It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Picks Sonia Sotomayor to Replace David Souter on Supreme Court

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Information is a good thing to have..

Link here

Latino groups have been invited to the White House for the announcement, which will be made this morning.

Sotomayor seems, in many ways, tailor-made for President Obama as a Supreme Court nominee. She's a highly educated, vastly experienced, liberal-leaning Latina with a compelling personal story, a pragmatic view of the law and a keen sense of how her decisions affect people's lives.

Here is some more information on Sonia Sotomayor.

Sonia Sotomayor: Supreme Court Nominee: All You Need To Know

She left for the U.S. District Court in 1992. At the time, Sotomayor told the New York Times that she was inspired to become a judge by an episode of "Perry Mason."

"I thought, what a wonderful occupation to have," Ms. Sotomayor said. "And I made the quantum leap: If that was the prosecutor's job, then the guy who made the decision to dismiss the case was the judge. That was what I was going to be."

The SCOTUS situation The Washington Post ran an article this weekend called "In Court Pick, Obama Seeks to Be Bold but Not Provocative," and in exchange for passing on this spin, they saw fit to advance anonymous attacks against Sonia Sotomayor--the court of appeals judge thought to be the leading candidate on President Obama's short list to replace retiring Supreme Court Justice David Souter.

The Secret Sotomayor SCOTUS Slanders Continue

Sotomayor presents the most obvious "first" that Obama could fulfill: She would be the first Hispanic justice. And she offers the most compelling life story: Raised by her mother in a Bronx housing project after her father died, Sotomayor rose to the highest academic achievements at Princeton and then Yale Law School. Some say, though, that she has not distinguished herself on the appeals court.

It's unclear whether "some" consists of people whispering to the Post directly, or whether they're relying on the same "some" who approached The New Republic's legal correspondent Jeffery Rosen over the past couple weeks to anonymously question Sotomayor's fitness.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I thought this topic had to be interesting , but I was wrong !!

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Sotomayor has been considered as a potential Supreme Court Justice by both Republican and Democratic presidents.

Seems she's well respected by both sides.
Wouldn't this mean although she's liberal leaning, she'd be bipartisan if she appeals to both Republicans and Democrats?
A very uncontroversial choice or am I missing something?

new topics

join