It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Niger leader dissolves parliment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Niger leader dissolves parliment

news.bbc.co.uk

Niger's President, Mamadou Tandja, has dissolved the uranium-rich country's parliament a day after his bid for a third term in office was ruled illegal
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Another country falls into martial law.

"He assumed executive powers after the constitutional court turned down his attempt to extend his time in power.

The court had found it would be illegal for Mr Tandja to hold a referendum on a change in the law, to allow him to continue as head of state. "

The scariest part to me, is that the media won't even call it martial law anymore. They use terms like: "dissolving parliment" anmd "executive power". Don't be fooled. There is only one this that this can be described as.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Too bad Africa doesn't have any oil or crazy dictators that don't take orders from the CIA. Africa is just an absolute cluster#, it's amazing that it just seems to get continually worse over there while white hands do all the profiting.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by CuriousSkeptic

Well, what makes this particular situation even more scary is the fact that niger is a country RICH in uranium.
en.wikipedia.org...

Plenty of leaders out there would love to have control of those mines, I'd guess.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by cautiouslypessimistic

nigera, wow cant type the word N-I-G-E-R-A without it putting that n-word thing down.

It is scary that the countries Uranium deposits is now under the control of a dictator.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tentickles

It is scary that the countries Uranium deposits is now under the control of a dictator.

Ahh but how long until Niger gets approached by other countries (say Iran or North Korea) to supply Uranium in exchange for additional votes blocking UN sanctions against the new dictator?

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by CuriousSkeptic
Too bad Africa doesn't have any oil or crazy dictators that don't take orders from the CIA. Africa is just an absolute cluster#, it's amazing that it just seems to get continually worse over there while white hands do all the profiting.

thats pretty racist and ignorant

i mean what are those 5million chinese nationals doing in africa anyway?

surely not profiting??

wake ur mind up skeptic

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tentickles

nigera, wow cant type the word N-I-G-E-R-A without it putting that n-word thing down.

you would probably mean NIGERIA??

and whats with all this racism comments?

Just because the nation is where the N word came from, doesn't mean the nation is politically incorrect to say

Niger or Nigeria are both accepted names, and neither are racist

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
How is that racist or ignorant? I'm talking about all of Africa including the diamond trade, the modern slave trade, the arms trade, etc. Also how bad the United States and other Euro nations have screwed Africa into the state they're in.

By the way, I'm white not that it matters.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Good to see that we are all so grown up on here that we can have a discussion about one of the more important countries in the world without it degenerating into jokes about the name "Niger"

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Niger and Nigeria are actually different countries.

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

top topics

join