, but it may take a while so I thought I would give you this for now.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   

2. It could be a military experiment or exercises. There is a lot of classified projects or just commonly unknown aircraft that could be confused with something otherworldly. Here is a FAA site that you can go to see if any special alerts were put out by the military for an test or exercise:

sua.faa.gov

Here is a site that has a list of airbases, airports, and special airspace:
popularmechanics.com

If it is one of our aircraft could it be one of these speculated top secret aircraft? The B-2 and F-117 were commonly mistook for UFOs in the eighties and early nineties, so it is possible that what you are seeing is another “black world” aircraft.

Good thread jk! W.R.T to military crafts, people might want to take a gander at this list before claiming an object unidentified.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
As Xtraeme pointed out above there is a great thread he made outlinging in great detail some of the various flying craft the US military tests. Here is the link....

Request help identifying all govt. & civilian saucer-related projects!

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Xtraeme

Great thread man! I hope you don't mind the plug!

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   

reply to post by Xtraeme

Great thread man! I hope you don't mind the plug!

Hey, anything to raise peoples awareness of what's around them
. I'd love it if our resident military aircraft experts would post other "out there" designs that have otherwise gone unknown to the regular public!

[edit on 27-5-2009 by Xtraeme]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join