It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Last night i was on the border patrol of crazytown

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by pieman
what i would suggest is that if it was possible to break down the preconceptions without resorting to insanity or narcotics, it would be preferable.

There are, as I mentioned several in my post. Often these are seen as different simply because they aren't as dramatic. They seem to take longer. Truth is, what can be gained quickly through what can be termed as drastic means can take years to understand. The process isn't shortened, only the time of gather the necessary "information". That's why other practices like yoga, meditation, mantras, sweat lodge, tobacco ceremonies, mild narcotics, pranayama... have been espoused for thousands of years. Because they work and they do so with minimal (but varying even in that short list) stress to the traveler. But that doesn't mean they are preferable to every individual, or necessarily the right course for everyone. Just as some may find they never fully return from the "Abyss", others find practices like meditation to be too "comfortable" to gain what they find necessary.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I think sometimes our filters can invert themselves and become projections which then take on a life of their own, where we start to filter based on what we're projecting, and that it then becomes a self-reinforcing habituation of thought and perception. And thus, the psychotic then sees and experiences what he or she is expecting to see, and looking for. Where it gets really crazy, is when the focal point of awareness in expectation and the projection is so powerful, that certain non-local quantum effects can occur, further reinforcing the process with unequivocal evidence given by reality itself.

For example, when I went to "crazy town" and was hospitalized briefly, I was sitting in the lounge area watching TV and a sportscaster talking head was on, and I got it in my head that if I focused on him continually screwing up his lines, that he would - and he DID! It kept on happening, and at one point, he looked up and around himself and threw up his hands and exclaimed that he didn't know what was happening, and I KNEW that somehow, I had effected him at a distance by the mere power of observation and expectation. A mere coincidence you say? I don't think so.

The human mind is a very powerful thing, and so we must be careful what we pray for, and what we believe, percieve and project. And sometimes it's easy to get caught up in a habitual loop of thinking.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

"Ignoring what seems irrelevant to your immediate needs may be good for your mental health but bad for creativity.

Focusing on every sight, sound, and thought that enters your mind can drive a person crazy. It interferes with an animal's hunt for something to eat, or a busy person's efforts to sleep. As you might guess, psychologists have a term for ignoring the irrelevant; they call it "latent inhibition." A team of them at Harvard has discovered that students who score low in this seemingly vital trait are much more likely to be creative achievers than those who excel in putting things out of their minds."

Creativity tied to Mental illness

I remember that at one point I could observe what my senses were sensing but it would not get processed anywhere from half a second to a few. The problem was when I focused on them.

The process isn't shortened, only the time of gather the necessary "information".

This sentence kind of struck me. I remember reading this one day.

Time perception dysfunction has been demonstrated in patients with schizophrenia. The aim of this study was to investigate whether judgements about brief durations of time (less-than-or-equals, slant2 s) were disturbed in non-clinical high-schizotypal individuals. A total of 101 non-clinical university students completed the Schizotypal Personality Questionnaire (SPQ: Raine, 1991) and a temporal bisection task. In the latter, subjects were required to categorise a probe duration as short or long, based upon the similarity with two referents. All participants completed two temporal bisection conditions, a 400/800 ms condition and a 1000/2000 ms condition. Temporal bisection performance was compared in individuals with total SPQ score below and above one standard deviation from the mean. In addition, the whole sample was used to examine the correlation between bisection performance and schizotypal dimensions (cognitive/perceptual, interpersonal, and disorganisation). Compared to low SPQ scorers, high SPQ scorers judged durations significantly shorter in the 1000/2000 ms condition. Within schizotypy dimensions, both cognitive/perceptual and interpersonal dimensions were significantly associated with the shorter duration judgement. These findings provide evidence for time perception dysfunction among people with schizotypal traits and, therefore, for a continuum between subjects within the general population and clinically defined cases of schizophrenia.
linkinghub.elsevier.com...

Omegapoint, a similar event happen to me. I was watching a football game (I think it was the Superbowl) and it was like my eyes followed everyone in detail. I was predicting what would happen when the plays started and I would be right. I stopped watching it because I thought it was strange.

[edit on 27-5-2009 by Another 1evel]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

That is exactly how it was described in that book, the utter and complete desolation when going through the madness/rite of passage no matter how you get there i might add. Was it worth it in the end? I mean did it change you for the better or worse?

reply to post by OmegaPoint

Thanks for that, you are saying that for at least one time you really had a conscious effect on reality on a scale rarely experienced with that reporter? That is pretty neat although not very nice to the victim of course. Nice to see that in the western world there are examples, and quite a few, of people who have had an episode and came back relatively unharmed or at least in a workable state of being
Is it a case of what doesn't kill you makes you stronger?

reply to post by Scope and a Beam

Thanks for sharing
. Ihad something similar in regards of going to pieces because my parents were home late, i really was convinced that they had died but they ended up stuck in traffic. Yes i felt like a moron afterwards but was extatic that they did not die

reply to post by groingrinder

That is a pretty good idea really, praying/asking the ethereal powers to watch over you while making a journey into the deep and unrecognized. And i agree; respect for the ones the succesfully get through it and able to use it for their benefit.

reply to post by TravelerintheDark

Useful information, thanks for sharing. I agree with everything you wrote down there

reply to post by pieman

"what i would suggest is that if it was possible to break down the preconceptions without resorting to insanity or narcotics, it would be preferable."

True words. Trying to induce or consciously allow an episode does sound pretty bizarre, on the other hand 'insanity' always insues in some form when confronted with a total new way of looking at things or new ways to gether information. If someone is deaf his whole life and suddenly able to hear he will have a whole range of emotions come over him, just because it is all new.

reply to post by earthman4

I promise i won't shoot you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join