It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do You Find it Hard to Connect to Non-Conspiracy Theorists ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I was wondering how many people here on ATS find it difficult (or impossible) to connect and/or build friendships with people who do not have any interest in conspiracy theories or non - mainstream news and books themselves ? I'm one of those people who don't read magazines, only watch about 2 hours of TV a week, read mostly non-fiction books covering every weird and wacky subject possible and so forth. My thoughts are ordinarily concerned with contemplating what I've been reading when they are not on humdrum domestic concerns, and I find it really difficult to chit chat about mundane stuff for too long before feeling terribly bored. Since joining ATS last year I've gone full throttle into the rabbit hole and it's been the most intellectually exhilarating ride of my life. My brain is only ever stimulated now when engaged with "rabbit hole" topics . I can't seem to switch it off for long , there is always something new to read about or think about or research. I see the world around me completely differently, but the problem is, that not a soul I know (apart from my partner) is on my wavelength ! It's so curiously isolating but when I'm here on ATS there is the sense of kindred spirits everywhere and that's a fabulous feeling. I just don't seem to meet anyone OUTSIDE of cyber space who I sense any kind of connection with.

I feel completely balanced psychologically so it's not as if I'm "overdoing" the research, it's just I have been changed at such a fundamental level since having my "eyes opened" that I just cannot seem to connect to people around me on anything other than a superficial level. It's also alot harder to feel any interest in people I might meet in the course of daily life as well....I don't know about you but I can instantly "know" if there is going to be some empathy between myself and another person and well...there never is this feeling.

Does anyone else here feel this way ? Does it get you down ? I feel like such an oddball sometimes, like an alien on my own planet

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I cant either.I usually just bite my lip though,if a topic comes up that i know about and the people debating are talking spoon fed crap i'll keep my mouth shut.As it usually just causes more problems than its worth,and even when i have debated in the past,they usually don't listen or dont believe me so it's a pointless venture.I dont know what it is,i dont want to come off as elitist.But sometimes when your talking to your average person who watches the MSM and reads the newspapers,believes every word of it.Look into their eyes,listen to the replies they make.It really does feel like you are talking to a different species,i know that sounds bad and elitist but thats how i feel sometimes when im debating a subject with someone and they just WONT listen.Its like a sponge thats soaked up all the water it can and wont take anymore no matter how hard you try.

[edit on 25-5-2009 by Solomons]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I certainly do. I find it difficult to even bring up serious talk of UFO's, 9/11, and the Federal Reserve. Even non-conspiracy talk is sometimes ends up just being superficial chat about material possessions, television, music, or stereotypes of people. Nothing too deep. I call those type of people "mainstreamers".

Suppose I'm the fish that goes against the tide.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
This has really been getting to me for a couple of years now. The more I know, the more I want to share. It seems my duty to inform, yet I haven't found a single person who's ready to wake up. It's so incredibly frustrating, I honestly lose a bit of my sanity sometimes.

I feel a sense of urgency on many global issues. I find most people to be insane, literally. They keep doing the same things, never getting anywhere! I just don't see why people can't stop for just one minute, and take a look around. I honestly think most people are aware subconsciously that we're on the brink of something enormous. They find it "polite" not to talk about it. Not to think about it. Just deny it. Keep the machine moving.

Once you are aware, there's no going back. I think it's just the role we play. The few are informed, most could care less. Perhaps we're a bit insane, too. We keep trying to inform, understand, crack the code. Where has this gotten us?

I simply can't be moved by mundane actions & topics. Most people are satisfied going to a concert, a movie, or gossip. I barely even register these events. When the state of humanity is at stake, how can I spend my time on all that nonsense?

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Yes i do but I don't let it bug me.
I like my friends to deny ignorance!!
The ones who don't want to even talk about ANYTHING are the ones I have realized will be the lambs led to the slaughter...its their choice and there is nothing I can do so I let them be who they want to be and worry about myself...god knows I tried.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I would love to find that golden nugget, that little bridge where people decide or choose to walk over from viewing the X-factor one day to ATS (or other alternative) the next, and being consciously aware of their movement! Now that would be a discovery.

There must be something that makes someone just read something one day that they never would have before - like a moment of truth (excuse the pun, lol) whereby a typical person decides to take a diversion from the information highway, and head on up to those backwoods that have always eluded their minds, but not their sight.

Granted, the truth is not on ATS per se, and ATS does not hold rights of ownership over such a matter. It does however, offer that doorway to alternative discussion with people that have taken that diversion, looked left or right of centre and just opened the throttle.

Do I get annoyed that I cannot talk to the driver on the highway about the backwoods? No, I can talk about anything, but I certainly am curious as to why I am looking across at his position and asking what exactly separates us.

I'm rambling, but I think you get my drift.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I find it best not to get into it with Non-Conspiracy Theorists. I mean anybody with abit of intelligence that dosent ask questions or except a large genralisation of so called Conspiracy Theorists is a fool.
once a theory has proof it becomes a fact when someone says a fact is a Conspiracy theory its propaganda.
If people cant separate fact from someones theory be it conspiracy or otherwise there idiots. And you shouldnt care what anyone thinks especially a idiot.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
You got a partner on your wavelength!? You lucky pixie you!!

On a tad more serious note, I know exactly what you mean. It seems as though superficial life is more prominent than profound life. Even though every person can probably talk about the same subjects in the same depth and share the enthousiasm, normally such a conversation would have to end in order to get back to the soothingly mundane world. I did find a partner once who'd enjoy talking about 'deeper' subjects, but she would get really tired pretty fast, as if it drained her to think deep in a uncharted way (although maybe it was just me tiring her
). I now believe most people are like her, and possibly avoid these kinds of subjects because they do not want to be tired. On the other hand, I believe simply training this 'expanding through thought' would end the tiring - it's just something they don't do, so they tire quickly. I guess. Not to mention they might not want to entertain the possibility of life-changing thoughts - fear is a mindfreezer.

I've been able to collect some like-minded friends though - most of us don't really watch TV, read magazines - you know, 'popular' culture. I don't know if that is a cause, side-effect, or simply coincidence. We do enjoy a lot of pop culture, movies and music etc., but most of it conveys some kind of message or is simply thought-provoking. Ok, and on sunday evening we enjoy no-brainers
Not sure what I'm saying here, but like-minded people are out there.

Maybe you could benefit from something like Mensa (www.mensa.org...)..
Supposedly, there are a lot of places where intellectual people can meet, ways to unite. Although maybe you meant something else with "no single soul (other than partner) on my wavelength"..

About that wavelength.. I've found I can talk 'freely' (you know what I mean!) to people when I just stay away from subjects that are sensitive to them. Most of them are perfectly able to discuss profounder things in life for at least a short period of time, and just to resonate with them for as long as possible has come to be enough for me. The thought that resonating might extend their wavelength (along with mine) is a big silver lining as well.
Just don't give up on other people - it might be a lot tougher to resonate, but the ability to find the resonating spot remains important. Also, the path to this spot can be very strange to us.. For instance, if I want to bring up certain strange processes in capitalism, I would use an actual event like the economic crash. In that way, whatever is in the MSM is something you can talk about, because its already 'enabled' in people their minds, and they may have even thought about it already.

To conclude, I suspect that to most people it's our thoughts are unimportant - because usually they do not amount to anything. Reflecting on perception for example might seem essential to us, most people would say the perception itself is the important part. I don't expect this to ever change, as a lot of people like a simple life.. Share simple joy with those, resonate intellectually with others - that's the best I got.

I hope you made it through my garbled post - it got kind of messy :] trying to rewrite while holding on to the content doesn't really work with a weird headache. I may not have made any sense at all, but rest assured my intent was well ;]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
In the beginning of my wake up from sheep sleep, I was so gung ho, I tried to tell everyone what I was discovering. I couldn't grasp that they had no interest whatsoever. Frustrating to say the least. My family even started giving me the 'look' if they saw a topic brewing in my head.

I lucked out that my daughter finally snapped out of it and started realizing I wasn't a nut. Funny thing, it took her watching Jericho to come alive to it..

Now I just smile along with the American Idol yakkers, gawd how annoying they are!

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I can talk about all sorts of stuff and I can even sit and enjoy the X Factor just to switch off for a bit...I think what I mean essentially is there is a "line" 99.9% of people I come into contact with that will never get crossed, so that 99.9% of people won't ever really know "the meat" of who I am and so there is just no chance for any real bond, as how can you properly bond with people who you know will never "get" the real, deeper "you" ? I have to keep well away from all the subjects that interest me , subjects that to a large extent define my very essence as a person as they are such a huge part of my life given all the hours I spend researching for a book I'm trying to write.

Maybe someone with some bucks should develop a chain of conspiracy -theory drop-in cafes , a place for those of us living on a different plane of planet earth to actually meet people we can connect to ...c'mon Robbie Williams, get your cheque book out and get them cafe's started

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I think the simple solution is being open with what you know.

I'm somewhat surprised how receptive my friends have been to what I've learned about our financial system (in particular fractional reserve banking, bank generated fiat currency and the fact that charging interest for said money is blatant usury) and also on the subject UFOs.

It's all a matter of showing how you went from step A to step B so your friends know you aren't crazy. It's also worthwhile admitting where your evidence and knowledge is lacking. For instance most UFO evidence is anecdotal. Thankfully there are objective cases. Since all my friends are engineers / science-types we tend to get excited over nuts and bolts analysis.

In a way I get a little disappointed when people don't challenge me and they just shake their head in agreement. It's beneficial to face where my own evidence or knowledge on these subjects is lacking.

[edit on 25-5-2009 by Xtraeme]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by scraze

Thanks for your post, you have given me food for thought there. Perhaps I expect too much and should open up to getting just a sliver of resonance with people rather than "all or nothing". I think you are spot on with the observation of certain topics making people tired...many of the subjects alot of us read and think about are pretty intense, invariably serious and often quite alarming. It can take alot out of you mentally unless you are used to thinking about such things on a regular basis .

Yes, I know I'm very lucky to have a partner who "gets" me. He also refrains from moaning about the amount of time I spend researching and fully encourages my writing endeavours. So I have it good on the home front, thank god

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Yes it is hard to connect with people that are close minded. In fact it is very hard but thats life and you have to accept it. Some people believe in all conspiracies, some believe in a few and others think the world is rosey...

[edit on 25-5-2009 by EarthCitizen07]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
hello. ive always found it hard to connect with people even before i got into the conspiracies so it doesnt bother me now ive joined the tin foil hat brigade. ive always had the frustration with "sheeple" but before it was down to folk following rubbish music, or rubbish films or fashion and so on. ive never liked mainstream culture in general so getting into conspiracies i suppose is a natural extention of that outlook. as a conscequence though most of my friends dont drink from the mainstream, and are quite open to hearing new perspectives on things. and if they really arent into conspiracies im passionate about plenty of other things ie music, cinema and art. if i cant connect on those things with someone then i have nothing to talk to them about and our relationship will be finite

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I find it difficult to interact with anyone- life is creepy and weird

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Pabama

Dont worry,your not alone!
The internets can be our safe haven

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I used to think I was a conspiracy theorist... but if you read all the different ones around here they cannot all be simultaneously true. So many people throw around "tyranny" when they sit in the lap of modern luxury... it's sickening actually. I have difficulty connecting with any of them anymore, esp since regardless of what is going on... singularity will occur or we will destroy ourselves first... which is what makes me want there to be an NWO. :-) Besides seems like the old illuminati were more or less transhumanists way back when it was wrong to question the church etc...

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
First I wanted to share this picture

I have the same problem, I think there are four main reasons.

1. People don't want to think about these subjects because of fear.
They are scared and would rather live in dream land and pretend everything is alright.

2. People are lazy.
Thinking requires effort and they are too lazy.
Thinking is the hardest work in the world.

3. People won't take personal responsibility.
They would rather the state takes care of them, if it goes wrong someone else is to blame.

4. People are selfish.
At lot of what we discuss is to do with solving the worlds problems, most people only care about themselves and their immediate loved ones.

This sounds bad, but I treat everyone I meet like a little child, until they can show they are an adult.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by lightchild

How right you are. I was chatting with someone and casually mentioned that I have some supplies ready in the case of an emergency... that person looked at me like I was crazy. He continued on saying that we do not have to worry because the government is here to help us in an emergency. And all I said was, in case of an emergency, I did not venture into Sitx territory.

I just said I felt it is a personal responsibility to be able to care for oneself should the lights go out, and left it at that. People are definitely lazy and selfish.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I don't find it difficult to connect with non-CTers. I also hang out on a weather site, a homesteading site, a physics forum, etc.

Everybody has something to teach and something to learn, and if we can rub elbows with enough people we might just learn something.

I hate the thought of a day passing that I didn't learn something, or ........ worse yet, feeling that there is nothing left. That would be deathlike.

Nope. I feel at home here, and out there in the real world I often bring up various off-the-beaten-path ideas. It's sometimes a novel yardstick for asessing a person's convictions and openmindedness. Then [I think] that's information that can be massaged to introduce new ideas.

Where I live -- this is a wee island under British rule. Folks don't generally question government or challenge notions the way we do. I am already considered somewhat strange, and that's fine by me.

The point is to make people think. We shouldn't always be trying to preach to the choir. We can make a difference finding ways to interface with people who are comfortable within the cozy refines of the box. It takes creativity, and resources and valid arguments and critical thinking. Sometimes you have to work within the dogma of a person's beliefs to introduce alternate ideas.

Otherwise............... what do we know this stuff for? To mentally stroke each other?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join