It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drink up: Space Station Recycling Urine to Water

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   
!!! Link !!!
One small sip for man and a giant gulp of recycled urine for mankind.

Astronauts aboard the space station celebrated a space first on Wednesday by drinking water that had been recycled from their urine, sweat and water that condenses from exhaled air. They said "cheers," clicked drinking bags and toasted NASA workers on the ground who were sipping their own version of recycled drinking water.

"The taste is great," American astronaut Michael Barratt said. Then as Russian Gennady Padalka tried to catch little bubbles of the clear water floating in front of him, Barratt called the taste "worth chasing."

This must be a pretty usefull invention.
It must be great to have this 'technology' on long space trips.
You are sitting there, you are thirsty and you dont have to pee, you just ask your co-star traveller if you can borrow his blather..

I might get me one of these for my 'emergency' stash...

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
A lot of public water municipals already and havebeen using sewage waste and transform it into the city's drinking water. Needless to say I don't drink city water nowadays.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
It may be in our future whether we want it or not. Potable water may be an endangered species in the near future

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I wouldn't be surprised to see this being used on a much larger scale in a few years. Maybe I should start collecting rain water now...

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
What you guys have never tasted your own pee before?
C'mon it's delicious!

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I think its a great idea, if its safe, clean and not urine still, then why the hell not. Mankind obviously doesn't have the common sense to use the water we have wisely, so just as well to start preparing for when we have no order choice. CHEERS

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
"Hey Mom, It's still WARM!" They have been recycling urine for a while now. I'm not sure just how long, but I think since the space station of the 70's. I betchu that water is cleaner that the stuff out of the city tap!

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
In survival situations you can use the condensate from urine for water.
*nod*

It's sterile. It's fine.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Gives a whole new meaning to the term "bottoms up!".

As long as there are no active infections (bladder, kidney, etc.) then urine should be sterile. It does have to be filtered and such to get rid of the items that will mess with your electrolyte balance, though.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Some part of any water you've ever drank that wasn't made by burning ancient inorganic hydrogen-bearing chemicals was something's piss at some point.

It's not like the water in rain is somehow "new" water. It's been on the earth for billions of years. chances are, some part of it's been consumed and excreted by something.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
pbbbt pbbt pbbt YUCK!!
I am outraged!!! We do not have to take this, I bet the NWO doesn't drink Our pee, so Why should we drink theirs?

I would propose creating a storm cloud over the Space Station for a Good Purpose, fresh rain water for everyone!!!

Now how do you make a rain cloud? maybe we could start with Paranormal Activity!!

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Many cities along major rivers in the US dump there treated sewage into rivers.

And the next town along the river takes the river water and uses it for drinking water.

Where do you think all the drugs in the drinking water comes from.

www.usatoday.com...

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

What is Dumped Treated Sewage ANNED?

Is this a joke? I've never heard of this. Why are the water plants tainted with drug pee?

Pharmaceutical Terrorism?

[edit on 28-5-2009 by OrangeJuice]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Nothing wrong with drinking urine in its purist form:

Urine: The body's own health drink?

Some claim it cures everything from colds to cancer, while stranded hiker Paul Beck drank nothing else for six days and survived. So does urine have genuine health benefits?

For its advocates, it is a miraculous elixir that has replaced the morning coffee as their first drink of the day.

Source

You can also drink water from elephant pooh, if you're really desperate

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChemBreather
!!! Link !!!
One small sip for man and a giant gulp of recycled urine for mankind.

Astronauts aboard the space station celebrated a space first on Wednesday by drinking water that had been recycled from their urine, sweat and water that condenses from exhaled air. They said "cheers," clicked drinking bags and toasted NASA workers on the ground who were sipping their own version of recycled drinking water.

"The taste is great," American astronaut Michael Barratt said. Then as Russian Gennady Padalka tried to catch little bubbles of the clear water floating in front of him, Barratt called the taste "worth chasing."

This must be a pretty usefull invention.
It must be great to have this 'technology' on long space trips.
You are sitting there, you are thirsty and you dont have to pee, you just ask your co-star traveller if you can borrow his blather..

I might get me one of these for my 'emergency' stash...

don cheadle wants to know how all the water parks in wisconsin keep all the black grease out of the water, i caught condaleeza takeing a # in one of the water fountains

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ChemBreather

In this, as in so much else nowadays, America is way behind the Asian tigers.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6fc499224150.jpg[/atsimg]
Singapore's Senior Minister, Goh Chok Tong, swigging Nuwater - water obtained from recycled sewage. The picture dates from 2004. Source

Singapore has few natural freshwater sources and must depend on its neighbour, Malaysia, to meet its needs. And relations between the two countries could be better.

top topics

join