It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hubble Panarama of the Carina Nebula

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
The Carina Nebula has alway facinated me.
This is perhaps one of the best pictures I have ever seen of it.

In one of the brightest parts of Milky Way lies a nebula where some of the oddest things occur. NGC 3372, known as the Great Nebula in Carina, is home to massive stars and changing nebula. Eta Carinae, the most energetic star in the nebula, was one of the brightest stars in the sky in the 1830s, but then faded dramatically. The Keyhole Nebula, visible left the center, houses several of the most massive stars known and has also changed its appearance. The entire Carina Nebula spans over 300 light years and lies about 7,500 light-years away in the constellation of Carina.

enjoy

daz

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
It always surprises me when people say that the universe is a peacefull and well organized neatly place, then I look at this, and it looks like some shts gone down in it! Some serious crashes, nonetheless its a beautiful pic, may make it my background maybe.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   
The Universe is organized Chaos. Evolution comes from destruction, one species is wiped out in favor of another, galaxies crash into each other solar systems collide, It is a great spectacle.

And we have front Row Seats.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hallberg Rassy

The Universe is organized Chaos. Evolution comes from destruction, one species is wiped out in favor of another, galaxies crash into each other solar systems collide, It is a great spectacle.

And we have front Row Seats.

Actually if you think of it we have nosebleed seats, but hey, in a few hundred years, with better advancement we can move up to the skyboxes and see the whole shebang!

This is only 0.000001 percent of the universe, and that my friend is a great exagerattion!

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   
By crikey

Every time I see the Carina, it takes my breath away. It looks like ideas of 'limbo' or the weird dimension in comics. I can imagine some hero floating around on a rock in 'high strangeness.' Can anyone else see the 'skull' in the top left quarter?! Anyway, there's nothing like mankind for trying to confine beauty to categories and facts...and I'm no different

Here's a 'road map' Carina Nebula with 'light year' scale...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/824179f1182e.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 03:15 AM
link   
here's a picture that i've had of Eta Carinae, that's got a 6000x2906 resolution!

ain't it sweet?!

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Seeing things like this makes you realize just how massive the universe really is.

I'm always amazed by photos like this. There is so much out there, what wonders are we yet to see?

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
By crikey

Can anyone else see the 'skull' in the top left quarter?!

Here's a 'road map' Carina Nebula with 'light year' scale...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/824179f1182e.jpg[/atsimg]

Wow thank you very much for the light year scale diagram.
That really puts things into perspective.

Yes I see the skull.
That is the first time it has ever been pointed out to me..

I have come across a few sites where the key hole has been likened to an angel with wings.

again thank you.

daz__

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Eta Carinae - Hopefully it will happen in our lifetime...

Very large stars like Eta Carinae use up their fuel very quickly because of their disproportionately high luminosities. Eta Carinae is expected to explode as a supernova or hypernova some time within the next million years or so. As its current age and evolutionary path are uncertain, it could explode within the next several millennia or even in the next few years. LBVs such as Eta Carinae may be a stage in the evolution of the most massive stars; the prevailing theory now holds that they will exhibit extreme mass loss and become Wolf-Rayet Stars before they go supernova, if they are unable to hold their mass to explode as a hypernova.[18]
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hallberg Rassy

galaxies crash into each other solar systems collide, It is aThe Universe is organized Chaos.

I was listening to a radio show from one of my favourite scientists where he was talking about galaxies colliding and he was saying with space and the size of it that the likleyhood of there being any collision's was minimal.

daz__

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Next_Heap_With

Very large stars like Eta Carinae use up their fuel very quickly because of their disproportionately high luminosities. Eta Carinae is expected to explode as a supernova or hypernova some time within the next million years or so. As its current age and evolutionary path are uncertain, it could explode within the next several millennia or even in the next few years. LBVs such as Eta Carinae may be a stage in the evolution of the most massive stars; the prevailing theory now holds that they will exhibit extreme mass loss and become Wolf-Rayet Stars before they go supernova, if they are unable to hold their mass to explode as a hypernova.[18]

That sounds a little like the local weather forcast we do get.. It will rain tomorrow. If it doesn't rain tomorrow the cloud may freeze and fall as a chunk of ice 1 mile wide. If not well it may happen in a million years.. wikipedia for ya. What they have said there in that paragraph is basically the same as saying we haven't a clue what is happening there but untill something happens we are going to pretend we do know what is going on.

Thank you for bringing that up all the same.

peace

daz__

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:29 AM
link   
These images are amazing, thankyou.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3c78b2a3cbce.jpg[/atsimg]

My favorite image...a picture of an alien devil.

top topics

join