It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Enough with the Sheeple labels!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   
What's up with the ridiculous labeling of people as sheep and sheeple?

Honestly, it is such a pointless and contradictory thing to say.

I understand what it's supposed to mean, a group that follows the accepted or popular belief.

The ironic thing here is that calling a person a sheep is being a sheep yourself, you are joining in with the collective and popular belief.

Thus nullifying the derogation by calling someone a sheep.

So for the love of all sanity, stop calling people sheep!

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   
If one is familiar with the herding habits of sheep and draws a correllation between humans who "flock" in similar ways, the assumption that people acting like sheep are sheeple. I think its cute. Not everyone can be the wolf. Sheep fear wolves according to the fairy tales of old. Wolves are predators, cunning and stealthy who cull the sheep from the flocks.

Sheep have no other natural defense in their physical makeup so they rightly flock together for safety from the wolves. Even though the ones on the outer edge of the flock are the ones picked off first.

People are not much different than flocks of sheep. Besides, even the bible itself instructs believers to be like sheep.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
"Sheeple" is great. The first one to use it wins. Just like "racist."

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   
What's the matter, sheep? Can't handle the fact that the world is run by a conspiratorial elite?

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   
You could say the same about a lot of "labels" being used e.g. truthers etc. It really does not matter. Its human nature to label ideas and beliefs that differ to their own with "cartoon names".

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
The ironic thing here is that calling a person a sheep is being a sheep yourself, you are joining in with the collective and popular belief.

people want acceptance from their peer group no matter which peer group they belong to, this group mentality is as much a bonding behavior as monkeys nit picking.

the group pick a common trait within the group, counter thought in this case, and make it a positive attribute while creating a myth amounting to the idea that the perceived enemy is incapable of this attribute.

sheep are docile and stupid ceatures, suggesting that anyone that disagrees with your world view is docile and stupid also suggests that anyone agreeing is smart and vibrant. this creates instant respect and an immediate bond within the group.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Hazelnut

People are not much different than flocks of sheep. Besides, even the bible itself instructs believers to be like sheep.

And it would seem that is the only commandment that xtians follow to the letter

Here's 16 seconds worth of sheep madness (nearly on topic)

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I love the term "sheeple". I know whenever somebody uses it against me who I am dealing with.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   
For sure. We should believe in education not segregation.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   

What's up with the ridiculous labeling of people as sheep and sheeple?

Frankly, I kinda like the usage. You see, people tend to affix markers to themselves by the symbolism that they identify with. When I hear language like 'troublemakers' or 'you people...' or 'sheeple', I have a pretty good idea of who I'm dealing with.

Those aggressive Action Avatars are another fine example.
Really, when people tack signs onto their own foreheads, it's just does me a favour. They forget...it's not just sheep that live in herds...

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I prefer the term "sleeple",

or am I now being racist towards people who suffer from narcolepsy?

Peace

p.s.
before you trip all over yourself about the "sheep" used in my avatar, you might find that there's more then one way to use a term. In the case of my avatar, I actually mean what I say. His sheep. All a matter of context.

[edit on 26-5-2009 by 2Faced]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Frankly, I kinda like the usage. You see, people tend to affix markers to themselves by the symbolism that they identify with. When I hear language like 'troublemakers' or 'you people...' or 'sheeple', I have a pretty good idea of who I'm dealing with.

Those aggressive Action Avatars are another fine example.
Really, when people tack signs onto their own foreheads, it's just does me a favour. They forget...it's not just sheep that live in herds...

A picture speaks a thousand words eh?

Funny you would base your opinions on an avatar and not on the words spoken.

This tells me a lot about who I'm dealing with too.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Thank you, Chadwickus! These are my thoughts as well. I am so sick of people on here calling anyone "sheeple" who disagree with their version of "truth". I come on ATS for rational argument, not name-calling.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Yes, that term bothers me, a lot.

Using the term "sheeple" is the conspiracy theory persons equivalent to calling someone a disinfo agent when talking about Billy Meier or calling someone a racist during a discussion about politics.

These terms are what comes out of people mouths when they simply CAN NOT argue their point or beliefs. They use these terms thinking that they have won.

When I see any of the above terms used in accusations, I know that the person accusing really has no argument or point but wants to disguise that fact by attacking other people. If they are a real jerk too, they will simply put something like, "Baaaaa Baaaaaaa Bleet Bleet Baaaaaa Baaaaaaa".

When someone uses these terms, this is what they are really saying;
"Well, I cant argue with the points you brought up, so I'm just gonna call you a racist\disinfo agent\sheeple to make myself feel better while having an excuse to ignore everything you just said and remain willfully ignorant. Hopefully my completely uncalled for insults will make others ignore your valid points too."

[edit on 26-5-2009 by Tiloke]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
*Baaaaa Baaaaaaa Bleet Bleet Baaaaaa Baaaaaaa*

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Charis
reply to post by Chadwickus

Thank you, Chadwickus! These are my thoughts as well. I am so sick of people on here calling anyone "sheeple" who disagree with their version of "truth". I come on ATS for rational argument, not name-calling.

Good luck with that. Most posts will probably be like with the following.

Originally posted by blupblup

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tiloke

Good luck with that. Most posts will probably be like with the following.

Originally posted by blupblup

Terrible huh?

Someone having a laugh/ being sarcastic...

I was baa'ing and bleating myself....not at anyone else.

I've never called anyone a sheep or referred to groups as sheeple either.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I agree that name calling is probably not the right thing to do...however, people, a lot of people, are like sheep, if you don't believe me, just talk to a few. Just a few days ago I was in our local library shopping for some books. A nice looking lady was there, and she too was looking. She picked up a copy of of a David Icke book, "....and the truth shall set you free." and I told her, that is a good book there. "Is it Christian?" she said, I cannot read any book unless it's a Christian book, she said. I then began to tell here that the time has come to expand your mind, and take in all information available, for the end of time is very near. She then told me that I had better give my heart and soul to Jesus, or I would be going straight to Hell. I walked away at this. Care to tell me that lady was not a sheeple?

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Someone having a laugh/ being sarcastic...

Yup coz that's what we do in a herd, you tell him bro

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Thus nullifying the derogation by calling someone a sheep.

So what's the rant for? :bash:

Actually that's probably the dumbest logic I've ever heard (and quite contrarian, too.) Anyhoo, term sheeple is not popular. Your average fat and dumb American has probably never even heard of it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join