It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

25 missing nukes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Alittle offtopic maybe. But I was wondering if anybody else heard about this. I dont have a link directly, but anybody else remembering hearing at after the Soviet Union Collapsed 25 briefcases with portable Nuclear weapons dissapeared from Russia, and was tipped off of being planted in 25 different cities somewhere in the US?

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 02:55 PM
link   
ive heard of it and supposedly there is Russian general who was interviewed who said that this is true.

go to usaatacked.com and find more info...

[Edited on 29-4-2004 by watcheroftheskies]

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 02:57 PM
link   
It wasnt 25 suit case nukes it was 100 I remember having the artical last year I belive I posted somthing on this on ats years ago before it was updated to the version it is now but I might still have the artical some place I will look.

Falcon

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I haven't heard that, but I do know the US has lost 4 nuclear weapons since 1945.

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 12:10 PM
link   
not heard that, slightly different topic, but has anyone heard about this one?

www.rense.com...

an oil tanker, 2 uranium rods and 3300lbs of nitrate type explosive all going missing in the space of a month?

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I never heard of this OP but I've been catching up on the recent 'missing' nukes saga -- this is awful:

In other words, unauthorized removal of nuclear weapons would be virtually impossible to accomplish unless the chain of command were bypassed, involving, in this case, the deliberate tampering of the paperwork and tracking procedures.

Several military personnel died under mysterious circumstances shortly before and after the incident. There are now questions regarding the fate of these individuals in the U.S. Air Force who could have had relationships in one way or another to the incident or possibly have been directly involved. It is also necessary to state that there is no proof that these deaths are linked to the August flight from Minot to Barksdale in question.

Citizens for Legitimate Government has pointed towards the involvement of the U.S. Air Force in a cover-up and has several deaths of U.S. servicemen to the incident. Lori Price has also stated for Citizens for a Legitimate Government that “you need about fourteen signatures to get an armed nuke on a B-52.”

Based on several news sources, including the U.S. military, we provide below a detailed review of these mysterious and untimely deaths of U.S. servicemen.

"Missing Nukes: Treason of the Highest Order"

[edit on 25-11-2007 by anhinga]

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 01:16 AM
link   
After the collapse of the Soviet Union many Nuclear weapons did go unaccounted for, including at least 20 Suitcase type Nuclear devices.

It is mainly believed that during the cold war (and after) Russian operatives smuggled them into the US and spread them over various cities as part of the M.A.D strategy.

M.A.D. stands for Mutual Annihilation Destruction. This is more of a defensive tactic, meaning that if the US were to detonate a Nuclear bomb in Russia, the Russians would have a quick response to detonate a Nuclear bomb in the US... basically ensuring that neither country used Atomic weapons.

The problem is that... the suitcase Nukes may have fallen into the hands of terrorists via rogue generals/governments selling them on the black market.

In either case, it is generally speculated by the intelligence community that these devices could probably not function properly anymore (since they were created about 40 years ago) but who knows.

~S

[edit on 26-11-2007 by salez20]

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by salez20
M.A.D. stands for Mutual Annihilation Destruction. This is more of a defensive tactic, meaning that if the US were to detonate a Nuclear bomb in Russia, the Russians would have a quick response to detonate a Nuclear bomb in the US... basically ensuring that neither country used Atomic weapons.

MAD actually stands for Mutually Assured Destruction. It was the main reason that the East & West didn't launch nuclear weapons against each other during the Cold War.

The basic concept is that both nations had enough nuclear weapons to destroy the other no matter what. Nuclear bunkers and defence systems were a waste of time due to the shear amount of weapons that could be launched against point targets, destroying any bunker in existence and overwhelming defensive capabilities.

The knowledge you would become the target of such mass counter attacks made launching the initial attack unthinkable.

In either case, it is generally speculated by the intelligence community that these devices could probably not function properly anymore (since they were created about 40 years ago) but who knows.

It is generally publically speculated. The simple fact is that these weapons were designed for sleepers, meaning that they would have to last dormant for many years before use. Remember, there was no forseeable end to the Cold War when these weapons were placed, meaning that their use could have been a long way away. The weapons were designed to last.

It is a common government tactic to make the public unaware of threats. We did it all the time to a smaller extent in N. Ireland. It keeps the masses happy and stops them demanding results. What would the public response be if it were known that there were X number of live, ready to use nuclear weapons around the country? They would demand that they be found, and there would be potential widespread panic. Much easier to keep quiet and state that the threat is minimal.

[edit on 26-11-2007 by PaddyInf]

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 03:41 AM
link   
I've written about it here and there. There's a video in this post where Alexander Lebed tells 60 minutes about the "more than 100 missing suitcase nukes of a total of 250". This thread is also related.

[edit on 2007/11/26 by Hellmutt]

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by WolfofWar

Scary problem and it appears it has been over ten years. Do you think that in the last ten years they may have found them. Are they equipped with tracking devices? It seems that they would have put some of their modern technology (satellites, remote viewers and nano tech) to good use.

Are Suitcase Nukes on the Loose?
The Story Behind the Controversy
By Scott Parrish
November 1997
View the summary version.
Former Russian Security Council Secretary Aleksandr Lebed has stirred controversy in both Russia and the United States with his allegations that the Russian government is currently unable to account for some eighty small atomic demolition munitions (ADMs) which were manufactured in the USSR during the Cold War. Lebed originally made the allegations in a closed meeting with a US congressional delegation in May 1997. His charges generated public controversy three months later when he repeated them in an interview with the CBS newsmagazine 60 Minutes, which was broadcast on 7 September 1997.

cns.miis.edu...

data and reports of the Suitcase Nukes issue

www.homelandsecurityus.net...

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 04:15 AM
link   
I liked it a lot better when I just read MAD magazine. Double sigh.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Another thing. Alexander Lebed was running for President... against Putin. He died under mysterious circumstances. And polonium... which was used to kill Litvinenko... might be used to arm suitcase nukes. Triggers. Maybe the murder on Litvinenko was a smoke screen? To explain the sudden traces of Polonium found all over the place in Germany and UK?

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by salez20

1. Russia NEVER believed in M.A.D. that is a western (U.S.) doctrine.
2. No Nukes would be smuggled outside of Russia without the Government knowing X-amount of nukes went missing, and the Gov would know from which location they went missing from.
3. Those incharge of those nukes at those locations would be Courtmarshaled and or Executed if that EVER happend.
4. If those who stole it left Russia there would be a world wide man hunt for them in ALL European/U.S. entries, they would be found.
5. If this happend some sort of info would come out stating "These military personel are wanted /have been caught with calassified matierial" or something to that effect, there has been no Nukes that have ever left Russia/Ukraine or any other Ex-Soviet satalites.
6. No Russian military personel no matter how desperate they are would sell a nuke/s to Mid-East terrorist/freedom fighter or what ever.

[edit on 26-11-2007 by YASKY]

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 08:59 AM
link   
There was a book my father had that was authored by a former Russian general that said the USSR planted suitcase nuclear bombs around the USA as a backup if SHTF. After the collapse of the USSR the suitcase nukes were still in place. The only thing that would be needed is the polonium for the triggers. Funny how polonium has been showing up lately....

I'll try to find out the name of the book.

[edit on 26-11-2007 by on_yur_6]

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Here seem to be source facts about the issue.

www.globalsecurity.org...

Russian institutes have lost weapons-grade and weapons-usable nuclear materials in thefts.

In 1992, 1.5 kilograms of 90-percent-enriched weapons-grade uranium were stolen from the Luch Production Association.

In 1994, 3.0 kilograms of 90-percent-enriched weapons-grade uranium were stolen in Moscow.

In 1999, we confirmed that a Bulgarian seizure of nuclear material was weapons-usable. The material—four grams of HEU—likely originated in Russia.

Although not independently confirmed, reports of a theft in 1998 from an unnamed enterprise in Chelyabinsk Oblast are of concern. According to Viktor Yerastov, chief of Minatom's Nuclear Materials Accounting and Control Department, the amount stolen was "quite sufficient material to produce an atomic bomb"—the only nuclear theft that has been so described.

www.fas.org...

In October 2002, former Minister of Atomic Energy Adamov stated, "Neither Bin Ladin nor anyone else could steal a nuclear weapon from anywhere in the former Soviet Union. During my time as minister, I carried out a comprehensive stock-taking of everything we had and had had, and traced the history of all the warheads ever produced. So, everything there was on the territories of the former USSR republics was returned to Russia.... Nothing was stolen from us. So, neither Bin Ladin, nor Iraq nor Iran could make use of these explosive devices."

Although...

Russian authorities twice (in 2002 and 2003) thwarted efforts to gain access to nuclear weapon storage sites in the European part of Russia

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Well if the USSR did plant the nuclear bombs in major cities, then I'm sure they've been found and removed then.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheoOne
Well if the USSR did plant the nuclear bombs in major cities, then I'm sure they've been found and removed then.

Well if it is true, all they would need to do is place them in a lead container and bury deep until needed. We cannot stop anything from coming across our borders now and look how long it has been since 9/11.

Hell in the amount of time it took for the Allies to defeat the Axis powers in WW2, The USA cannot rebuild one or two of the buildings that was destroyed on 9/11 and our wonderfully inept government cannot secure our nation.

I hope if there are any WMD's out there waiting to be used they have been found by now.

But then has anyone read this yet? Sources warned that possibly 60 Afghan and Iraqi terrorists were to be smuggled into the U.S. through underground tunnels

I don't have a lot of faith that our current administration will secure our nation any time soon. President Bush lives in a bubble and cannot see what is happening on our borders. If he does see it then his inaction deserves impeachment if not worse.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by on_yur_6
There was a book my father had that was authored by a former Russian general that said the USSR planted suitcase nuclear bombs around the USA as a backup if SHTF.
I'll try to find out the name of the book.

[edit on 26-11-2007 by on_yur_6]
What are you telling me to shut up for, I didn't say Russia didn't put nukes in U.S. cities, I said no nukes were missing.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jadette
Here seem to be source facts about the issue.

www.globalsecurity.org...

Russian institutes have lost weapons-grade and weapons-usable nuclear materials in thefts.

In 1992, 1.5 kilograms of 90-percent-enriched weapons-grade uranium were stolen from the Luch Production Association.

In 1994, 3.0 kilograms of 90-percent-enriched weapons-grade uranium were stolen in Moscow.

In 1999, we confirmed that a Bulgarian seizure of nuclear material was weapons-usable. The material—four grams of HEU—likely originated in Russia.

Although not independently confirmed, reports of a theft in 1998 from an unnamed enterprise in Chelyabinsk Oblast are of concern. According to Viktor Yerastov, chief of Minatom's Nuclear Materials Accounting and Control Department, the amount stolen was "quite sufficient material to produce an atomic bomb"—the only nuclear theft that has been so described.

www.fas.org...

In October 2002, former Minister of Atomic Energy Adamov stated, "Neither Bin Ladin nor anyone else could steal a nuclear weapon from anywhere in the former Soviet Union. During my time as minister, I carried out a comprehensive stock-taking of everything we had and had had, and traced the history of all the warheads ever produced. So, everything there was on the territories of the former USSR republics was returned to Russia.... Nothing was stolen from us. So, neither Bin Ladin, nor Iraq nor Iran could make use of these explosive devices."

Although...

Russian authorities twice (in 2002 and 2003) thwarted efforts to gain access to nuclear weapon storage sites in the European part of Russia
As I stated before:
1. No one can just walk in / sneak in to those places and take anything, the Gaurd/s would have to have aloud it to happen.
2. If this happend the Gaud/s would severly be punished and be forced to tell who it was they aloud to take the materials, and there wouldn't be these ex-Gov officials "socalled" telling stories about nukes coming up missing, these events NEVER happend.
3. Notice how it says "These reports havent been Independantly Confirmed" AKA = these things didn't really happen, if they did no official retired or not would have been aloud to talk openly about it, and if they did the F.S.B. will take care of them as soon as the story hits the stands/airwaves or T.V."

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Suitcase nukes need TLC after 15 years they are just heavy suitcases. I might br wrong but I have 2 lines

mikell

top topics

<<   2 >>

join