It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US consumer confidence soars in May (??)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
US Consumer Confidence Soars In May

I'd like to meet the people that the "Confidence Board" interviews. I have no doubt that these people are either seriously medicated or completely delusional. The housing market is plumeting with no bottom in sight, food costs and gasoline are on the rise, banks are failing, and yet we can dance in the street because things are going to get better???!

Yes sir, I'll love another glass of the kool-aid, thank you!

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Well, it's less bad and less bad can only mean green chutes...right?
I mean look at all the positive economic news....like....uhhh..... well it FEELS, less bad doesn't it? I mean Kudlow and Cramer told us that things are getting better....so things must be getting better....right?.....I feel great....I'm gonna go out and buy that new house now......ooops....I'm gonna buy that new house as soon as I sell mine.....uhhhh...why is my house worth less than 30% than what I owe on it....I still feel great about this economy...wow, this grape coolaid tastes phenominal,can I have some more????

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by BostonBill99

you silly people. If they say it, then it's true. Just like when they said we were not in a recession a year and a half ago. Just watch the news and follow the orders you are given.

silly people.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by BostonBill99

I propose that the numbers are fake.

To what end, you ask?

The answer is simple...to keep the average sheeple from making rational observations within their own environment about what is happening.

This is classic subconscious manipulation.

If the experts have data saying all is well, then surely all is well and any physical evidence encountered by the sheeple will be subconsciously discounted as if it where nothing or ignored altogether.

People have been conditioned to accept that "experts" know what they are talking about and that any data from them, must be correct since the source is an apparent authority on the matter.

This makes me laugh because often on television when a topic is discussed the MSM will have a so called "expert" to provide insight and bash any contradictions brought by other guests. CNN is a great example of this. They once had a segement devoted to UFO's and their choice of expert on the matter was "Bill Nye" the science guy. I couldn't stop laughing and it doubly reinforced my negative view of modern journalism as practiced by the MSM.

[edit on 26-5-2009 by warrenb]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Same B.S. stats that are consistent with all the others. In fact, I seriously doubt we'll ever hear about unemployment officially rising above 10% in the U.S. even though it's been much higher than that for many months now.

Those numbers are for Wall Street and the blind, deaf, and dumb; and there's lots of them out there.

BTW, no one I know in life currently has been spending more money and in fact everyone I know has been cutting back on spending. People that I casually talk to in the supermarket, book stores, and gym all say that too.

Case in point: just last week a popular Chinese restaurant that my parents have been eating at for years was nearly deserted when you can usually expect to see the place at or near capacity. And, my Aunt and her daughters spent a few days in Las Vegas last month and never saw so few people in the hotel.

How fast can you say 'Market Manipulation'?

[edit on 26-5-2009 by TypeSH2001]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Probably people that are doing good in todays world. These people probably have multiple houses paid off and very little debt. I know I have no confidence even though I make over twice what the average male of my age makes. Things are not as rosy as these idiots claim it is. The same exact people will also be wailing like banshee's when the banks close and people loose confidence in the dollar.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I read it on Yahoo and I am soooo happy that we can go buy stuff now!

Un freakin believable. I saw that headline and thought, wow, this is really sad. The folks reading this and taking it as truth are in for a sorry a$$ wake up call.... very soon.

How long can 'they' keep putting this crap out there?

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
well you gotta understand people are LOOKING for a reason to be optomistic......

so the tv tells them things are prolly gonna get better.....never mind the doom and gloomers....ya gotta think positive they tell themselves....

i mean so people are more confident in the survey and what happens boom 250 point stock rally......it doesn't have to be true for someone to believe it.....it only matters that it seems to work to alter reality......

also keep in mind these people were probably questioned a couple weeks ago when green shoots were getting even more play on tv......look HOPE DIES SLOW.........consumer sentiment could very well fall again.....(perhaps even after rising higher in June or July) it may be high(er) for awhile because people who buy that the recession is ending soon.....will constantly think the end is right along the corner and they will search for data or MSM shills (no shortage their) that tell them what they want to hear

This is a very interesting experiment in Psychology and i'm sure since the numbers came in much higher ....the word will be out to "Double down on green shoots B.s talk".....this will be interesting to see how this plays out

hell if i was running the CIA i would wait till confidence rose another month or two then i would throw a false flag out there which could be used as an excuse to let the market stop defying reality....and say "gee you can't blame the gov't or finance we were well on the way to a recovery" and look what the terrorists did....the sheep will buy it......and the anger will be deflected.........heck in this hypothetically situation it would be unpatriotic to say "wait we wouldn't have recovered anyway"....gee i would make such a good bad guy

[edit on 26-5-2009 by cpdaman]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
As a person who has had a statistics class I found out that statistics are what YOU make out of them. By changing the variables like sample amounts, locality where the samples are taken, even the attitude of the sampler can make the difference to the final outcome.
I once called out a physician for the outcome of his publication. It turned out the sample size was twenty people out of millions, and then he only took the results he wanted and discarded the others as errors. Recently I even found his results quoted as facts in another publication.
So, numbers can be used to lie, cheat and steal unless you have access to all the information the numbers are based on.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
oh of course consumer confidence is high in may. A lot of areas are repairing after major storm damage. just in my town alone 2,000 homes were damaged in a wind storm packing hurricane 2 strength winds. also a TV studio was destroyed when their 1,000 ft broadcast tower fell to the ground in the storm.

Yep yep confidence is high because of the artificial inflation of the confidence bubble because we are repairing our homes.

If you haven't guessed the numbers the government use are BUllS***!!!! with more and more people losing their jobs NO ONE is buying big ticket items unless they need to replace items that have been lost!

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Could just be considered reverse psychology.

They tell the masses everything is OK so the masses start buying up goods and services making it a self full filling prophecy in the end.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darthorious
Could just be considered reverse psychology.

They tell the masses everything is OK so the masses start buying up goods and services making it a self full filling prophecy in the end.

that is the simple version of it and why wouldn't they do this.....this is all they know and it has worked to varying degrees in the past

after 9/11....Tell american's we need revenge on IRAQ terrorists and bomb them to hell

= most americans get a sense of payback watching shock and awe

the one WEAKNESS with the consumer confidence survey is that some think it measures HOPE more than Confidence............

and you need confidence to buy things......but i believe more american's are confident things will get better.....after all this is what they want to believe and this is what the MSM is selling......

The market was looking to tank this morning until the consumer confidence came out so much higher.....that all the shorts had to cover......

[edit on 26-5-2009 by cpdaman]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 07:02 AM
link   
www.bloomberg.com...

It does go up!

join