It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AP sources: Obama picks Sotomayor for high court

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   

AP sources: Obama picks Sotomayor for high court

my.earthlink.net

WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama will nominate federal appeals judge Sonia Sotomayor for the Supreme Court on Tuesday, officials said, making her the first Hispanic in history picked to wear the robes of a justice.

If confirmed by the Senate, Sotomayor, 54, would succeed retiring Justice David Souter. Two officials described Obama's decision on condition of anonymity because no formal announcement had been made.

Sotomayor would be unlikely to change the ideological balance of the court since she would replace Souter, one of the more liberal members. The powerful nine-member court shi
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Another liberal on the high court. Obama's attempt at more of his leftwing political control.

Is this shift back to the left just a reaction to GWB's right wing shift in Supreme court a good thing? Fair and Balanced?

Perhaps business as usual with the ebb and flow of political control. This judge Sotomayor has yet to be confirmed and I expect a huge bru ha ha from the GOP. Perhaps even a filibuster as they have threatened.

my.earthlink.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   
she is a bush appointee is she not?

this might also help Obama get re-elected
because of hispanic demographic appeal.

She doesn't have much experience but that's besides the point right?

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

she would inject relative youth into the court's aging liberal wing. Justices serve until they retire or die, giving presidents an opportunity to influence policy long after their terms end.

Administration officials say Sotomayor would bring more judicial experience to the Supreme Court than any justice confirmed in the past 70 years.

Actually she does seem to have experience but I doubt that will make any difference in her confirmation as the GOP already has a dossier on her to try and derail her appointment. They might succeed.

But in the long run all the GOP needs is to alienate the Hispanic community and this will be spun as antihispanic.

[edit on 26-5-2009 by whaaa]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Shouldn't we the people elect these folks ? I am still relearning everything about our rights, but I thought all those in power were elected. Answers fellow ATS'ers.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
She's a woman and she's hispanic. Everything else is just icing on the cake.

As far as the liberals are concerned Obama did his job. Enough said.

[edit on 26-5-2009 by sos37]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
honestly it's not about Liberal,Democrat,Republican or any other "party" there are no such things anymore, it's all one big mesh of Global Takeover Elitest working for the NWO.

I'm so tired of hearing how liberal Obama is, and how he is turning this "USA" into a liberal country, i am NOT a obama Supporter, as i will never support a republican, or any other party. but it goes way way deeper then a "political party"

who ever gets "elected" was put into position by the Bilderbergs/CFR/TC and it's all part of there Global Takeover.

we the Fighters of this NWO need to open our eyes, and stop this Leftist rightist attitude, because past all the facade there is none

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Obama could not have walked a more narrow, politically correct, middle ground road with his appointment.

He hit every single criteria:

She's a woman, of hispanic descent, that had GOP backing (originally appointed by Bush Sr.), promoted by a Democrat (Clinton), that came from a single-parent household, and overcame poverty.

The only question left is: Did she pay her taxes?

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
We are discussing her racist and sexist statements on this thread

I don't know if we can have a breaking news and a political issues thread on the same person???? Dunno.

She's said some pretty strange things for someone who is supposed to uphold the Constitution.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
My major concern about this nominee is her stated belief that it is OK for judges to set policy or "legislate from the bench" instead of just interpreting the law based on the constitution.

Liberal judges across the country have have been using this philosophy to accomplish what liberals cannot do at the ballot box. Note the number of voter approved initiatives that keep getting overturned by liberal judges.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grayelf2009
Shouldn't we the people elect these folks ? I am still relearning everything about our rights, but I thought all those in power were elected. Answers fellow ATS'ers.

Uhm, it's clearly written in the Constitution that they would be appointed by the President
It never says how many people should be in the court (which Roosevelt nearly used to simply overrun the court to suit his needs), but it is an presidential appointment and a lifetime one at that.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
There is a reason why lady justice is blindfolded.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/dfa9f97362c0.jpg[/atsimg]

The law is supposed to be blind to your race/color, religion and other beliefs. The law should be applied equally to all.

Below are a few of Sotomayor's outrageous statements:

Sotomayor: 'I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male'.

Sotomayor on the court: 'Where policy is made'.

Sotomayor =

[edit on 5/26/2009 by WhatTheory]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Please do not post pics of her as this would cause racists to start shooting feds.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
All right, people. . . .

It looks like some of you are saying that if Obama doesn't put up a conservative white male then his choice is racist, sexist, ethnically prejudiced, etc. Not to mention too "extremely far left."

It's a rather clever tactic, but it doesn't work with me.

top topics

join