It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran's Ahmadinejad Wants to Debate Obama at the U.N.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Iran's Ahmadinejad Wants to Debate Obama at the U.N.

abcnews.go.com

Iranian officials have banned Facebook in the Islamic Republic after it became an immensely popular tool for mobilizing young voters, many of them supporters of lead challenger Mir-Hossein Mousavi.

While squelching debate in his own country, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad tried to rally his supporters today with a new proposal.

Ahmadinejad said he wanted a face-to-face debate with President Obama at the United Nations if he is re-elected next month as Iran's president.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Face -to-face with Obama?

I'd pay serious cash to see this.

President Obama, if you have it in you, I beg you to call the Iranian leader's bluff. No script, no teleprompter, if you have any national pride inside of your soul, STAND UP, answer the call, accept this challenge and expose this small man for what he really is, for the entire world to see.

Nah, it will never happen... But if it did?

I would rather see them debate the issues in public, where there can be no secrets. It is a far better option to war!

IF he is re-elected of course.

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Is Obama allowed to have his teleprompter?

I guess not.
Too bad, no debate.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
lol oh this sounds tooo good to be true,i would absolutely love to see Obama getting his ass handed to him on a silver platter while he uhmmms and ehhhs his way through the debate
damn it would be comedy gold! this must happen,im already getting excited and thinking of the possibilities,dont disappoint me!

[edit on 25-5-2009 by Solomons]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

The real comedic gold would have been a debate between Ahmadinejad and George W. Bush.

Though an Obama/Ahmadinejad debate would no doubt be a historic and absolutely priceless event.

Damn the day that world leaders choose public debate to discuss and resolve issues through the declaration of a debate winner and ultimately avoid wars.

If words were only as powerful as the weapons of war, just think of how the world would be today.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
That would be class and obama should accept, though he probably will not.

I would love to see obama and his grasp of history via the teleprompter

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

LOL. George Bush vs Ahmybreathisbad in a debate. Bush would have won. He would have just waterboarded him into agreeing with him. Long Live GW!

Obama will probably bring a nice platter of snacks (because I cant spell Hour Douvers)....

[edit on 5/25/2009 by justsomeboreddude]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I must be getting tired, when I clicked on this topic I thought it said "delete" instead of "debate"

Anyway this won't happen.

Though I would pay to see this happen too.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Since this challenge was issued by the Iranian leader if Obama accepts he should consider doing so on the condition that if he is declared the winner that Iran will agree to abandon its nuclear weapons programs and accept the IAEA agreements including verification and regular inspections.

If the Iranian leader wins he can then be made eligible to run for PM of Israel.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Why does he not he speak to the former president, president GW Bush instead, I hate to say it but Bush would be better in this type of conversation, I think they want to pick on Obama when he has just hatched from the egg, he will get stronger and more confident as he goes along.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
This is nothing new. Amhanutjopb tried to get Bush to debate as well. The leaders of the US wont waste their breath or give him the time of day as well they shouldnt. He's an idiot.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I don't know if any are aware of the fact that we have had Presidential debates but Obama is not a bad debater. I remember watching Bush during the debates and actually started to feel sorry for him up there. Why would Ahmadinejad win? That guy doesn't even count on his debating/speech skills to win elections, they just block facebook.

Good jokes about the teleprompter but if I had as many speeches as Obama does a week I would use a teleprompter as well, it's just a smart thing to do.

These debates will never happen. For a debate to happen there has to be some sort of common ground which both sides can agree to. If you don't have that then the debate can't even take place.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Styki

Have you heard Obama without a teleprompter,he stutters and pauses like there is no tomorrow.Trust me when i say an educated good orator like ahmadinejad would wipe the floor with obama.If you dont think so i'd be happy to place a 10/1 bet with you

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
lol oh this sounds tooo good to be true,i would absolutely love to see Obama getting his ass handed to him on a silver platter while he uhmmms and ehhhs his way through the debate
damn it would be comedy gold! this must happen,im already getting excited and thinking of the possibilities,dont disappoint me!

[edit on 25-5-2009 by Solomons]

I don't know, they are both a couple morons, I don't know who would be worse.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

I would do that bet but I swear if I lose I will take my vote back.

MBF

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Personally, I would like to see this take place.....only if it was on live TV in Iran. I'm a Bush man, but he would have moped the floor with Bush I think. Just think, Obama could pick him up and put him on a soap box or something...you know, to show good will and all.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

President Ahmadinejad is a very skilled, passionate and articulate public speaker and while I would not like to live in Iran he truly seems like a man who is committed to peace and understanding.

Does one dictate to their friends? Is the price of friendship to the United States having to submit to it and Israel’s every policy, every whim, every idea and ideal.

Many of us as American citizens do not even do that.

Iran has offered its hand again and again to us, and all we ever do is slap it down, and seek to dictate how our friends are supposed to act.

How many of you reading this actually know even 50 years of Iran’s history let alone thousands of years of Persian history.

How many of you know that at times in the past Iran has been a true and trusted ally and a friend to Israel as well?

How many of you actually know an Iranian or Persian living here in the United States, how many of you have actually ever visited Iran.

In other words how many of you know anything about the people of this nation other than what CNN and the politicians want you to know?

All I can say is if someone I felt threatened by or insecure about offered to engage me in a dialogue about our individual philosophies I sure wouldn’t smack that hand away.

I would love to see my country act for a change just once in the manner our forefathers wished us to always be, fair, and impartial and open that dialogue and enjoin that debate.

I would like my President to do this for me and my country.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
All I can say is if someone I felt threatened by or insecure about offered to engage me in a dialogue about our individual philosophies I sure wouldn’t smack that hand away.

Our president has said that he is open to dialog with Iran, if he is a man of his word then he should have no problem with accepting Ahmadinejad's offer.

I would like my President to do this for me and my country.

I would too, but you and I both know that they will not let him.

As always, ProtoplasmicTraveler, an outstanding post.

Thanks.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

President Ahmadinejad is a politician just like Obama, Bush and every other US politician. In fact, this offer for a debate is a political move. It's a political move that is meant to help him win his upcoming election and one that he knows is not likely to happen. Just like we know this is not likely to happen. One reason being the lack of common ground like I mentioned before.

Besides the lack of common ground there are just certain parts of issues that each side would not be able to discuss publicly. Another reason is that words have a way of becoming policy and policy should not be determined over a debate. Obama is good but one of the things I like about him is that he is going to sit down and listen to his advisers to hear the pros and cons of potential decisions.

new topics

top topics

join