It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officials See Doubling of Rx Overdose Deaths

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Officials See Doubling of Rx Overdose Deaths

abcnews.go.com

Once an active teenager, Jeremy Glass got hooked on pain killers at the age of 15 after injuring his knee playing football for his high school team.

Prescription drug abuse is growing among the younger population. "It was a nightmare," his mother Cyndi Glass said. "We never knew what to expect. He just wasn't the same kid."

In their five-year struggle the family spent more than $100,000 on treatment, but none of it worked.

Finally, one night when he was unable to obtain painkillers, Jeremy was so desperate for a high that he tried heroin.

It was a decision that ended up ki
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
The irony I see is that I as a middle aged man have to beg my GP for even the mildest anti depressants, pain killers and even cough syrup.

Are the big Pharmaceuticals targeting the youth? Is the medical establishment more lenient toward young people when it comes to prescribing pain killers?

Many conspiracies involve bigpharma and their influence peddling in Washington. Is this one of them?

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
There is a good analgesic out there which does not even have a known LD50 (so you can't overdose on it), is natural, has been around since before mankind, is not addictive, and has been studied for over 50 years, has numerous medicinal uses, and has even been patented by the United States government as a powerful neuroprotectant and antioxidant (US Patent 6630507).

But I can't say what it is, or talk about it. Thanks ATS.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

Yeah, I know but what do you think about kids ODing on scripts, or turning to the street when scripts aren't available?

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
One answer...

Legalize IT!

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Well the thing is with narcotic analgesics is a "catch 22".... There is nothing better at relieving the most sever pain or pain in such a wide spectrum as Opiates. NSAIDS, Tramadol, Steroids, etc can only relieve some and not major. For people with chronic pain where surgery is not possible, feasible, or futile they can not take NSAIDS (Motrin, Excedrin,etc) all the time because they cause sever stomach and GI problems and are only for mild pain. So Opioids are the only option, but they are addictive-hence the catch 22. There are some meds like Ultram (Tramadol HCL) that are analogs of Opiates but are not good at moderate and higher pain either. The "other thing" members have spoke of only works for some pain, especially neuro-type pain, other than that it is no where near as effective as Opiates for pain. So until a new non-narcotic miracle analgesic comes out this will always be an issue. That is why narcotics are DEA controlled substances and heavily regulated (sadly not enough in many states and countries). Ultimately it comes down to individual responsible use.

[edit on 5/25/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

Yep, that certainly diminished my opinion of ATS...so maybe my post will be deleted for the following comment: When I was growing up when the afore-unmentioned thing was not available we turned to inhalants. Thank God the unmentionable thing became more available in my community or I would surely have significant brain damage or be dead.

Agreed on the legalization.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
This is what happens when kids get drug tested for harmless substances that last for a long time. So instead, they take pills because its out of your system in a few days.

My doctor gives me a 30 day Rx every month and its my responsibility to make it last me the 30 days. If I ran out early and went to do heroin as a substitute then is that right to blame the doctors? Not in my opinion.

This is a kid who was abusing his Rx. He never would have had to take heroin if he didn't run out early. Tragic, but in no way is this the fault of a legal drug. This is the fault of a kid who wanted to get high and ran out early. There is no other reason you would run out of your medication early unless you were abusing it.

top topics

join