It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Transportation overhaul bill clears Senate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Texas Transportation overhaul bill clears Senate

www.star-telegram.com

In one key provision, the measure would repeal the Trans-Texas Corridor, a proposal by Gov. Rick Perry to build a $184 billion network of toll roads over the next 50 years.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 5/26/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
The article in itself is pretty boring, just a bunch of legislative funding mumbo jumbo, but tucked away way at the bottom was the above sentence. I found this on Google News and I believe this is why it was on there. This is pretty big news.

The Trans Texas Corridor is the start of the much speculated NAFTA Superhighway system in the U.S. Private contracts were to be awarded to a partnership between the Spanish Goliath - Cintra, one of the largest private developers of transport infrastructure in the world, and Zachry Construction Company of San Antonio. It is to be a toll road with most toll proceeds leaving the country to pay back Cintra for financing and development.

www.star-telegram.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit to add: Yes, it must pass the House still. It is a very heated battle between the citizens of Texas and the Texas Government.

The 22-9 vote Monday put Fort Worth, Arlington and other Tarrant County cities closer to a long-sought goal of financing billions of dollars in road and rail projects. But supporters face more challenges as the legislation moves into the hands of a House-Senate conference committee with seven days left in the 2009 session.

[edit on 5/26/2009 by semperfortis]

[edit on 26-5-2009 by timewalker]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 01:16 AM
link   
But it has to go back to the house, then passed in final form and
there is 9 days left for session?

Will the Governor sign at that point if it passes?

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 02:29 AM
link   
People in Texas are opposing this bill because it would add a gas tax of 12.5 cents to pay for local infrastructure for roads,rail and commuter rail. I do not think most know that it will abolish the Trans Texas Corridor that would be a cancer for the country. They usually sneak these kind of bills IN under radar, not OUT. This is probably the plan though, get the public to oppose the new taxes and in comes the TTC.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by timewalker
People in Texas are opposing this bill because it would add a gas tax of 12.5 cents to pay for local infrastructure for roads,rail and commuter rail. I do not think most know that it will abolish the Trans Texas Corridor that would be a cancer for the country. They usually sneak these kind of bills IN under radar, not OUT. This is probably the plan though, get the public to oppose the new taxes and in comes the TTC.

I don't understand your comment. If the public opposes the new taxes that the TTC would institute and abolishes the TTC, how can they get the TTC in?

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
this is going to happen
the law firm working with is a Giuliani firm

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Unless the people of the Republic of Texas hold a tighter leash on the political party games, this will pass. And you can rest assured that the Governor WILL sign it into law..., right before going our to party with the 'winners.'

The SPP and NAFTA are essential to the eventual destabilization of the Union, which is critical to the supranational banking cartel's plans to ensure utter financial dominion over all things.

Texas has an excellent track-record for keeping their political royalty in line. Let's hope the people can maintain control, before the careerist politicians and transnational corporations get their machinery in place. It's almost too late.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

I say that because then it looks like they tried to do something for the people. I do not believe the House will pass it. Gov. Perry probably will certainly not sign it into law. This is his baby after all. This way at least some of the reps. will get re-elected next term. I hope I am surprised. The original House bill to kill the TTC was HB11 now this is SB 885. Only seven days left in session. Next year it will probably be squashed first thing after the public cools off. Then Gov. Perry looks like salvation again. No 12.5 cent tax hike and TTC is back on the table.

[edit on 26-5-2009 by timewalker]

new topics

top topics

join