It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"feel good" story of the day ! Forgotten diver saved by Boy Scout

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   
In a world where's there's war torn countries, hunger, child abuse.. etc, we sometimes forget about the better things in life.

That's why I'm starting the "feel good" story of the day thread. We should stop sometimes and take a look at the other things taking place around us to realize there are still good things happening to good people and the not so good things that initially happen but end up being stories of amazing survivals etc.

Here is today's story :

Forgotten diver saved by Boy Scout

NEWPORT BEACH, California (AP) -- A recreational diver forgotten at sea by a boat crew drifted five hours and prayed for his life before a Boy Scout on an excursion aboard a century-old ship spotted him.

Dan Carlock, 45, was left by his diving group Sunday as he drifted for hours about seven miles offshore.

The spacecraft engineer for Boeing Satellite Systems and three dive buddies entered the water at about 8:45 a.m. Sunday, but Carlock had problems equalizing the pressure in his ears and he fell behind. He tried following his partners' bubbles, but he lost them.

www.cnn.com...

"I figured when the dive was over they would realize I was missing and come looking for me," Carlock said.

But they never came. The boat left and headed for a shipwreck six miles southeast of the entrance to the Port of Los Angeles, said Coast Guard Petty Officer Collin Croft.

Five hours later, crew trainee Zack Mayberry, 15, stood watch on the stern of the tall ship Argus, which was full of Boy Scouts. The ship had changed course because of heavy fog.

Mayberry saw something in the water and grabbed his binoculars: About 150 yards away, Carlock's head was sticking out of the water. Mayberry handed the binoculars to a friend.

The San Diego Boy Scout troop had drilled the rescue procedure the previous day and the rescue operation began. A small motorboat was sent to pluck Carlock from the sea and he was brought aboard.

[Edited on 29-4-2004 by elevatedone]

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 01:14 PM
link   
That is what I am talking about. We need to get more of these stories in there. But it does make u think about how popular this guy was with his friends. I mean they left him to go check out sunken ship and it doesnt say they ever came back to get him. Wow, I would have gotten home and just been a tad bit pissed. How do they just leave u like that

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Great idea, elevatedone!

How the diver's crew neglected to notice his absence is beyond me! It's nice to read about a happy ending.

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 01:40 PM
link   
thanks guys, my inspiration was today's headline's about losing 10 more troops in Iraq, I got very angry and then sad and started scanning the headlines for something positive.

I also just didn't jump in and start posting, I asked for Mod approval for a feel good story of the day.... so it's trial thing right now, hopefully there will be enough good things happening to keep up with this idea.

wish me luck.

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   
That kid is going to be offered a job by the Coast Guard, watch.

new topics

top topics

join