It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Controversial Pieces of Evidence for Alien Life

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Great post mate S&F, is interesting that the boost in life could have came from this type of bacteris millions of years ago. Just imagine all this madness was created by some bacteria on a meteor
priceless

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chovy

10. 2004, A mysterious radio signal is received by the SETI project on three occasions - from the same region of space.
In February 2003, astronomers with the search for extraterrestrial intelligence project, used a massive telescope in Puerto Rico to re-examine 200 sections of the sky which had all previously yielded unexplained radio signals. These signals had all disappeared, except for one which had become stronger.

[edit on 25-5-2009 by Chovy]

Wooow, ive never heard of that one - Ive heard of the WOW signal but not this one. Did they ever hear anything else after that?

I want to look into this now, if any of you have any links please supply!

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
thanks for all the kind words guys. but were have all the skeptics gone? did we scare them off? usually phage would show up right about now and try to proove me wrong.

[edit on 26-5-2009 by Chovy]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Chovy

Well done. I don't have anything deragatory to say to you Chovy. I think what you're doing is starting from the most basic of lifeforms and establishing an almost overwhelming probability that even within our own solar system, there is life apart from this planet.

I think that's important. Some folks would be shocked just to have to accept that basic precept. What you've done is create a series of reported data that is a starting point for exploring more elaborate lifeforms.

We humans might think in terms of microbes, bacteria, viruses, then evolving upward past flatworms to other self-mobilizing life. What if intelligence greater than ours manifests itself somewhere in a lifeform that didn't evolve past a creature that resembles a flatworm? Would we recognize it for what it was? I seriously doubt it.

We have organized hivemind creatures here on Earth -- ants, bees, others -- I think there's a good probability that hivemind creatures evolve into self-aware sentience, and also believe that it's possibly the best strategy for species survival.

Good thread

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
It's good to know that so many people ASSume to know what a "debunker" believes. Speaking for myself anyway, the argument about us being so "arrogant" to believe we're the only ones in the universe, etc...I don't believe we're the only life in the universe - I just don't buy into the whole religion of alien visitation. As I said in one of the other thousand back and forth alien argument threads - if there is intelligence out there so advanced that they can travel at hundreds of times the speed of light, why are you so arrogant to assume that they must be visiting us? That would be like a human visiting an amoeba farm.

Well, now that I made my "debunking" post, I better call my pals with the MIB and get my paycheck.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by NathanNewZealand
How about the fact that the number of planets in the universe is estimated to be INFINITE. This fact coupled with the fact that Earth is NOT special at all, our sun is the same as ALL other suns, our galaxy is the same as ALL other galaxies, is there life here? Yes.

In my opinion (which is based on COMMON SENSE) there are an INFINITE number of planets which are teeming with life in all shapes and sizes and at all stages of evolution. It's pretty much mathematically impossible for this to be the only one.

Okay, let me explain this again. If you have a box with a red balloon in it, and have absolutely no idea how it got there, what makes you think that if you make the box bigger that you absolutely MUST find another balloon in it somewhere? How does it get there? Magic?

Perhaps Earth really is special in that in all of eternity and infinity, the billions upon billions of dice thrown only came up "alive" on this planet (at least so far). You really can't talk about "mathematical impossibility" until you have accurate numbers.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
There are two thematic elements being interwoven in the narrative above, the second of which does not belong: whether live exists elsewhere in the vast grandness of the Universe that we inhabit and a claim that from microbes and bacteria complex life shall arise.

An evolutionary process from where humankind emerged from single cells has yet to be substantively proven; is categorically unmapped and purely hypothetical. Discussions on Darwinism and Evolution should be written to a separate thread.

I do not believe we are solitary beings in our cosmos. Reasonable proof of life extant of the Sol system should be, for the sake of brevity, recognisable and probably what most of us would generally imagine.

Mathematics whispers different truths to all people. The reality that belies the purest of sciences stands for many things, but that we evolved from bacteria is definitely not one of them.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Kidlcarus78

Wow. Well said.

Here is the second line of my post just telling you, again, well said.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Kidlcarus78

A well-composed response to the thread
Nonetheless, the thread refers to 'evidence for alien life' so bacteria is allowed. You are quite right, the thread isn't for discussing Darwinism, Evolution, ID or Creationism.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticPerhaps
reply to post by NathanNewZealand

Let me sum up everything you said Nathan. (Because I agree wholeheartedly)

There are so many stars, planets and nebulae that we might as well say the universe is infinite. Believing we are alone in the universe is not only illogical, it's arrogant. If there is other life in the universe, it is also somewhat illogical and especially arrogant to believe we are the most advanced. Therefore, if there is life more advanced than us, it is beyond arrogant to believe we know the limitations of technology, if there are any.

Under this logic, which I believe to be incredibly elementary, my dear Watson, there is no scientific basis for rejecting the idea of extraterrestrial visits to Earth.

Edit: Nor is there any scientific basis for rejecting the idea of any technology, from time travel to faster-than-light speed.

Edit 2: #5 - HAHA, 2001 space odyssey anyone?

[edit on 26-5-2009 by SkepticPerhaps]

It's like the quote spock made in the new star trek movie, "An ancestor of mine maintained, that if you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." Granite there is a lot of ways to interpret that but seems to fit this case only difference being by the numbers it's more plausible than improbable.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Very cool post. I, too, was not aware of #10. And after looking over some information about it on a few other sites, I recalled a thought I had a few years back about the way SETI works.

Would it be possible for an craft launched from Earth to take up a position outside the solar system and transmit a signal which would then be interpreted by Earth-bound listeners as coming from a much more distant source? I don't know much about the physics of how radio waves travel through space, nor how the distance to their sources is measured and determined, but I've occasionally wondered if a "Wow!" signal could be emulated or faked somehow.

Don't get me wrong here. I'm not a skeptic. I find the topic of searching for alien life to be very fascinating. However, given the amount of top secret funding that NASA (and who knows which other government agencies around the world) receives, I would not be at all surprised to one day learn that they'd been actively deceiving folks for reasons which, in the present, we could only speculate on.

Again, very cool OP. 10 points that make a person think and use their imagination a bit.
Thanks for sharing with us.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ls1cameric

Originally posted by MR BOB
reply to post by NathanNewZealand

our sun if definatly not the same as all other suns, know what you are talking about before posting a comment like that.

??? I think you may have missed the point he was trying to make...

But to elaborate on your comment, It's not the same as all others but it's not unique either...

Actually are solar system does appear to be quite unique so far at least And the earths position in our loar system couldnt be any more perfect to close we wing up like venus to far mars. Turns out too that terrestrial planets are very rare from what we observe. Much more likely gas planets are produced. When terrestrial planets form they need a Jupiter and Saturn just to survive the collisions these planets get rid of planet killers. Though i agree that there is life out there question is did they have all the requirements to become sentient i think the odds of this may be far greater than we think. As for the sun as yet we have not found a comparable sun to ours some that are close but nothing comparable.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Has anyone considered the Drake Equation in all this?

Evidently 350 exoplanets have already been discovered, and it looks like there are a lot more yet to be discovered.

According to the Drake Equation, there are an estimated one thousand planets in the Milky Way galaxy alone that could support intelligent life. Given the vast number of galaxies in the universe (estimated at around 100 billion) Drake calculates there are something like a hundred thousand billion planets in the universe capable of supporting intelligent life. As the following article proposes:

Suffice to say here that, even by conservative estimates, this highly regarded equation suggests around 1000 planets in our galaxy alone are likely to support intelligent life. Given that at least as many as 100 billion galaxies exist, that equates to somewhere in the region of 100,000 billion planets in the universe where intelligent life may well have developed. That’s one hundred thousand billion. Clearly you’d get better odds on JFK being shot by a lone gunman than on us humans being the only conscious apes in town.

Drake article...

But the real interesting thing is that the article goes on to argue that the reason we haven't been contacted, openly at least, is because of the potential threat we pose to any prospective visitors:

And so to the sixty-four-thousand-dollar question: if life does exist in the universe, why have projects like SETI not yet picked up any signs of its existence—light pulses, radio signals, texts, emails? Why have the aliens not attempted contact?

Or could it simply be that we in our relatively Neanderthal state are still unable to tune in to the kinds of exotechnological communication systems the aliens might be spamming us with?

And further:

In other words it’s surely now time to get a grip and start acting in a manner more conducive to fostering interplanetary relations—a bit less Neanderthal, a bit more progressive. Send out the right signals and the plethora of civilizations monitoring us might just feel a tad more inclined to communicate.

After all, until we start acting like a race worth knowing can we truly expect that anyone should want to know us?

Source...

Interesting thought...

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I would be happy even if I found a microbe on another planet.
Who cares how big or how small it is, in the end its still alien life.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by winston_boy

1000 planets in the entire milky way you do realize that you can scatter 1000 planets across the milky way and there is still the fact can intelligent life make it? And if so will it be at the same time as other lifeforms then of course there is the vast distances involved.Did the intelligent life form develop to be able to use tools.Good example here dolphins are supposed to be highly intelligent but i don't think they'll be able to build anything do to physical limitations. Did a global disaster take them out before they could reach even a minimal level of intelligence. Truth is i think intelligent life may indeed be very rear. In fact if there was any more than 10 intelligent species in the milky way id be shocked and out of those 10 you may get 1 capable of interstellar flight. And then they would have to know you were there to want to visit you. Simply because the entire milky way is just way to big for them to find you by accident.The drake equation doesn't even take half the variables involved in getting to intelligent life forms. Its what we called in the military a WAG.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
This is a nice quote, an ancient times Drake equivalent if you like.

"To suppose that earth is the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to believe that in an entire field sown with millet, only one grain will grow."
Metrodorus of Chios, 4th century B.C.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I feel if Scientiests today in this fields keep looking for micro bio which would not posssibly be able to supprot life in a difficult area . Come on We are here then surely another species somwhere is there who cares about micro bio life so what if we find that on mars. LOL If you konw your stuff then you know thats already a waste of time?

Thats why your here? some people have religion some people know the truth? We just Guess in between LOL if we were the olny inteliginat life and only god made us why bother with universe? He would still be making it just now if he made earth in 5 days he would still be maknig planets and stars not even be 40 Light years away lol!

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
What really made me stop and think is that there are complex molecules, like amino acids and sugars, all over space. They are in meteorites and just floating around. Now, if the same kind of stuff that makes up my DNA and proteins is in space, it seems very likely that there is life somewhere else. Why not intelligent life too?

Clues To A Secret Of Life Found In Meteorite Dust

Sugar in Space

Complex organic molecules detected in interstellar space

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Lookingup

The argument isnt if life exists its probably all over the place the question is does intelligent life exist!

r Gerrit Verschuur said he believes that though there is very likely life out there — perhaps a lot of it — it is very unlikely to be both intelligent and able to communicate with us.

Verschuur presented his take on the Drake equation, formulated by astronomer Frank Drake in 1960, that provides a means for calculating the number of intelligent civilizations that it is possible for humans to make contact with.

The equation relates those chances to the rate of star and habitable planet formation. It includes the rate at which life arises on such planets and develops intelligence, technology, and interplanetary communication skills. Finally, it factors in the lifetime of such a civilization.

Using Drake’s equation, Verschuur calculated there may be just one other technological civilization capable of communicating with humans in the whole group of galaxies that include our Milky Way — a vanishingly small number that may explain why 30 years of scanning the skies for signs of intelligent life has come up empty.

[edit on 5/28/09 by dragonridr]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join