It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ex-NY Times journalists: We fumbled Watergate tip

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Ex-NY Times journalists: We fumbled Watergate tip

money.aol.com

NEW YORK -The reporter rushed up to his editor, thunderstruck by what the FBI's acting director had just let him know: The former attorney general — maybe even the president — was complicit in the Watergate break-in two months before.
But The New York Times let the hot tip fall through the cracks, the reporter and editor say after decades of silence about the August 1972 conversation. They say it's unclear whether the Times pursued information that might have let it beat The Washington Post to the blockbuster story of political espionage, which was described in "All the President's Me
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
This is just a wonderful story just released today about how the New York Times ‘missed’ the opportunity to break the Watergate Scandal.

It truly makes you wonder, the Times being one of the most respected publications in the world what other great stories that they might have ‘missed’ over the years. Stories that might never have gotten told, stories waiting to be told like 9-11.

It’s had to be crushing over the years for the reporter who got the tip from the Acting FBI Director at the time.

Yet more telling in my humble opinion is that its likely true they passed on it, and then even truer that it has taken over 30 years for them to admit it?

How much other news has the New York Times not reported in 30 years that the Washington Post or some other more intrepid Newspaper never got the crack at the tip?

money.aol.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Other news organizations also missed opportunities on Watergate. The day after the break-in, two reporters in The Associated Press' Washington bureau recognized the name of the Nixon campaign's security coordinator as among those arrested.

The reporters broke the story but didn't chase the tantalizing lead any further, as recalled in the 2007 book "Breaking News: How The Associated Press Has Covered War, Peace, and Everything Else."

"They just walked away from it," Walter R. Mears, then the AP's assistant bureau chief in Washington, said Monday. "They went on vacation. It was never followed up."

Must have been a nice vacation! I wonder who paid for it and how long it lasted?

Unreal!

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   

As they discussed the intrigue surrounding the June 17 attempt to bug the Democratic National Committee offices at the Watergate complex, Gray volunteered that former Attorney General John Mitchell was involved, Smith said Monday. Mitchell had stepped down to run Nixon's re-election campaign.

Smith said he asked Gray, "'Does it go up higher?' And he said, 'Yes.'"

Then, Smith said, "I choked and said, 'The president?' And he looked me in the eye," not denying it.

Makes you wonder what if anything the FBI might have done had some Newspaper not picked up on the story and brought it to the public's and congressional attention?

Makes you wonder why the FBI hasn't charged anyone with 9-11 either.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
They should do an investigation into mind control. Now that would be a big thing. Governments can keep secrets as no one knows what mind control tech exists really in the real world.

So how about it new york times, do a real expo on mind control.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

I would love to see them do a expose on mind control and a lot of the other technology they keep hidden from us.

The Press has surely failed us in recent decades.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   

"This is the best, truest, most revealing insider’s story ever published about life at the New York Times during the golden age of print journalism. . . . Phelps was in the thick of it all and tells it with the care and precision of a great editor"

Sounds like a pretty good endorsement on Mr. Phelps. Then again he does run the IMF!

Impossible Mission Force.

top topics

join